sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-11, 12:56 AM   #1
Kayla90

Send a message via Skype™ to Kayla90
Exclamation The King Cobra

The King Cobra is one of my favourite snakes in the world, and so I decided that I wanted to read up more about them, well that and cause I was a little bored.. Anyways, I just wanted to write some facts out about them that I learned, and hope someone who happens by, bored or otherwise, enjoys this.

Did you know:

[LIST][*]The king cobra is one of the worlds longest venomous snakes? Having a recorded length of 18.5 ft long

• It is one of the most feared and dangerous snakes in all of Asia.
  • The average cobra ranges between 12-13 ft long, and can weigh up to 13lbs. (Is it just me, or does that not seem to be all that much??) Despite being so big, they are an extremely fast and agile snake.
  • The average lifespan of a king cobra is 20 years.
  • Their latin or genus name is Ophiophagus hannah. Ophiophagus meaning "snake-eater." That's right, this baby likes to eat all your pretty little other snakes, from ratsnakes to smaller pythons.. And that's just for breakfast. For lunch, they like to enjoy a variety of other venomous snakes, including kraits, cobra's and the smaller members of it's own species. (I guess that makes this beautiful snake a cannibal, uh ohhh.. can you say taboo?? lmao)
  • Obviously, as I am writing this in the "Venomous Forums", and even if I wasn't I would sure as hell hope you know that King Cobra's can KILL you with a bite.
    With fangs half an inch long, they will force venom into a wound attacking the central nervous system causing severe pain, blurred vision, vertigo (a feeling of motion while stationary), drowsiness and eventually paralysis. As the cardiovascular system starts to fail, the victim will fall into a coma, and eventually die from respiratory failure (XD Scary... but I could thing of at least a 1000 worst ways to die.)
Now my absolute favourite fact about the king cobra that you probably never would have guessed.
  • Did you know that the King Cobra is actually a very maternal snake?
    She'll make a nest by gathering leaves and other debris, forming a mound which will act as the incubator, before she lays her eggs. She will lay somewhere between 20-40 eggs, and will stay with them until they hatch, protecting them by rearing up when there are predators close by.
    When her eggs start to hatch, her instincts tell her to leave the nest in order to find prey to eat, which will keep her from eating her babies.
Love, an emotion of strong affection and personal attachment.

If that isn't love I don't know what is. I don't care if you label it instinct or not, the fact that they even have the instinct to search for prey JUST so they won't eat their babies has to tell you something. If some inner part of her didn't have affection for her babies, her instincts would never tell her to leave in search of food, when she could easily eat her children.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 800px-King-Cobra.jpg (24.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 1842272.jpg (25.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG1OGGZOVZSV.jpg (24.3 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg king-cobra-5851748.jpg (22.1 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by infernalis; 07-21-11 at 06:15 AM..
Login to remove ads
Old 07-21-11, 02:54 AM   #2
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Re: The King Cobra

Another fact i like is that no matter how big they are they can rear up two thirds of their length!
Old 07-21-11, 03:21 AM   #3
SnakeyJay
Boa Lover

The instinct to leave the nest once hatched is there so the species wouldnt kill itself off.. Fascinating creatures.
Old 07-21-11, 04:57 AM   #4
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

They are great, but
"Now I know some people are probably thinking, "please, a reticulated python is longer, and so is the anaconda." But those two snakes scare some people shitless already, could you imagine how ridiculously horrifying the would be if they had all that mighty power as well as VENOM??? " is coming from the wrong direction, we need to educate people not not be afraid of animals, and respect them.
Old 07-21-11, 06:12 AM   #5
infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanbakir View Post
They are great, but
"Now I know some people are probably thinking, "please, a reticulated python is longer, and so is the anaconda." But those two snakes scare some people shitless already, could you imagine how ridiculously horrifying the would be if they had all that mighty power as well as VENOM??? " is coming from the wrong direction, we need to educate people not not be afraid of animals, and respect them.
Very well said..

Savannahmonitor.net
Login to remove ads
Old 07-21-11, 06:19 AM   #6
Kayla90

Quote:
They are great, but
Lmao I didn't mean to make people scared XD
Snakes are just like any other animal. They do what they know. Beside even with venom I would still love to have one of these gorgeous animals, I don't understand how anyone could be afraid of them.. More people die from killing themselves with smoking everyday, while there are few cases where humans have been killed.. shouldn't you be more afraid of yourself in that case?
Old 07-21-11, 06:23 AM   #7
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

I've worked with cobras, and while I consider myself talented with a hook, they still scare the crap out of my at times. Mark had his king get in between viv stacks a week ago and it took us almost an hour to get it out. If it had been any other snake it would have taken minutes.
They are quick, and slick lil bastards at times :P Still gota admit that I love em.
Old 07-21-11, 06:38 AM   #8
Kayla90

I mean come on, look at the last picture.. If you don't find that baby cobra absolutely adorable you MUST be blind.. It's as simple as that.
Look at that face, how could you be afraid of something that looks sooooooo freaking CUTE ??
Old 07-21-11, 06:40 AM   #9
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Sadly its not as simple as that, they CAN kill you.
Old 07-21-11, 06:50 AM   #10
Kayla90

Quote:
Sadly its not as simple as that, they CAN kill you.
Yes but so can everything else on this planet... -.-
I'd be more afraid of humans then snakes.. I mean at least a snake will only kill you cause it feels it's life is in danger... There are some pretty sick humans out there that come up with or weird horrifying ****. I mean just look at SAW... just the fact that one person was able to come up with the idea of that movie should tell you have twisted humans really are. LMAO
You can stumble and fall on a pencil and die, or go to cross a totally clear road and still get hit by a bus..
To fear death, is to limit life. I'm not just going to sit at home locked away afraid to die. Everything could kill me, I'm going to die when I die whether I'm ready or not...
I'm not going to let the fear of death keep me from moving, so why should I be afraid of a cobra? If you learn the proper knowledge and are extremely careful you have nothing to worry about.. And even if you still get bitten, well maybe it was just your time.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-21-11, 07:04 AM   #11
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

"The collector" was 100X more twisted then "SAW"
But yeh, people can be... quirky.
Old 07-21-11, 07:11 AM   #12
Kayla90

Quote:
"The collector" was 100X more twisted then "SAW"
But yeh, people can be... quirky.
I never watched the collector XD I have an extremely over active imagination and can't sleep at night if I watch horror movies.. Though I do love them a lot.. I'm still a big chicken when it comes to turning off the light when it comes to bed time.. lmao
Old 07-21-11, 07:38 AM   #13
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

Quote:
Look at that face, how could you be afraid of something that looks sooooooo freaking CUTE ??

Lol, I take it you've never been around an eyelash viper? They are absolutely some of the tiniest, most adorable baby snakes, but get a look of the fangs on them and you instantly respect them.
Old 07-21-11, 07:56 AM   #14
ilovemypets1988

Send a message via MSN to ilovemypets1988 Send a message via Yahoo to ilovemypets1988

kayla, did u also know that the most maternal snake of all is the indian python, which will give birth to live young and will rear her young for upto 3 mnths afterwards.

but yh the k.cobra is awesome
There are many things in life that we all take for granted, But the most important things that we affect are the animals and their habitats of this planet. If we can do something for these animals like give them a home and we can meet there basic needs then we are all heroes for making sure that the animals will still be there for future generations and should lead by example.
Old 07-21-11, 08:47 AM   #15
Rog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla90 View Post
I mean come on, look at the last picture.. If you don't find that baby cobra absolutely adorable you MUST be blind.. It's as simple as that.
My six year old daughter is also in love with king cobras. She thinks they are awesome. And has asked for one on more than one occasion. Lol
Closed Thread