border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Heterodon

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-12, 06:23 PM   #1
nicks75

My first hognose.

Got this guy today at the Pittsburgh reptile show, already chowed down a hopper and docile as can be. I'm not very familiar with color morphs or "phases" with hognoses, I know he's not a morph but seems very light compared to most that I have seen, would there be any special term for him such as "light phase" or just normal?

Login to remove ads
Old 02-12-12, 06:25 PM   #2
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55
Re: My first hognose.

Congratulations on your newest pick up. He looks great! Glad he's already eating for you too!
Old 02-12-12, 06:30 PM   #3
Rogue628

Send a message via Skype™ to Rogue628

Congrats! He's definitely a cutie! I love hoggies and can't wait to get my own but waiting until I move.
0.1.1 '11 Normal Royal Pythons 0.2 '11 Albino Burms 0.2 Rescue Dumeril's Boas (approx 4yrs old) 0.1 '11 Colombian Boa (BCI) 0.1 '11 Cali King 0.1.0 JCP 0.1 '12 borneo 1.0 rose hair T 1.0 cat 1.1 Kids 1.0 Boyfriend
Old 02-12-12, 06:36 PM   #4
nicks75

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessia55 View Post
Congratulations on your newest pick up. He looks great! Glad he's already eating for you too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue628 View Post
Congrats! He's definitely a cutie! I love hoggies and can't wait to get my own but waiting until I move.
Thanks, I have kept many species of snakes my fav being carpets, getting a few trophy specimens for breeding once the weather gets warm enough for them to deliver. I can say after only having him for a few hours he is slowly working his way to being my new favorite species. I can certainly see myself getting many more in the future.
Old 02-12-12, 07:02 PM   #5
nicks75

Another pic, he's certainly not camera shy.

Login to remove ads
Old 02-12-12, 07:04 PM   #6
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55

He's really cute. It's tempting to keep taking pics, but you should really let him settle in and stop putting the camera in his face the first day he comes home.
Old 02-12-12, 07:10 PM   #7
nicks75

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessia55 View Post
He's really cute. It's tempting to keep taking pics, but you should really let him settle in and stop putting the camera in his face the first day he comes home.
Yeah agreed, I'm letting him settle for a few days after that one.
Old 02-12-12, 07:15 PM   #8
Jenn_06

awwww what a cutie, he is light for being a normal but maybe they get lighter and darker like some other snakes do.
Old 02-12-12, 07:35 PM   #9
Jay
Bcc fanatic

In the future I would hold off on feeding a new a rival right away, just give him about a week to settle in.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jayyboy16?feature=mhee
Old 02-12-12, 07:59 PM   #10
buffcoat

Congratulations! I went to that show today to specifically buy a hoggie...and they were all gone

On a side note I did end up with both a male and a female het albino bull snake. I cant wait to post pics of the lil guy and gal.

Will you be attending the Washington expo? I hope to get a hoggie there!

Congratulations again!
Login to remove ads
Old 02-12-12, 08:11 PM   #11
nicks75

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffcoat View Post
Congratulations! I went to that show today to specifically buy a hoggie...and they were all gone

On a side note I did end up with both a male and a female het albino bull snake. I cant wait to post pics of the lil guy and gal.

Will you be attending the Washington expo? I hope to get a hoggie there!

Congratulations again!
Thanks yeah there were alot of nice looking bullsnakes there, I went there looking for a hognose too and he was the only one I seen, when I seen him someone was looking to trade with the breeder and I was pretty disappointed thinking he would go through with it, luckily the seller turned down the trade and I grabbed him. I'm not sure if I will be going to Washington but I may just to look around. The seller gave me his contact info, I can find out if he is going, from talking to him it sounded like he has more, I'll try and contact him and if so I'll send you a PM.
Old 02-12-12, 08:14 PM   #12
insignia100

I love hognoses. I've got a breeding pair (laid her first clutch in December, but only 1 left... bad timing for various reasons). I'm planning on selling any offspring I get, but will certainly be keeping a few of them for myself.
**Though I am in veterinary school, my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.**
Old 02-12-12, 08:18 PM   #13
buffcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicks75 View Post
I can find out if he is going, from talking to him it sounded like he has more, I'll try and contact him and if so I'll send you a PM.
That would be totally awesome. I did buy a frilled dragon today for my girlfriend for Valentines day. She was so happy.
Old 02-13-12, 12:28 AM   #14
jaleely
Member of the family

He's very light colored...beautiful! Axanthic probably...or lacking the normal pigments. I always get those terms confused. I have a male that is very brown, and one that is kind of green. I *love* my hoggies!

And, to go against the grain...I *know* I should let them settle in first...but I always seem to take a photo, or if they show interest, feed them. I kind of take the lean on it that it depends on the snake. I've had some that have taken months to settle down and calm down, and others that ate right away and never blinked an eye. You can tell when they're stressed, and if he's not, then there ya go. My one hognose is totally calm all the time and sits in that coiled position just chillin most of the time. Well, until he smells his dinner. Then the hunt is on *lol*

ANYway...beautiful snake!
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Old 02-13-12, 04:20 PM   #15
nicks75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleely View Post
He's very light colored...beautiful! Axanthic probably...or lacking the normal pigments. I always get those terms confused. I have a male that is very brown, and one that is kind of green. I *love* my hoggies!

And, to go against the grain...I *know* I should let them settle in first...but I always seem to take a photo, or if they show interest, feed them. I kind of take the lean on it that it depends on the snake. I've had some that have taken months to settle down and calm down, and others that ate right away and never blinked an eye. You can tell when they're stressed, and if he's not, then there ya go. My one hognose is totally calm all the time and sits in that coiled position just chillin most of the time. Well, until he smells his dinner. Then the hunt is on *lol*

ANYway...beautiful snake!
That would be awesome if he were an axanthic but I talked to the breeder. he assured me he wasn't any specific morph or color just a really nice light color. No matter to me, I think he's awesome, I hope I can find a girlfriend for him that looks similar and do some line breeding with him, the breeder told me he is a proven breeder, now I just need to find a sexy lady for him.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread