border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-02, 01:49 PM   #1
Linds
Former Moderator no longer active

screening safety

Ok quick question....

bought screening...... the kind that you put in a door or window....... anyways.... it feels a wee bit waxy or tacky..... and smells like home depot (lol) even though i washed it with dishsoap... was just wondering if the screening was treated with anything I should worry about? I wish to put it in my brb's containers, but have held off..........
Login to remove ads
Old 04-26-02, 02:52 PM   #2
North

Send a message via ICQ to North
Hmmm

If it's metal screening.(they will get through the nylon stuff in a hurry) and you have given it a good scrub I don't see a problem Linds.. I used to work with a window shop and some screening had a bit of a waxy grease on it, but a good scrub with soap and hot water should remove that...

Work like you don't need the money; Love like you've never been hurt; and dance like you do when nobody's watching...
Old 04-26-02, 03:07 PM   #3
Linds

No its not the metal kind. im using it to make a corner hammock in each tub so its gotta be soft stuff. I washed it last night wish soapy water and it is still sort of sticky feeling
Old 04-26-02, 03:10 PM   #4
North

Send a message via ICQ to North
Hmmm

OK.. tough call..........

Work like you don't need the money; Love like you've never been hurt; and dance like you do when nobody's watching...
Old 04-27-02, 12:59 AM   #5
Yve

Linds, if its the material feeling black stuff (don't know how else to describe it) I've used it as a screen to prevent my snake from having contact with the lamps and i've had no probs.....been using it for 9 months.
Old 04-27-02, 03:14 PM   #6
Linds

Thanks guys! I put one of them up last ngiht. Someone brought to my attention that it just simply feels that way...lol! Maybe I'm too paranoid... ah well, better safe than sorry
Old 04-27-02, 06:16 PM   #7
Quervo

hey Linds;

If you have the soft blackish stuff, it's fibreglass. Crickets will eat through it if they can get at it for any length of time, other than that, the only concern is .. you guessed it, it will offgas for a short period if exposed to a high heat source (like using it for a light screen). But it's screen, so it is well ventilated and shouldn't cause too much problem. (If I keep coming up with this offgas stuff I'm gonna get a nickname that I probably won't like!)

By the same token, if you use the metal screen (grey in colour and rougher) it can hurt the snakes nose if he can rub against it.

Keith
Old 04-27-02, 07:45 PM   #8
Linds

Well......its not in direct contact with any heat sources. Its jsut a hammock in the corner of the rubbermaid... so its off the ground and there are no lights to worry about. no crickets. couldnt use metal either. as long as the little peice of screen doesnt pose any serious threats to my babies im happy Lol... I keepo up with the offgassing info though...it's great and informative! :thumbsup:
Closed Thread