sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-13, 09:03 PM   #1
Zosime
Banned

New freshwater fish tank

Today i set up my 29 gallon. I got a Jack dempsey cichlid and a chinese alge eater. I got a tetra whisper 40i and im putting in my 20 gallon filter tomorow also. I have a 23 watt cfl for light. tell me what you guys think

Login to remove ads
Old 03-22-13, 11:41 AM   #2
Hurrok

Re: New freshwater fish tank

Awe I love Jack Dempseys! Probably one of my favourite Cichlids.

Did you wait at all before putting in your fish? It's usually a good idea to let the water sit for a month or so just to develop some good bacteria before putting in your nice fish. I usually put a beta or even goldfish to get the bacteria growth to grow faster, therefore making the water healthier and more balanced for your little Cichlid
1.0 Spider BP // 1.1 Pewter BP // 0.1 Pastel BP // 1.0 Lesser BP //0.1 Mojave BP // 1.0 Mojave Champagne BP // 1.0 Het Pied BP // 0.1 Phantom BP // 0.1 Western Hognose // 1.0 Cinny Sugar BP // 0.1 'Normal' BP // 0.1 Corn // 0.1 G. Rosea
Old 03-22-13, 12:09 PM   #3
Zosime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrok View Post
Awe I love Jack Dempseys! Probably one of my favourite Cichlids.

Did you wait at all before putting in your fish? It's usually a good idea to let the water sit for a month or so just to develop some good bacteria before putting in your nice fish. I usually put a beta or even goldfish to get the bacteria growth to grow faster, therefore making the water healthier and more balanced for your little Cichlid
I waited about an hour to put them in and i have alge pettets i can add if that will do anything? If the bacteria helps them grow or food or what ever im new to fish keeping lol but im getting some shrimp today to feed the little guy today if that will help?
Old 03-22-13, 02:00 PM   #4
Revenant

The bacteria will help them not die of ammonia spikes, actually. It's really rough on fish to do a fish-in cycle. Here is some advice on how to do one, now that you're already in that boat:

Cycling with Fish
Old 03-22-13, 02:14 PM   #5
Zosime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
The bacteria will help them not die of ammonia spikes, actually. It's really rough on fish to do a fish-in cycle. Here is some advice on how to do one, now that you're already in that boat:

Cycling with Fish
Oh alright, and the link wont open for me
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread