border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-13, 09:31 PM   #1
babyboa97

suriname or guyana bcc

i cant decide can someone help, are they much different, looking for a female which one is bigger and temperament. i need some advice... i know they are more experienced keepers snakes but i already feel like i can handle it i have a c.a boa and a ball python thanks in advance.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-03-13, 09:36 PM   #2
Corey209

Send a message via Skype™ to Corey209
Re: suriname or gayna bcc

They get pretty dang big, are you sure you'll have the room for one?
Old 01-03-13, 09:37 PM   #3
babyboa97

yeaH ive been looking for a big constrictor since i got into the hobbie i have the space and money dont worry about that.
Old 01-03-13, 09:45 PM   #4
Corey209

Send a message via Skype™ to Corey209

Found this, not sure if it'll help

Quote:
To suggest that there is no difference between Surinamese BCC and Guyanese BCC is to suggest that the concept of "locality boas" is incorrect.

If we define "locality" as a specific population of boas (for example, Pokigron, Suriname or Essequibo River Delta, Guyana or Belem, Brazil) and we begin to compare boas from one locality to another, there is certainly a group of traits that emerge from each group.

It's also logical to say that because these groups are not ENTIRELY isolated (in the case of BCC), that some blending of traits occurs with neighboring populations. But, these specific traits found within localities dissipate the further away from the locality a person goes.

For instance, let's compare Essequibo River Delta Guyanese BCC to Pokigron Surinamese BCC. Putting two of these animals side by side shows OBVIOUS and striking differences! Yes, they're both BCC, but one could NEVER be mistaken for the other. The Essequibo River Delta is approximately 120 miles West of the coastal Guyana/Suriname border where (as the word "Delta" suggests) the Essequibo River dumps into the ocean. Pokigron, Suriname is about 100 miles south of the ocean and 120 miles East of the same coastal Guyana/Suriname border I mentioned earlier.

Suffice it to say, these two populations are several hundred miles apart. These physical appearances (adaptations) that make each of these populations successful in their microhabitats are different. The unique appearances/traits of the Pokigron animals may expand out (much like a bell curve) for 20... 30... maybe even 100 miles. Who knows? We simply don't have enough experience/specimens yet to know with any certainty. Likewise, the unique appearances/traits of the Essequibo River Delta Guyanese boas may expand out over a certain distance as well. Perhaps, there's even a locality of boas along the Suriname/Guyana border that have a few traits of each of these localities yet appear similar to neither due to their unique combination of traits.

So, yes. BCC from Suriname and Guyana will share similar appearances (afterall, they are all BCC and they do share a border) but they also are unique enough to be different from one another - visually. By this same concept, populations WITHIN the same country will look unique and different from one another as well. And that's where the whole concept of "locality" comes in.

Again, a "locality" boa is one which can be traced back to a specific place within a country. A boa that is simply labeled by it's country of origin (for instance, a "Suriname" or a "Guyana") that is CBB (especially multi-generational CBB) will have a very generic look if it has not been produced from locality parents.

To further add credence to what I'm saying, let's (very briefly) explore some other boas.

Peruvians - Pucallpa and Iquitos. Those are very different appearing Peruvians.

Panamanians vs Costa Ricans - those are VERY different appearing BCI's, but they share a border. From south to north, it goes Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua. The political border between Panama/Costa Rica and Costa Rica/Nicaragua is closer together than the Essequibo River Delta is to Pokigron, Suriname - but no one would argue that a Nicaraguan looks like a Panamanian.

The problem that Suriname and Guyana BCC face is this history of this industry. For MANY years, importers would sort shipments from both countries into two piles. The "ugly" pile and the "pretty" pile. The animals that were pretty were sold as Surinames for a premium. The animals that were ugly were sold as Guyanas at a discount. This practice occurred even when an importer ONLY received boas from one country or the other. They'd get a shipment from Guyana with LOTS of BEAUTIFUL boas, but then they'd turn around and sell them as Surinames. Likewise, an importer who only imports from Suriname would get plenty of not-so-attractive boas and would sell them as Guyanas.

So, this has turned into a CLUSTER!!! Many people truly do not know what a Guyana boa looks like, or a Suriname boa looks like. Because for many years, each was sold as the other. After that, private breeders would breed these animals together and produce offspring that were a blending of the traits and sell them (depending on the seller) as Guyana, Suriname, and some breeders sold them as both - just like the importers. So, John Q. Public has NO CLUE what these animals should look like. And many people who swear up and down that their boa is a "Suriname" really have a Guyana, or a Suriname x Guyana.

So now the "test" comes. Can someone, such as myself, who claims that they're different, pick out a Surinamese from a Guyanese? Honestly, if you set 100 boas in front of me, 50 from one country and 50 from another - I'd probably get just as many right as someone else. Maybe not. The problem is, I've been influenced over the last decade just like everyone else in this hobby has. My perception has been changed by looking at boas from both countries labeled as the other as well as babies that are the result of crossing the two countries.

But I will say this, there are a handful of guys who are absolutely in LOVE with Guyanese BCC and all of us say the same thing. Whenever we see a boa that we just HAVE TO HAVE, it's always a Guyanese BCC - even before we KNOW it's a Guyanese BCC. We're just drawn to the characteristics the Guyanese have. They tend to have contrast, markings, and color that appeal more to us. That's not to say we don't like Surinamese BCC - we absolutely do. But, we don't have them in our collections because we simply don't see any of them that are "must haves" (for our taste).

The above post is what I wanted to post last night, but it was MUCH to close to time for me to go to sleep, so it got put off until this morning

jb
Old 01-03-13, 09:47 PM   #5
Jay
Bcc fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyboa97 View Post
i cant decide can someone help, are they much different, looking for a female which one is bigger and temperament. i need some advice... i know they are more experienced keepers snakes but i already feel like i can handle it i have a c.a boa and a ball python thanks in advance.
- Not really
- Females get larger
- Bcc's tend to be a tad more agressive.

What ever you decide to purchase, purchase it from a reliable breeder.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jayyboy16?feature=mhee
Login to remove ads
Old 01-03-13, 09:48 PM   #6
Jendee

Johnathon Brady is like one of the kings off bcc lol great clip Corey!!
Closed Thread