border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-11, 05:48 PM   #1
Stormy Night
Banned

help settle a debate. do snakes have personalities?

so i know this guy. I get my rats from him. besides being a rat breeder he has over 150 BP's ( not counting all the clutches he has right now), carpets, 30+ corns. so i said something about likeing the personality of my snake, that when i open their cabinet enclosure they dont try to escape, they want to climb on me, And that when i lay down on my bed i can put the snake on the bed and it will come curl up on my stomach by its own choice. So heres the debate. HE says snakes dont have personalities and they dont think like that. that they are 100% instinctual and only sit on me for warmth. NOT because they like me or anyone else. I live in Fl...its freaking HOT all over. its not like they need to chase me down for heat. I can sit outside in the shade and let my guys play in the sunny grass and most of them will crawl back over to me and climb on me. the sun is hotter than i am...again i dont see the "only for warmth "thing. my snakes all perk up when i walk into the room. even two days after they ate...so i doubt its a hunger responce. They wouldnt eat if i tried to feed them again so soon. SO. snakes: personality or nothing but an instinctual machine not capable of thinking beyond food and warmth?
Login to remove ads
Old 05-05-11, 05:58 PM   #2
marvelfreak
Captain America

Re: help settle a debate. do snakes have personalities?

Could be security. You feed, them handle, and clean up their poo. Outside of their cage you are the one thing they associated with being safe and not out to hurt them. This is just my opinion.
Old 05-05-11, 06:06 PM   #3
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Well mine seem to have "personalities" as they act and react different than one another. Does that mean ithey're still not just acting on instinct, but each is different? I don't know. Maybe personality isn't the right word to use....
Old 05-05-11, 06:37 PM   #4
infernalis

We as people tend to describe the snakes individual mannerisms as a personality.

"Cranky snakes" - My favourite "personality"

Docile snakes = "Mellow personality"

It's all figurative.

So yes, even the most logical thinkers refer to a snakes behaviour around it's keepers as a "personality"

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 05-05-11, 06:39 PM   #5
LLinz

They absolutly have different preferences and behaviours, my BP will bump my hand and climb up my arm, whether he's in shed, just ate, or was curled up in one of his hides, at any time during the day or night that I go into his tank. Its not like a friendship or anything, he is just very curious and likes doing house work while draped around my arm and down my back lol
Login to remove ads
Old 05-05-11, 06:41 PM   #6
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
We as people tend to describe the snakes individual mannerisms as a personality.

"Cranky snakes" - My favourite "personality"

Docile snakes = "Mellow personality"

It's all figurative.

So yes, even the most logical thinkers refer to a snakes behaviour around it's keepers as a "personality"

Then I guess that means clearly they do have "personalities"...?
Old 05-05-11, 06:44 PM   #7
infernalis

The beautiful thing about the word "personality" is the defenition...

the visible aspect of one's character as it impresses others, an embodiment of a collection of qualities & the organized pattern of behavioral characteristics of the individual.

so the answer is a resounding yes.. snakes have personalities.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 05-05-11, 06:46 PM   #8
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

What about memory, or emotions, like prefering their owner rather than a stranger handling?
Old 05-05-11, 06:49 PM   #9
infernalis

Not that I wish to get shot down by an "armature snake psychologists" but I swear that some of my snakes "know" when I am going to feed them, and will pace the cage when I am feeding other snakes.. so I leave interpretation to you...

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 05-05-11, 06:50 PM   #10
Stormy Night
Banned

exactly. Its not like my snakes crack awesome jokes or mix a mean rum and coke. But they absolutly have different....mannerisms. Mine appear to like being held or i could just let them sit in their enclosures all the time if it didnt matter. Anoter issue i had is i adopted a pair of Balls a couple years ago and they came together, as in the same tank. I take them both out of the tank and they stay right next to each other. we go outside and still, its like one snake with 2 heads. in the huge cabinet they live in they ball up around each other and sleep under the same plants...one gets a drink the other follows. i said soimething about splitting them up because i know snakes are solitary creatures but i felt bad because they generally seem to like each others company. So i probably wasnt going to. He says that they are competing for the best spot in the enclosure. that they follow one another to make sure one doesnt find food first. And it will stress out the less dominant one...theyve been together for the two years that ive had them and for the 5 years someone else did. Im not sure if they are egg mates but they are the same size. Ive never had a sick snake so im not worried much about one getting sick and the other catching it. they are both exposed to the same things and enviroment anyway.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-05-11, 06:53 PM   #11
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Night View Post
exactly. Its not like my snakes crack awesome jokes or mix a mean rum and coke. .
If they could there would be alot more people with snakes, I know i'd have more....
Old 05-05-11, 06:55 PM   #12
Stormy Night
Banned

hell yea! id be more surrounded than i already am....and drunk..and laughing
Old 05-05-11, 06:56 PM   #13
infernalis

In my living room there is a tank set up that had a pair of male garter snakes in it for the last 5 years, One of them has now recently passed away from old age, the other now sits and waits a whole lot more than he ever used to.

I could see those two chasing each other around in there all the time....

I can't honestly say "spot" is bummed out, but he does not seem nearly as active anymore, and I honestly miss seeing those two move around like they used to.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 05-05-11, 06:56 PM   #14
NennaMeerkat
The Scorpion Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
If they could there would be alot more people with snakes, I know i'd have more....
You and me both Randy. And it would be awesome to see as well! Could you imagine one large snake handling the rum, coke, glass, and ice all at the same time in various coils?

-1.0.0 Bearded Dragon-0.1.0 Western Hognose-0.2.0 Leopard Gecko-0.2.0 Dumbo Rat-
Old 05-05-11, 07:00 PM   #15
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NennaMeerkat View Post
You and me both Randy. And it would be awesome to see as well! Could you imagine one large snake handling the rum, coke, glass, and ice all at the same time in various coils?

Hahaha yes I can.

Reminds me of my last feed for my RTB. She killed 3 large rats and had them all in different coils while climbing out of the tub. Like she was storing them and taking them home for later.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread