border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Breeding / Incubation

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-12, 02:07 PM   #1
Shrp Blunt

Question Breeding yellow anacondas

Hi there,

I recently thought of getting myself a breeding pair of yellow anacondas. I found a pair that are 18 months old and about 1 meter long at the moment. But I first wanted to just find out a few things before I go collect them. Can someone tell me how they breed? What are the costs involved? What age can they start? and just in general how is the temerament of yellow anacondas?

any additional help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Sharp Blunt
Login to remove ads
Old 04-12-12, 04:01 PM   #2
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Re: Breeding yellow anacondas

To match your name i will be sharp and blunt

If you are asking those sorts of questions you are a long way form being ready to breed snakes. Especially something as big as an annie. Spend a few months reading every book and internet record about breeding and the requirements that are specific to annies and then think about whether you are rreally prepared for the massive commitment.

Hope it all works out for you
Old 04-12-12, 04:21 PM   #3
SSSSnakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankyrob View Post
To match your name i will be sharp and blunt

If you are asking those sorts of questions you are a long way form being ready to breed snakes. Especially something as big as an annie. Spend a few months reading every book and internet record about breeding and the requirements that are specific to annies and then think about whether you are rreally prepared for the massive commitment.

Hope it all works out for you
I agree 100% with what you said. Plus keep in mind you better have a place to sell the babies off fast, or it will cost you a lot of money to feed all the babies.
Old 04-12-12, 05:33 PM   #4
CDN_Blood
Custos serpentium

Send a message via Yahoo to CDN_Blood

I concur. These are not things you think about *after* you've jumped in, so you're clearly in over your head.

Let it be a lesson to people who make foolish moves like this - serious keepers don't look kindly on such things, so think before you act and don't breed animals that you won't even be able to get rid of. It's not about money, you know - live animals require planning, a means to support them and knowledge about their husbandry. Think, people...think-think-THINK.
Old 04-12-12, 05:39 PM   #5
Gungirl
Diesel the pumpkin killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrp Blunt View Post
Hi there,

I recently thought of getting myself a breeding pair of yellow anacondas. I found a pair that are 18 months old and about 1 meter long at the moment. But I first wanted to just find out a few things before I go collect them. Can someone tell me how they breed? What are the costs involved? What age can they start? and just in general how is the temerament of yellow anacondas?

Many Thanks
Sharp Blunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Blood View Post
I concur. These are not things you think about *after* you've jumped in, so you're clearly in over your head.

Let it be a lesson to people who make foolish moves like this - serious keepers don't look kindly on such things, so think before you act and don't breed animals that you won't even be able to get rid of. It's not about money, you know - live animals require planning, a means to support them and knowledge about their husbandry. Think, people...think-think-THINK.

If you read what is in bold you will see that the OP is asking BEFORE not AFTER.
Old 04-12-12, 05:53 PM   #6
marvelfreak
Captain America

First you would want to get this book.
Anacondas - Professional Breeders Series

What kind of experience do you have with snakes? Have you ever worked with big constrictors?
Old 04-12-12, 06:22 PM   #7
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

What kind of "keeper" would look at buying an animal to breed without know the temperament of said species.

Honestly you don't know enough about yellow anacondas to own one let alone to breed.
Old 04-12-12, 06:50 PM   #8
marvelfreak
Captain America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrp Blunt View Post
Hi there,

Many Thanks
Sharp Blunt
They can have upwards of 40 to 60 babies. Even if you had homes for half that would still leave you with the rest to feed and care for. Say it takes a couple years to sell them all it's going to cost a lot of money to feed them. What if you can't sell them then your stuck with a bunch of snake that the females can get up to 16 feet. Do you have people that are willing to help you take care of them or clean up after them?

Not good they are a insure and easily spook snakes which makes them seem aggressive when in truth they are very defensive. With Yellow you either get a mellow snake are a chainsaw with teeth. They don't just bite once but repetitively. They can true their heads 90 degrees, so if even holding one right behind the head it can turn and nail you if your not super careful.

Any other questions you have feel free to ask and welcome to our site.
Old 04-13-12, 01:55 AM   #9
Shrp Blunt

Hi there,

You guys seem to have misunderstood. The pair I enquired on buying are only 18 months old. And I know that it's recommended to only breed after they are 4 years of age. That leaves me with 2 and a half years to learn and find out, that's why I came to this forum. I have had plenty of experience with snakes in the past, I've bred red tail boas twice. I currently have a Baby res tail boa and 2 large empty tanks. So I am not rushing in to it I was simply enquiring about it.
Old 04-13-12, 05:11 AM   #10
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

I actually caught the age and size of them and knew they weren't ready to breed.

I don't know what you qualify as "plenty of experience " with snakes but I am interested in hearing more about it( We love good snake stories! ). From what I gather an anaconda ie quite different from a red tail though.

The biggest issue I see with your situation is you are looking to purchase a snake which by your first post sounds like you have already decided and were just asking a few last minute questions. The questions you're asking lead me personally to believe you don't have the foggiest idea about yellow anacondas.... let alone a breeding pair. I worry you will by these 3ft long beasts and and not be able to care for them properly then make the stupid decision to try and breed anyway.

To me buying a giant and saying you will learn as you go is just as bad as buying a hot and learning as you go.

Sorry to be so negative but I see this ending terribly. The longer I am on this forum (and others) the more cynical I become. Or maybe I just see people making really stupid and ignorant decisions quite often( read as daily). Regardless I no longer believe that anyone should just give it a shot if they want to try.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-13-12, 08:10 AM   #11
Shrp Blunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
I actually caught the age and size of them and knew they weren't ready to breed.

I don't know what you qualify as "plenty of experience " with snakes but I am interested in hearing more about it( We love good snake stories! ). From what I gather an anaconda ie quite different from a red tail though.

The biggest issue I see with your situation is you are looking to purchase a snake which by your first post sounds like you have already decided and were just asking a few last minute questions. The questions you're asking lead me personally to believe you don't have the foggiest idea about yellow anacondas.... let alone a breeding pair. I worry you will by these 3ft long beasts and and not be able to care for them properly then make the stupid decision to try and breed anyway.

To me buying a giant and saying you will learn as you go is just as bad as buying a hot and learning as you go.

Sorry to be so negative but I see this ending terribly. The longer I am on this forum (and others) the more cynical I become. Or maybe I just see people making really stupid and ignorant decisions quite often( read as daily). Regardless I no longer believe that anyone should just give it a shot if they want to try.

So you're telling me people are born with a knowledge of them? I am wanting to buy them as pets, and one day may have the intention of breeding, that is why I was asking. I wanted to try a new breed as a pet because I had my boas for 6 years and then I had to move so I left them with a family member in Cape Town. I came here to this forum to ask questions to learn and get help so that I know what to expect if I get them, and all I've gotten is you jumping down my throat, you don't know me from a bar of soap buddy so get of your high horse and maybe actually help people who seek help instead of putting them off.
Old 04-13-12, 08:15 AM   #12
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

The way i read your initial post was that you are lokoing to buy and breed yellow annies with no experience of them whatsoever - that sort of post will get many snake keepers backs up and results in post that sound snippy.

If you explained the whole situation in your initial post like you just did then the responses would be a lot different.
Old 04-13-12, 08:20 AM   #13
Norm66
Cold Blooded Chaos

Welcome to Ssnakess.com.
Old 04-13-12, 08:21 AM   #14
marvelfreak
Captain America

If you want you can read my thread on my yellow anaconda.
http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/gener...-anaconda.html

We a few people on here that own them. I am the only one that on here regular. Any questions just ask. I got to get back to work, but will answer them later.
Old 04-13-12, 08:26 AM   #15
MoreliAddict
Twist and Shout

Imo people were a bit hard on the op here. As Gungirl pointed out (before he explained his experience with breeding snakes) that he his here on the forum before acquiring the snakes, because he realizes he'll need to learn before he's ready to breed them. Still my opinion, but I don't see why after 6 years of breeding boas this keeper should be shunned off from keeping a couple yellow annies (they're big, but not THAT big) if that's what he want's to do.

As for breeding and taking care of hatchies, the fact that yellow annies could lay 60 eggs at a time was a good thing to point out, but that's the exact type of reason the op was here, hopefully he comes back...

and if so,
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
anaconda, anaconda breeding, yellow anaconda