border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > Enclosure / Reptile Room Showcase

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-11, 11:54 AM   #1
Teckdragon

My Reptile Room!

I'm fortunate enough to share my room with all my animals. Here's a few pictures for your enjoyment.

Wide-angle shot.

Top of my rack. This is a WIP and will be an arboreal snake habitat once I decide on parts & construction. It is a 18"x18"x24" Exo Terra.

Middle/bottom of my rack. This is currently my grow rack and holds the tank for my baby carpet, an Exo Terra nano 8"x8"x12".

This is my snake tank. It houses my RTB and my BP. I'm aware it's a keeper faux-pas, but they've lived like this for 15 years without incident. The tank is all glass, and is 36"x24"x18". I believe it's actually an old Zoo Med. It was given to me when I was given the snakes as a child.

Next up in my turtle tank. 40G long.

Last edited by Teckdragon; 05-25-11 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: Details
Login to remove ads
Old 05-25-11, 11:55 AM   #2
Teckdragon

Re: My Reptile Room!

Below that are my two tropical tanks. The left one is a Penn Plax Reptology brand tank that is 24"x12"x18". It currently houses my 3 RETF. The smaller tank on the right is currently empty while it grows in. The right tank is a 12"x12"x18" Exo Terra.

Old 05-25-11, 12:09 PM   #3
TeaNinja

interesting, you house your BP and RTB together? how do you feed them?
Old 05-25-11, 12:09 PM   #4
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Great lookin herp room, curious about the bp housed with the rtb, they ever fight for space/location?
Old 05-25-11, 12:25 PM   #5
lilwyandry

Very nice, I love your killer turtle tag.
Old 05-25-11, 02:33 PM   #6
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

i dont think you are suppose to keep boas and pythons together, i believe that boa carry IBD... im pretty sure you should separate them asap...

* could be wrong, but this time i dont think i am *
Old 05-25-11, 02:35 PM   #7
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Boas CAN carry IBD - but they dont necessarily - and after 15 years if the boa was a carrier the BP would be dead......
Old 05-25-11, 02:38 PM   #8
Max713

Situations like this are so intriguing, a RTB and BP living in seemingly perfect harmony for 15 years, actually pretty cool!

On the other hand, a 36x24x18 is absolutely TINY for two snakes, especially that size...
Old 05-25-11, 07:00 PM   #9
Teckdragon

Trust me I'm aware of all these things. I actually mismeasured the snake tank. It's 36"x24"x24". Not much of an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaNinja View Post
interesting, you house your BP and RTB together? how do you feed them?
I remove my animals and place them in plastic feeding containers. They eat ever 10-14 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanbakir View Post
Great lookin herp room, curious about the bp housed with the rtb, they ever fight for space/location?
Not once in all their years. In fact, they often coil up together under the log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max713 View Post
Situations like this are so intriguing, a RTB and BP living in seemingly perfect harmony for 15 years, actually pretty cool!
The story is this: I received the snakes from my aunt some 15-odd years ago when she was moving and no longer wanted them. At the time they were the same size, maybe 2ft. each. The python never grew much past that, but the boa has exploded in size. She's around 7ft now when she gets to stretch outside.

Obviously since I was a child at the time, it had never occurred to me that they shouldn't be in the same enclosure. I'm definitely not advocating mixed species enclosures (at least not without careful consideration), just presenting the unique circumstances for each. I'd have separated them before now, but to be honest, I simply don't have the room for another large tank. (And to be perfectly honest, I've yet to find one that actually isn't just an aquarium or a wood box.)
Old 05-25-11, 08:01 PM   #10
TeaNinja

if all is well, that's good. i've heard other people say snakes cuddling together is a form of intimidation, but i don't actually know for sure.
Old 05-25-11, 08:48 PM   #11
Little Wise Owl

Great looking reptile room.
Old 05-25-11, 11:48 PM   #12
Ch^4
3.141592653 Pythons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckdragon View Post
Not once in all their years. In fact, they often coil up together under the log.
That would be them fighting for the best hiding spot.

Quote:
At the time they were the same size, maybe 2ft. each. The python never grew much past that...
How big is your BP now? What does it eat and how often? I'm just curious because BPs, as with most snakes, are very much so solitary creatures and stress can result in poor appetite, in addition to a plethora of health issues. Stress can manifest itself in illness, but often goes unnoticed. I'm assuming the BP (and likely the RTB) have been living stressful lives for 15+ years.

Quote:
I'd have separated them before now, but to be honest, I simply don't have the room for another large tank.
Sorry, but IMHO, not a good enough answer. Maybe re-homing one of the snakes is in order.
Old 05-26-11, 09:52 AM   #13
Teckdragon

Quote:
How big is your BP now? What does it eat and how often? I'm just curious because BPs, as with most snakes, are very much so solitary creatures and stress can result in poor appetite, in addition to a plethora of health issues. Stress can manifest itself in illness, but often goes unnoticed. I'm assuming the BP (and likely the RTB) have been living stressful lives for 15+ years.
Well you are correct in the diet issue actually. The python has gone months without eating before, but that's not unusual for BP's either. The boa has never missed a meal. As for size, I'd say he's topped out at about 3-3.5 ft. He's a tiny guy.

Quote:
Sorry, but IMHO, not a good enough answer. Maybe re-homing one of the snakes is in order.
I've thought about selling or giving away the ball python, but I've had him for so long I honestly have no idea what I'd do with him. No way in hell am I giving him to some chain pet store or some herp farm. Those places just scream death camps. Think about it though. In this modern day all the "collectors" want the various morphs and rarities, and your average pet owner wants something small that will fit in a 10 gallon tank. Guess I'm just stuck with him.
Old 05-27-11, 12:52 PM   #14
Xochiquetzal

on a different note what kind of turtle do you have?
Old 05-27-11, 01:04 PM   #15
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Also, are those live or plastic plants?
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
exo terra, terrarium, vivarium, zoo med