Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-12, 09:32 AM   #1
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783
Angry What's the buzz?

Last night I went to pick up an order of frozen rodents from my friend's business partner. This guy is, well....immature is probably the best description. My friend Kelly runs their business, paying bills, organizing events, etc. while Tom cares for the animals and goes traveling around with them. He's not always made the best decisions where his animals are concerned, so I generally avoid him. But he had an overload of frozen rodents so I got a great price and my snakes need to eat.

Anyway, when I got there he mentioned a 4-year-old wild caught Northern Pacific rattlesnake he had that he didn't really want anymore. He told me he only checked on it about twice a month......he only looked in on it once or twice a MONTH!!! He told me it was underweight and small, but healthy. I needed another snake like I needed a hole in the head, but I cannot stand animals not getting proper care and won't tolerate it. Needless to say he came home with me. He's very skinny and not even two feet long....he's about the size of a pygmy rattler, when he should be 3-4 feet long at this age. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

I am really really hoping I can get weight and size on the poor little guy. I will admit though, it is nice to have a rattler in the house again. They are fascinating snakes and I enjoy them a lot.

Here's the poor little fellow: (he needs a good name)

Old 11-16-12, 10:09 AM   #2
Nikki1984

Re: What's the buzz?

Poor fella, he is pretty though. Good on you for helping him out. I look forward to seeing his progress.
Old 11-16-12, 10:56 AM   #3
Will0W783

Thanks Nikki....I hope he does well.
Old 11-16-12, 11:09 AM   #4
Nikki1984

I can't get over how little he is. I know he said he was four years, but how long did the guy himself have him for?
Old 11-16-12, 11:20 AM   #5
Will0W783

Four years. I was told he was wild-caught as a neonate. It ticks me off that he is this small for four years old....or possibly older. He's been in captivity, owned by the guy I got him from, for four years.

I am stunned at how tiny he is...rattlers are generally fairly quick growers for pitvipers. He's not much bigger than my 6-month-old copperheads.
Old 11-16-12, 11:25 AM   #6
MoreliAddict
Twist and Shout

"Snakes are like potato chips...you can never have just one!"

Nice snake! Fits in well with the rest of your collection.
Old 11-16-12, 11:30 AM   #7
Nikki1984

Damn. Well at least he is in good hands now. I can't stand people that get animals and don't put any time or effort into them. Why even bother in the first place? Again. Good luck and I look forward to hearing about this little guy in the future.
Old 11-16-12, 11:40 AM   #8
DragonsEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0W783 View Post
LastHere's the poor little fellow: (he needs a good name)
How about Rattle-touille (ratatouille)?
Old 11-16-12, 02:00 PM   #9
jarich

Cute little guy! Although I think you already have the name in your thread title, dont you?

BUZZ
Old 11-16-12, 02:03 PM   #10
Rogue628

Send a message via Skype™ to Rogue628

Poor baby! I cannot put in polite words how I feel about him being that little! He doesn't look much bigger than the babies I used to find back home! Talk about stunted growth! Ugh!

With him being that old, do you think he's growth has been permanently stunted? At least his in good hands now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
How about Rattle-touille (ratatouille)?
I really like this one!
0.1.1 '11 Normal Royal Pythons 0.2 '11 Albino Burms 0.2 Rescue Dumeril's Boas (approx 4yrs old) 0.1 '11 Colombian Boa (BCI) 0.1 '11 Cali King 0.1.0 JCP 0.1 '12 borneo 1.0 rose hair T 1.0 cat 1.1 Kids 1.0 Boyfriend
Login to remove ads
Old 11-16-12, 02:13 PM   #11
Will0W783

I honestly don't know if his growth is stunted...I think only time will tell. I don't really care if he gets much larger...he just needs meat on his bones. A small rattler is not a bad thing, as long as it is a solid weight for its size.

I was thinking as I brought him home that I kind of wanted to call him "Oregano." The scientific name for Northern Pacific rattlesnakes is Crotalus oreganus, and Oregano popped into my head. My fiance said it was a "stupid name for a venomous snake. We are not calling him that." He gets until the end of the weekend to come up with something better, or I'm naming him either Oregano or Buzz....
Old 11-16-12, 02:23 PM   #12
MoreliAddict
Twist and Shout

Oregano sounds good...
Old 11-16-12, 02:25 PM   #13
AjaMichelle

Aw I think that's a great name for a venomous snake! Congratulations on your new addition, though it wasn't under the best circumstances. That fellow doesn't sound like an individual who should be caring for animals. :/
Old 11-16-12, 03:25 PM   #14
Will0W783

I know. I have strong feelings on the issue. I think my friend Kelly needs to walk away from the whole situation, before she ends up going bankrupt. But it's complicated, and I understand that. However, I'd have his head on a plate for caring as loosely for the snakes as he does. He enjoys them; they're a passion, but he lacks the followthrough to give them the proper enclosures. He'd rather have 50 snakes and drag them all over for educational shows, than have 15 snakes that have proper caging and proper travel accomodations. I'm of the mindset that one should not have more animals than one can give proper, excellent care to.
Old 11-17-12, 11:31 PM   #15
jaleely
Member of the family

i don't see how he can go around anywhere with his snakes and not have someone point out they're underweight and mistreated. probably has, but doesn't care.

whatever. i can't believe that snake lived that long...obviously didn't thrive, but did barely survive : (
Poor thing.

i'm glad you took in little Oregano ; )
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread