border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-16, 07:07 AM   #16
Sylphie

Re: Boa constrictor identification?

It'll be hard, as in my country boas are not too popular. And if there are any breeders they are mostly having "normal" red tails with no documented origin, like the ones in pet stores... I guess the only way would be to find european or even american breeder that does international shipping.

But I would certainly love to find a smaller male that would look similiar to the one I tried to identify
Old 01-25-16, 12:26 PM   #17
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphie View Post
McCarthy Boas, thank you, they definitely looks similiar. And your boas are soo beaufitul too!

Nightflight, I'm looking for any pics of your boas, as some are as stunning as this one for me, haha!

bigsnakegirl, wow, I didn't know that. I mean, 15lbs isn't much more than I can lift, so I would be fine with snake that size. I guess most of the boas I saw were really overweight then...
Yeah, it's likely. I've seen people with 20 lb 6' boas. I would classify a 6' boa at 20 lbs as grossly overweight, and a 30 lb 6' boa as morbidly obese. They can be a bit heavier than those weights I gave, but as long as they aren't too much over it, they're good.

My boa is just shy of 6.5' and he's only just now exceeded 9 lbs. Before, when I was feeding him a large rat weekly, and gave him 2 rabbits 2 weeks apart, he was closing in on 10 lbs. Once I spaced his feedings out, after a year he was holding steady at around 8.5 lbs.
Old 01-25-16, 10:04 PM   #18
McCarthy Boas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
Yeah, it's likely. I've seen people with 20 lb 6' boas. I would classify a 6' boa at 20 lbs as grossly overweight, and a 30 lb 6' boa as morbidly obese. They can be a bit heavier than those weights I gave, but as long as they aren't too much over it, they're good.

My boa is just shy of 6.5' and he's only just now exceeded 9 lbs. Before, when I was feeding him a large rat weekly, and gave him 2 rabbits 2 weeks apart, he was closing in on 10 lbs. Once I spaced his feedings out, after a year he was holding steady at around 8.5 lbs.
Hi bigsnakegirl785

You are right about the size of the boa if it’s a Central American BCI type boa. Also all of your boa morphs are crosses so most of them will be smaller but not all of them. But you are wrong about the size of BCI Colombian and BCC locality boas as most of these boas will be larger and more robust than CA BCI boas. My Northern Brazilian BCA boas will get 6 to 7 feet and 30 + lbs. and they will not be over weight for there locality. I also have Southern Brazilian BCA boas that will get 5 to 6 + feet and will also be around 30 lbs. and they will not be over weight for there locality. Don’t forget all boas will keep growing until the day they die. However once at there adult locality size it’s a very miner amount they will grow.

Here are some pictures to show some healthy boas that are 20 to 30 lbs.

This is not my boa but is the parent to my SB BCA boas.
Old 01-25-16, 10:04 PM   #19
McCarthy Boas

Now all these boas below are over 15 years old and it show you that some locality's will get very big if it’s in there genetics and not be overweight.
As you can see this BCC Suriname boa has a very good body tone to her and she was 9’ 8” long and 46 lbs.

This is not my boa. It’s a BCC Guyana boa that is 9 foot and around 35 to 40 lbs. and it’s not overweight for it’s size.

Now this BCI Colombian boa was overweight and I did put her on a diet when I owned her. I bought her as an adult when she was 9’ 6” and over 60 lbs. When she passed away she was 10’ and 50 lbs.

Take care
Tom
Old 01-26-16, 02:57 AM   #20
Sylphie

Well, these would be definitely too big and heavy for me... but they are really beautiful, congratulations McCarthy!
Old 01-26-16, 07:58 AM   #21
dross9615

Have you looked into any morphs sylphie? There are some beautiful dwarf morphs out there and if you were to get a male they stay in the 4-5 foot range and if fed properly won't get over 10 pounds
Old 01-26-16, 08:02 AM   #22
Sylphie

dross, I must look into them then I'm really bad with knowledge about boas in general as I'm mostly colubrid fan, but well, I guess there is always time to learn more.
Old 01-26-16, 09:29 AM   #23
McCarthy Boas

Quote:
Thank you! And I would love to try find a similiar one, but as I can't lift anything heavier than 11lbs I'm pretty sure that a full adult would be too much for me.
Hi Sylphie,

Just wondering why you can’t lift anything heavier than 11 lbs.? Most boas are very tame and easy to handle even when they are big. Some of my bigger boas and retic I just have to point them in the direction I want them to go. I can even get them to go back into there cage on there own.

Take care
Tom
Old 01-26-16, 09:56 AM   #24
dross9615

actually i wouldnt even be worried about getting a dwarf because a health male should only be in the 4-5 foot range and when you had morphs in you could really getting a stunning looking snake. but hogg island boas are a good dwarf to look into. but honestly i think you would be a happy with an arabesque or motley boa just some to throw out based on you liking surinames. jungles are also a very nice morph to look into
Old 01-26-16, 10:26 AM   #25
Sylphie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCarthy Boas View Post
Hi Sylphie,

Just wondering why you can’t lift anything heavier than 11 lbs.? Most boas are very tame and easy to handle even when they are big. Some of my bigger boas and retic I just have to point them in the direction I want them to go. I can even get them to go back into there cage on there own.

Take care
Tom
It's because few years ago I was having spine correction surgery and I'm having a titan rods along all my spine so it won't twist again. I'll have it for the rest of my life, and 11lbs is the safe limit that doctors ordered. Ofc I'm sometimes lifting something heavier than that, but well, it's not what I should do on a daily basis. And anything much heavier than that can break the rods, and well, it won't be good for me for sure, as it can easily result in my death

But B.constrictors sound like a lot of fun, so I'll try to look at the smaller ones like dross suggested
Old 01-26-16, 10:30 AM   #26
trailblazer295

I think if you find a reputable breeder where you the genetics and parents size a male will stay under you 11lbs.
Old 01-26-16, 10:38 AM   #27
SnoopySnake

Check out this site Sylphie. Vin Russo is a US breeder, but his site is very informational on the different locale sizes and has pictures and its a great place to start researching. Some of these boas only get 3-4 ft.
Locality & Color Morph Boa constrictors & selectively Bred Ball Pythons Color & Pattern Morphs, Cutting Edge Herpetological Inc. Home
Old 01-26-16, 11:10 AM   #28
Sylphie

trailblazer, that's why I plan to do

SnoopySnake, thank you, I'll check it out!
Old 01-26-16, 11:23 AM   #29
trailblazer295

Quote:
trailblazer, that's why I plan to do

!
I knew we could bring you over to the dark side, resistance is futile MUAHAHAHAHAHAA
Old 01-26-16, 11:27 AM   #30
Sylphie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer295 View Post
I knew we could bring you over to the dark side, resistance is futile MUAHAHAHAHAHAA
Hahaha, there is soo many snakes I would want... but as I'm having at least few months before buying anything I can do some research about all the different species I like
Closed Thread