border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-16, 11:15 AM   #1
Sylphie

Boa constrictor identification?

Anyone can help me id this boa? I'm totally newbie with their localities and morphs, but I fell in love with this one, and so I'm super curious what it is exactly. I guess some type of local, or just a really nice "normal" red tail... Either way plesae help me. The pic clearly is not mine

Old 01-24-16, 11:19 AM   #2
dannybgoode

Re: Boa constrictor identification?

Can't help with id I'm afraid but that is a very pretty boa. Can see why you like it...
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 01-24-16, 11:22 AM   #3
Sylphie

Yeah, if I'll be able to find similiar one, then I'm very tempted to get one. I was planning rhino rat snake as my next snake, but well... that one is just soo stunning. It would be hard though if it'll be one of the big locals, as then I won't be able to hold adult without help of my boyfriend.
Old 01-24-16, 11:55 AM   #4
SnoopySnake

I can't tell you specifics but that's definitely BCC, or a true red tail, which I hate to disappoint you but I think most will get out of your size range, going by your other posts I'm thinking suriname BCC but not 100% sure

Last edited by SnoopySnake; 01-24-16 at 12:06 PM..
Old 01-24-16, 12:04 PM   #5
dross9615

Has to be a Guyana or Suriname do you have any other pics?
Login to remove ads
Old 01-24-16, 12:06 PM   #6
dross9615

Could be a Peruvian but they don't tend to have the peaks that this bcc is exhibiting so yeah I'm sticking with Guyanese or Surinamese
Old 01-24-16, 12:24 PM   #7
shrek71

By the looks of the peakes off the saddles he or she is a BCC.
Old 01-24-16, 12:44 PM   #8
Sylphie

Thank you all for your help! And dross, unfrotunately no, only this one

Snoopy, uhh it's so bad then. That's one of the most beautiful snakes I ever saw (at least for me)

Last edited by Sylphie; 01-24-16 at 12:53 PM..
Old 01-24-16, 01:01 PM   #9
Nightflight99

Firstly, it is flat-out impossible to determine the locality of a boa by just looking at it. All we can do is make an educated guess, based on the phenotype, which is known to be extremely variable. Based on the shape of the widow's peaks, that snake is most likely a South American Boa constrictor. Whether it is Guyanese, Surinamese, Brazilian, or Peruvian is impossible to say. Regardless, it is a beautiful boa and I'd love to see you keep it. As long as you "grow with it," you will most likely feel quite comfortable handling this snake even as an adult.

PS: Love the tattoo!

55.59.7 squamates, 1.1 Canis lupus, and 0.1 Homo sapiens.
Old 01-24-16, 01:06 PM   #10
Sylphie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflight99 View Post
Firstly, it is flat-out impossible to determine the locality of a boa by just looking at it. All we can do is make an educated guess, based on the phenotype, which is known to be extremely variable. Based on the shape of the widow's peaks, that snake is most likely a South American Boa constrictor. Whether it is Guyanese, Surinamese, Brazilian, or Peruvian is impossible to say. Regardless, it is a beautiful boa and I'd love to see you keep it. As long as you "grow with it," you will most likely feel quite comfortable handling this snake even as an adult.

PS: Love the tattoo!
Thank you! And I would love to try find a similiar one, but as I can't lift anything heavier than 11lbs I'm pretty sure that a full adult would be too much for me. On the other hand damn, that's the most stunning snake I ever saw, maybe we'll figure something out.
And I like the tattoo too, but it's not mine, just a pic from internet
Old 01-24-16, 07:19 PM   #11
McCarthy Boas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphie View Post
Anyone can help me id this boa? I'm totally newbie with their localities and morphs, but I fell in love with this one, and so I'm super curious what it is exactly. I guess some type of local, or just a really nice "normal" red tail... Either way plesae help me. The pic clearly is not mine

Like everyone said you will never really know what locality this boa is but it is some type of BCC. It looks a lot like a Northern Brazilian BCC to me more than a Suriname or Guyana boa.

Here are a few picture of my Northern Brazilian BCC. Also the Northern Brazilian BCC will get 6 to 7 foot + and over 30 lbs. Both of mine are very tame and love being out with me.

Take care
Tom
Old 01-24-16, 07:50 PM   #12
Nightflight99

Those are nice-looking Brazilian boas, Tom. I'll have to take some outdoors shots of mine once it warms up again.

55.59.7 squamates, 1.1 Canis lupus, and 0.1 Homo sapiens.
Old 01-24-16, 09:41 PM   #13
bigsnakegirl785

Yup, I agree with the North Brazilian ID for sure. If nothing else, we can say it looks very much BCC.

A healthy 6' boa should only be 8-10 lbs, and a 7' boa should not be much over 15 lbs. Only the truly big boas (9'-10'+) should be even approaching 30 lbs, this is universal across all boa constrictors, except for the lighter-bodied ones like longicauda and such.
Old 01-25-16, 03:05 AM   #14
Sylphie

McCarthy Boas, thank you, they definitely looks similiar. And your boas are soo beaufitul too!

Nightflight, I'm looking for any pics of your boas, as some are as stunning as this one for me, haha!

bigsnakegirl, wow, I didn't know that. I mean, 15lbs isn't much more than I can lift, so I would be fine with snake that size. I guess most of the boas I saw were really overweight then...
Old 01-25-16, 06:25 AM   #15
trailblazer295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphie View Post
McCarthy Boas, thank you, they definitely looks similiar. And your boas are soo beaufitul too!

Nightflight, I'm looking for any pics of your boas, as some are as stunning as this one for me, haha!

bigsnakegirl, wow, I didn't know that. I mean, 15lbs isn't much more than I can lift, so I would be fine with snake that size. I guess most of the boas I saw were really overweight then...

So now we know that we have to find you a nice small bloodline male BCI
Closed Thread