sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-12, 08:38 PM   #1
dinosaurdammit

Send a message via Skype™ to dinosaurdammit
How to deal with disapproving family?

So my nana came to visit for christmas. I thought everything would be great but from the moment she got here she downed me for EVERYTHING, mostly for my pets. I had to bring my female boa home because my friend had to come home, clean and I would be able to return athena the next morning after the fumes settled. Well we kept her in our bedroom which we always shut, somehow my husband left it open and she saw the snake. I should probably mention she hates just about everything but reptiles are at the top.

From the moment she got here she would just hawk eye my failures. I would try and try and try to please her and just fall flat on my face in a pile of horse manure. It made me feel awful. My husband was busting me too because he gets uneasy with her around as she is hyper critical down to how I parent my kid.

She started crying and making a huge fuss which got me all upset, i was shaking and crying and snot came out of my nose like a banana slug after a good rain. She basically gave me the ultimatum of "Get rid of the lizards or I wont come visit".

Now I love my nana, more than you know. This woman adopted me when no one else would and gave me a good life, although overly strict and a killjoy. She always bust me on EVERYTHING and always reminds me that I never live up to "how she tried to raise me".

I am already heartbroken about my female boa, watching her act the way she does is heartbreaking and the vet is still unsure whats going on. I tried to explain to her that reptiles make me happy and I enjoy keeping them as its so rewarding. She will have none of it. So much so she actually left. Like got up and had me take her to the airport and left. This is just- ugh- I honestly dont know what to think.

I have never had anyone give me such ultimatums and I feel it is WRONG of her to do that to me. I never go to her house and tell her how to run things and while I understand she might not like reptiles am I wrong for feeling conflicted? Has any one of you ever had to deal with family giving you grief over your hobby- you know what, reptiles are not my hobby, they are my passion. I swore to myself when I got my own house and money I would have as many as I could afford.

How do I go about telling her that while I respect that she doesnt like reptiles maybe she should reconsider trying to give me ultimatums on my pets? I suck at confrontation, I usually end up just folding like a soggy deck of cards. I mean I am an adult in my own house but maybe she is right somehow. She did raise me but at what point should she not have a say in how I live my life?
Login to remove ads
Old 12-28-12, 08:45 PM   #2
EmbraceCalamity

Re: How to deal with disapproving family?

Tell her to suck it. You're an adult. It's your place, your money, your choices, and your passion. She has no room to bitch about anything in your house. And if she really hates it that much, then she doesn't have to be there. You can visit other places. She can get a hotel room, and you can do things outside of your house.

Frankly, I wouldn't be half as nice to her as you are. I'd tell her to get the hell out of the house and not bother coming back until she can accept who you are. Gotta stand up for yourself sometimes.

~Maggot
Old 12-28-12, 08:51 PM   #3
dinosaurdammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceCalamity View Post
Tell her to suck it. You're an adult. It's your place, your money, your choices, and your passion. She has no room to bitch about anything in your house. And if she really hates it that much, then she doesn't have to be there. You can visit other places. She can get a hotel room, and you can do things outside of your house.

Frankly, I wouldn't be half as nice to her as you are. I'd tell her to get the hell out of the house and not bother coming back until she can accept who you are. Gotta stand up for yourself sometimes.

~Maggot
See and the thing is i do want to stand up so badly but she throws the card out "Ive had a difficult life" and the "you are all I have left" card and it really just about "puts me in my place".
Old 12-28-12, 09:04 PM   #4
EmbraceCalamity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaurdammit View Post
See and the thing is i do want to stand up so badly but she throws the card out "Ive had a difficult life" and the "you are all I have left" card and it really just about "puts me in my place".
Typical passive-aggressive self-victimization technique. My mom does that **** too, but I'm not as nice a person as you and stopped tolerating/falling for it. Unfortunately, there's no rationalising or compromising with people like that. But that's her problem, not yours.

~Maggot
Old 12-28-12, 09:10 PM   #5
dinosaurdammit

Quote:
Typical passive-aggressive self-victimization technique. My mom does that **** too, but I'm not as nice a person as you and stopped tolerating/falling for it. Unfortunately, there's no rationalising or compromising with people like that. But that's her problem, not yours.

~Maggot
Its just hard to deal with because she did raise me adn give me a chance when no one else would. I almost feel like I am indebted to her and add on to the fact I am her granddaughter who had a child that is her great grandchild and she wants to see her a lot, but the problem is that she isnt ever happy to see me just my kid, which I sort of get but I dont feel like she much cares for me anymore. Add that with my pets and she makes it downright unpleasant
Login to remove ads
Old 12-28-12, 09:25 PM   #6
Jay
Bcc fanatic

Nice to see somone with morals. Maggot, believe it or not some people still respect their elders.

Can you go to her house to visit?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jayyboy16?feature=mhee
Old 12-28-12, 09:27 PM   #7
EmbraceCalamity

Quote:
Its just hard to deal with because she did raise me adn give me a chance when no one else would. I almost feel like I am indebted to her and add on to the fact I am her granddaughter who had a child that is her great grandchild and she wants to see her a lot, but the problem is that she isnt ever happy to see me just my kid, which I sort of get but I dont feel like she much cares for me anymore. Add that with my pets and she makes it downright unpleasant
You can be appreciative of that without being a victim to her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Nice to see somone with morals. Maggot, believe it or not some people still respect their elders.

Eh. I don't personally believe that age gives one a free pass to treat people like crap or get respect when they don't deserve it. My morals are different than yours; doesn't mean I don't have them.

~Maggot
Old 12-28-12, 09:31 PM   #8
Jay
Bcc fanatic

Quote:
You can be appreciative of that without being a victim to her.Eh. I don't personally believe that age gives one a free pass to treat people like crap or get respect when they don't deserve it. My morals are different than yours; doesn't mean I don't have them.

~Maggot
Nice way to put it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jayyboy16?feature=mhee
Old 12-28-12, 09:41 PM   #9
dinosaurdammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

I guess its how I was raised deep south. Respect your elders no matter what. It doesnt mean you cannot disagree or be upset with it but basically it boils down to bite your tongue and eat crap with a smile. I dont like ti but its been instilled so hard in me I cant do differently.
Old 12-28-12, 09:43 PM   #10
EmbraceCalamity

Quote:
I guess its how I was raised deep south. Respect your elders no matter what. It doesnt mean you cannot disagree or be upset with it but basically it boils down to bite your tongue and eat crap with a smile. I dont like ti but its been instilled so hard in me I cant do differently.
And just accept being treated like **** by her? Well, that's your choice, I guess. I wish people would be more willing to question what they were indoctrinated with as children.

~Maggot
Old 12-28-12, 09:54 PM   #11
dinosaurdammit

Quote:
And just accept being treated like **** by her? Well, that's your choice, I guess. I wish people would be more willing to question what they were indoctrinated with as children.

~Maggot
For you it seems so easy to just stand up and frill like an alstralian outback crazed lizard but for me its just so hard to go against anything she says. Sure I feel like tis wrong and i dont always agree but I guess the logic behind it is "she wont be here forever" and to be honest, when she dies, I will have no one other than my husband. My mother is dead, dad isnt around grandparents are all dead but her. Its just hard to fight with the last remaining family member I have.
Old 12-28-12, 09:58 PM   #12
EmbraceCalamity

Quote:
For you it seems so easy to just stand up and frill like an alstralian outback crazed lizard but for me its just so hard to go against anything she says. Sure I feel like tis wrong and i dont always agree but I guess the logic behind it is "she wont be here forever" and to be honest, when she dies, I will have no one other than my husband. My mother is dead, dad isnt around grandparents are all dead but her. Its just hard to fight with the last remaining family member I have.
I'm a crazed Aussie lizard? That's kind of cool. =o Like I said, it's your choice. You're free to do what you want. But you posted a thread asking for advice on how to deal with it.

~Maggot
Old 12-28-12, 10:00 PM   #13
dinosaurdammit

Quote:
I'm a crazed Aussie lizard? That's kind of cool. =o Like I said, it's your choice. You're free to do what you want. But you posted a thread asking for advice on how to deal with it.

~Maggot
I didnt mean the frill thing as an insult, i was just stating how you can do it and I just somehow lack the spine to do so. I want to so bad stand up and state my thoughts but they just jumble up my words and they end up coming out as garbling mouth vomit. How can I better gain the confidence to say the things i need to?
Old 12-28-12, 10:03 PM   #14
Wildside

Quote:
Obviously she wanted a fight Darlin'. You say she downed you for everything before she saw Athena and she plays the hard life card. She's feeding off the guilt she creates in you. A lot of times people who have had "hard lives" are broken like that. There's no point in confronting her about it you'll just need to learn how to take it with a grain of salt and be glad she doesn't live near enough to make you real miserable.
Old 12-28-12, 10:06 PM   #15
dinosaurdammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildside View Post
Obviously she wanted a fight Darlin'. You say she downed you for everything before she saw Athena and she plays the hard life card. She's feeding off the guilt she creates in you. A lot of times people who have had "hard lives" are broken like that. There's no point in confronting her about it you'll just need to learn how to take it with a grain of salt and be glad she doesn't live near enough to make you real miserable.
I know my husband feels awkward when she is around, and I know she makes it hard on him as well. I really love her and value her opinions I just have a hard time balancing everything out. I love having her over, I just dont appreciate how she tries to run the house when its my house :/
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread