border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Lampropeltis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-09, 12:58 AM   #1
sleepswthghosts

Send a message via AIM to sleepswthghosts Send a message via MSN to sleepswthghosts
excessive sneezing?

Hey all,

It appears that my milk snake is sneezing more than usual. Also, she just had her weekly feeding tonight and pooped right after eating [which I only noticed because it sounded like she was uh, breaking wind].
The only differences in her routine have been me feeding her two hoppers instead of one adult [because they were out of adults when I went to stock up - all f/t], and then about a week ago, I discovered that my apartment has some electrical problems when her heating pad stopped working and the heat lamp burnt out [after I turned it off, which was odd].
Obviously I'm going to be replacing the heat structures as soon as I'm able [my work schedule sucks for getting anything done requiring stores being open] and I'd like to move her back to full-sized mice for the next feeding, but I'm wondering if the sneezing and/or squelching is something I should be concerned about.
Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 06-20-09, 01:45 PM   #2
citysnakes

Re: excessive sneezing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepswthghosts View Post
my milk snake is sneezing more than usual.
more than usual...? even the "usual" sneez should be something to be concerned about.
Old 06-20-09, 02:25 PM   #3
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

I would be concerned about it. Snakes don't normally sneeze, and diarrhea is always something to try to correct- it is dehydrating and uncomfortable to any animal. The only time a snake might sneeze and it not be a problem is if it has bedding caught in its mouth/throat/vents. I've heard of that happening, but it's rare. How tolerant is your milksnake? If it is fairly calm and not a biter (milks are usually nervous but not too snappy) I would take a Q-tip and cut one cottony end off. GENTLY try to work the trimmed tip into the side of the mouth so it forces the snake to open its mouth. When the mouth is open, look at the roof of the mouth for signs of mucus. If you can't see the nostril openings or the top looks scuzzy and there is mucus there, your snake has a respiratory infection. Also if the windpipe is "sticky" and the snake is wheezing, you have a RI on your hands. If you find these problems, take your snake to a qualified reptile vet and get some antibiotics. If the mouth looks clean, crank your heat and humidity up in the room and keep a close eye. Also, if it is RI and you give antibiotics, also raise heat and humidity- it helps their immune systems. Best of luck- keep us updated!
Old 06-21-09, 01:01 AM   #4
sleepswthghosts

Send a message via AIM to sleepswthghosts Send a message via MSN to sleepswthghosts

Okay, thanks for the info! She's never tried to bite, but she can be pretty skittish sometimes. I'll try the cotton swab...Um, how would be a good way to hold her while doing this?
Old 06-21-09, 09:19 AM   #5
Chu'Wuti

A tip I learned here on sSNAKESs a few months ago is to use a small rubber scraper (some people call them spatulas) to open the snake's mouth--less chance of injuring the snake.

It's easier to do with two people, so that someone else can support the snake's body. This is what works for me: Hold the snake's head by placing your thumb and index fingers (nondominant hand--if you're right-handed, use your left hand) at each side of his jaw. You can squeeze gently to help open his jaw while you use your tool (which you're holding in your dominant hand) to insert between his jaws and twist to open the mouth. Remember his jaw is very flexible, so it's pretty hard to hurt him by pulling it open even if it distorts in funny ways.

Last edited by Chu'Wuti; 06-21-09 at 09:26 AM..
Login to remove ads
Old 06-21-09, 01:47 PM   #6
gonesnakee
Veteran Member

Sounds to me like a sick snake suffering from a RI likely due to the heating issue.
You want to get its heat back ASAP & bump the temsp to around 85F & see if that clears up the "sneezing".
A trip to the Vet for antibiotics MAY well be in order.
What is the substrate being used? If its something dry & dusty that too could be the cause of the respitory distress its suffering from.
Dry dusty substrates should be avoided. Mark
Old 06-21-09, 11:43 PM   #7
sleepswthghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesnakee View Post
Sounds to me like a sick snake suffering from a RI likely due to the heating issue.
You want to get its heat back ASAP & bump the temsp to around 85F & see if that clears up the "sneezing".
A trip to the Vet for antibiotics MAY well be in order.
What is the substrate being used? If its something dry & dusty that too could be the cause of the respitory distress its suffering from.
Dry dusty substrates should be avoided. Mark
I'm using aspen substrate, which as far as I know should be fine? It's not really dusty, except sometimes when I'm at the bottom of a bag, but I try to keep as much of that out as possible. I'll get the heat back up to normal again ASAP and try the cotton swab/spatula deal. Thanks for the information, everyone!

She doesn't sneeze normally, maybe once a month, or if she sticks her head under water, and the fellow who gave her to me mentioned it, but just in the context of it being cute, so I didn't think it was something to worry about until now.
Old 06-22-09, 09:03 AM   #8
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

Sneezing, although it may sound cute, isn't a good thing for snakes. The only time I ever heard a snake sneeze was a jungle/diamond carpet who had an RI turning to pneumonia by the time the vet could see her. Don't panic, but be wary and keep on top of things. Never let your snakes go without proper heat.

Tags
feeding, milk, poo, sneezing