border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Varanid

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-13, 12:53 AM   #1
dinosaurdammit

Send a message via Skype™ to dinosaurdammit
Monitors: Deserving of respect (xrays included)

So I write this now with one hand, preface the story with my monitor bumped his nose rather hard against a rock in his viv while death shaking a dead rat, this caused a cut that the vet said some tripple anitbiotics would help. I attempted to put some on his nose but here is where it went south. He bit- and hard. While I attempted to remove my hand he latched harder.

I was 100% in the wrong. I do not blame him, as he was just being a monitor lizard that was irritated. It took a little bit of vinigar in his mouth before he let go and by this point I was sick and in a lot of pain. Childbirth was not that bad. I ended up going to the er because I honestly thought he broke my thumb. He bit so hard i felt something SNAP. The swelling was emence right away and I was rolling in the floor in agony.

I have never broken anything ever but this felt like I had. After some xrays ( i will be uploading the copies here so you can see some damage done ) showed no fractures as ofd yet so I am splinted and antibiotic-ed up.

Learn from my pain and my fault- monitors CAN and DO cause great injury. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be aware of this and give them the utmost respect because I so far got lucky. I will need to see a hand specilist. Now note my monitor is small. Those thinking about or already own larger monitors be aware the damage they can inflict. I have learned from this. I in no way blame him but I am now on the road to be more aware of his body language and trying to understand these prehistoric marvels.

Xrays will hopefully be uploaded tomorrow as I asked for a digital copy to give a first hand, har har hand, account of damage they can inflict when irritated or otherwise bothered. As for the antibiotic ointment? I will be wearing leather gloves to apply anything in the future and have decided its best to just handle him with leather gloves as well. Their teeth are vicious.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-09-13, 12:59 AM   #2
Corey209

Send a message via Skype™ to Corey209
Re: Monitors: Deserving of respect (xrays included)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaurdammit View Post
So I write this now with one hand, preface the story with my monitor bumped his nose rather hard against a rock in his viv while death shaking a dead rat, this caused a cut that the vet said some tripple anitbiotics would help. I attempted to put some on his nose but here is where it went south. He bit- and hard. While I attempted to remove my hand he latched harder.

I was 100% in the wrong. I do not blame him, as he was just being a monitor lizard that was irritated. It took a little bit of vinigar in his mouth before he let go and by this point I was sick and in a lot of pain. Childbirth was not that bad. I ended up going to the er because I honestly thought he broke my thumb. He bit so hard i felt something SNAP. The swelling was emence right away and I was rolling in the floor in agony.

I have never broken anything ever but this felt like I had. After some xrays ( i will be uploading the copies here so you can see some damage done ) showed no fractures as ofd yet so I am splinted and antibiotic-ed up.

Learn from my pain and my fault- monitors CAN and DO cause great injury. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be aware of this and give them the utmost respect because I so far got lucky. I will need to see a hand specilist. Now note my monitor is small. Those thinking about or already own larger monitors be aware the damage they can inflict. I have learned from this. I in no way blame him but I am now on the road to be more aware of his body language and trying to understand these prehistoric marvels.

Xrays will hopefully be uploaded tomorrow as I asked for a digital copy to give a first hand, har har hand, account of damage they can inflict when irritated or otherwise bothered. As for the antibiotic ointment? I will be wearing leather gloves to apply anything in the future and have decided its best to just handle him with leather gloves as well. Their teeth are vicious.
You've been having a whole lot of bad luck.. Good luck with your monitor.
Old 01-09-13, 01:00 AM   #3
dinosaurdammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey209 View Post
You've been having a whole lot of bad luck.. Good luck with your monitor.

He is totally fine. I just noticed the nick on his nose wasnt healing up as well so after a vet call he just suggested i try that to help it heal quicker. I learned that I have never had something bite me so hard before in my life. I am truly in awe of their bight force even smaller monitors like pajaaamas
Old 01-09-13, 01:02 AM   #4
Corey209

Quote:
He is totally fine. I just noticed the nick on his nose wasnt healing up as well so after a vet call he just suggested i try that to help it heal quicker. I learned that I have never had something bite me so hard before in my life. I am truly in awe of their bight force even smaller monitors like pajaaamas
Ah alright, well still hope he/you heals up nicely I could only imagine the bite I was bit by an anaconda today, didn't feel good.
Old 01-09-13, 01:03 AM   #5
infernalis

ouch.....

Hope you heal up fine.

Savannahmonitor.net
Login to remove ads
Old 01-09-13, 01:05 AM   #6
dinosaurdammit

Quote:
Ah alright, well still hope he heals up nicely I could only imagine the bite I was bit by an anaconda today, didn't feel good.
|

imagine your thumb being crushed over and over by a hammer. Then push thumb tacks into that and crush some more. Im not even kidding. It was horrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
ouch.....

Hope you heal up fine.

some antibiotics and time will tell. I dont think i will have any lasting damage. I did learn a lession albeit a painful one
Old 01-09-13, 01:09 AM   #7
infernalis

Quote:
|

imagine your thumb being crushed over and over by a hammer. Then push thumb tacks into that and crush some more. Im not even kidding. It was horrible

some antibiotics and time will tell. I dont think i will have any lasting damage. I did learn a lession albeit a painful one
Pictures and X-rays will do well to educate others.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 01-09-13, 01:10 AM   #8
Corey209

Quote:
|

I couldn't imagine being bit by an adult Savannah if that's how it felt with a small monitor...
Old 01-09-13, 01:14 AM   #9
dinosaurdammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
Pictures and X-rays will do well to educate others.
i9 call radiology lab where i had the xrays done in the moring to schedual a time to pic up the xrays and the doctor took some pretty high res pictures of the bite, mind you it had been cleaned- at the time of the bite he severed many blood vessels in my thumb and made blood spurt over ten feet.

Quote:
I couldn't imagine being bit by an adult Savannah if that's how it felt with a small monitor...
pajaaamas is about 4.5 or so feet long from nose to tip of tail. I dunno how large savs are but i imagine somewhat similar in size
Old 01-09-13, 01:31 AM   #10
BarelyBreathing
Varanus Queen

It's important to remember that these animals have been recently discovered to be venomous. Even a small monitor can make you physically ill, cause a lot of swelling, and possibly have some minor bleeding/clotting problems.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-09-13, 02:55 AM   #11
iBaman

Send a message via Skype™ to iBaman

Quote:
i9 call radiology lab where i had the xrays done in the moring to schedual a time to pic up the xrays and the doctor took some pretty high res pictures of the bite, mind you it had been cleaned- at the time of the bite he severed many blood vessels in my thumb and made blood spurt over ten feet.

pajaaamas is about 4.5 or so feet long from nose to tip of tail. I dunno how large savs are but i imagine somewhat similar in size
your sav is names pajamas?! =D I knew it wasn't a ridiculous name!

hope your thumb feels better soon =]
Old 01-09-13, 03:47 AM   #12
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarelyBreathing View Post
It's important to remember that these animals have been recently discovered to be venomous. Even a small monitor can make you physically ill, cause a lot of swelling, and possibly have some minor bleeding/clotting problems.
That's very hard to believe. All monitors are venomous? At what point does it go from nasty saliva to "venom".......

Also, what would be the point of a herbivore needing venom glands? What differs between a salivary gland in a lizards mouth and and venom gland?
Old 01-09-13, 04:17 AM   #13
Zoo Nanny

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 01-09-13, 05:41 AM   #14
varanus_mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
That's very hard to believe. All monitors are venomous? At what point does it go from nasty saliva to "venom".......

Also, what would be the point of a herbivore needing venom glands? What differs between a salivary gland in a lizards mouth and and venom gland?
herbivore? as far as im aware theres no species of monitors thats a herbivore theres 3 that are frugivores.

Im assuming at this point your aware of the structure of a gila monsters jaw?

where the venom glands line up with the lower jaw?

Same thing in varanids...

why would they need that sort of structure?
Old 01-09-13, 06:03 AM   #15
infernalis

Savannahmonitor.net
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread