border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > General Lizard Forum.

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-06, 11:18 PM   #1
newticus

D3

I've been wondering this for a while. If you have a reptile that needs full spectrum lighting, can you swap that lighting for D3 powder? I thought that they needed the light to provide D3 but this vitamin is available as a suppliment. Are there any other reasons they need full spectrum lighting exept for D3?
Old 01-22-06, 06:46 PM   #2
Grove

Just give less D3.
Tyler
Old 01-22-06, 07:23 PM   #3
newticus

no offense but that doesn't even come close to answering my question. I was asking if straight D3 suppliment can be used in place of full spectrum lighting.
Old 01-26-06, 06:51 PM   #4
Rhonda

D3

That is something I have also been wondering about. I breed uromastyx and take no chances with their health, however I was reading a post on another website forum from "Robyn" of Pro Exotics in the States. They are a well known source of quality reptiles there. She claims she's been keeping and breeding healthy "sunlight dependent" reptiles for years without the use of full spectrum lighting. She uses only a high quality Calcium /D3 suppliment. I wish that there was more reliable info on this topic. I'm just not willing to risk trying it based on one breeders claim.
Old 01-28-06, 01:45 AM   #5
crankyboy

Some answers...

The whole D3 isssue seems complicated, but it's pretty simple...

In the wild, reptiles can take in as much or as little sun as they need.

When you stick them in an artifiical home, they have much less control over the amount of UVB they get exposed to. A vitamin D3 supplement should be just that; a supplement. They should be able to increase and decrease their UVB exposure and create their own D3 at their discretion. Giving D3 in small amounts to add to their dietary needs is definitely a good idea, but not in nearly the huge doses some keepers give. With all the excellent high UVB output lighting available these days, I think it's a much better way to provide your animals with D3. In all of my enclosures, I make sure the animal has an area of refuge for when they've had enough.

Unless you are a vet who is testing the animals D3 levels on a constant basis, it would be very easy to overdose the animal. I've seen over cautious and over caring people almost kill their reptile with too many supplements. Look up symptoms of D3 overdose on the net and you'll see what I mean. The best option is to let them decide what they need.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-28-06, 02:32 PM   #6
galad

Send a message via MSN to galad
Now to answer the question: No you cannot use d3 supliment as an alternative to uvb lighting. The d3 in the calcium is there because the reptiles use it to help form calcium, and uvb rays are needed to do this.
I would sudgest buying a calcium with d3 and a calcium without d3. Use the d3 calcium twice a week and the non d3 calcium two or three times a week. this way you dont need to worry about d3 overdoses.

And as far as the woman not using any special lighting for her reptiles i think thats a crock. If she really isnt then shes either breeding strickly nocturnal reptiles or else all of her reptiles have some form of MBD one way or anouther.

So Yes calcium with d3 and full spectrum lighting is needed for durnial reptiles.

peace
Old 01-30-06, 10:14 PM   #7
newticus

that's a great answer, and if i had thought a little more it might have occured to me too. It would be way to hard to determine the right amount of supliments to give, best just to let the reptile do what it needs to do.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-06, 09:40 AM   #8
DragnDrop

Quote:
Now to answer the question: No you cannot use d3 supliment as an alternative to uvb lighting. The d3 in the calcium is there because the reptiles use it to help form calcium, and uvb rays are needed to do this.
Short of messing around at the atomic level, NO living animal nor plant can form calcium. It is a mineral, an element, part of what was formed back in the days when the earth was formed. If you think that Vitamin D3 and UVB are needed to form calcium, you really need to stop and rethink it. UVB rays 'excite' certain receptors in the skin which starts a chain reaction in the body resulting in it making vitamin D3. There are several steps along the way, each one changing an existing chemical combination ultimately reaching Vitamin D3 once the liver and kidneys do their magic with it. This vitamin is what prompts the body to absorb calcium (Ca), without it the Ca would just pass out and not be absorbed. Again, the actual breakdown of how the D3 'prompts' the body is a multi-stage deal, no need to get all chemistry major here. (D3 is also needed to absorb other minerals and vitamins but we're just dealing with Ca here).

If you have UVB as your source for initiating D3 manufacture in the body, you're using the safest method. It's got built-in safeguards. As long as your animal has a well balanced diet, it's got all the 'ingredients' needed to make it's own D3 when exposed to UVB. It can not make an overdose, the body only makes as much D3 as it needs to keep the reserve stock topped up, no excess is made.

A balanced diet supplying D3 is unlikely to cause an overdose. However, if you supply D3 via supplements, you can easily overdose. Supplements usually have way more D3 than you'd find in a diet, they supply a 'supersized serving' all at once. Vitamin D3 will be absorbed as long as it's in the supplements and as long as there is calcium available. Calcium is needed to absorb D3 just as D3 is needed to absorb Ca. By using supplements to supply D3 you are 'forcing' the body to absorb it whether or not it needs it. Unlike UVB which has built in safeguards, this method can lead to overdosing. Vitamin D toxicity can cause nausea, vomiting, poor appetite, constipation, weakness, and weight loss, raise blood levels of calcium. High blood levels of calcium also can cause heart rhythm abnormalities. Calcinosis, the deposition of calcium and phosphate in the body's soft tissues such as the kidney, can also be caused by vitamin D toxicity. Calcified soft tissue will eventually lead to death, heart rhythm abnormalities can as well. Excess D3 can actually lead to MBD the same way that not enough D3 and Ca can cause it.

Quote:
And as far as the woman not using any special lighting for her reptiles i think thats a crock. If she really isnt then shes either breeding strickly nocturnal reptiles or else all of her reptiles have some form of MBD one way or anouther.

So Yes calcium with d3 and full spectrum lighting is needed for durnial reptiles.

It's not 'a crock'. Not by any means. You can raise diurnal reptiles without special lighting. Diurnal reptiles bask in sunlight to raise body temperature and at the same time get their UVB exposure. They get their day/night cycle from the sunlight. "Special lighting" means what? I assume you are thinking of UVB, UVA and even UVC producing light - be if from incandescent or fluorescent lights? Mercury vapor? Which ever you consider "special", you can do without them all and still not have your animals suffer from MBD.
If you use any light, even just daylight coming through a window, you can still raise diurnal reptiles. You can 'replace' what they get from sunlight with proper supplementation and diet. I know several people who have raised many generations of Phelsuma laticauda (a known sun loving day gecko) with just regular daylight and incandescent basking lights - the typical home light bulbs - for heat. They ate a balanced diet and regularly produced fertile eggs which went on to hatch into healthy geckos. The advantage of using 'special lighting' is only for the profit of the manufacturer and vendor. I'm not saying you have to go this bare bones method but it does work.

(This 'Robyn' is male, BTW. http://www.proexotics.com/who_we_are.html)

Pro Exotics is a well known, well respected and trusted breeding operation. Why would you outright state that 'she' is causing her animals to live substandard lives with MBD if you haven't the seen the animals, and you have the wrong idea of what's needed to form what in the body?

Get your facts straight first, then post.

To really answer the original question: Yes, full spectrum lights can be replaced with CAREFUL supplementation of Vitamin D3.
"Full spectrum lighting" is another misunderstood term, but for our purposes it is generally considered to include UVB in the output range. Full spectrum light are supposed to emit light in the complete range of the spectrum, UV to visible light to IR but mostly it's visible light and only touching on UV and IR. That's enough to legally qualify for the full spectrum label.

Any light will supply the day/night cycle, heat from an incandescent can supply heat, careful supplementation will take care of the D3. Any light will do if you're careful about the other details.

It doesn't matter whether or not I recommend taking this route, but at least you have some info to work with.
Old 01-31-06, 07:16 PM   #9
newticus

Thanks Hilde!
I have another question. Can you over suppliment straight calcium, no D3? And how can you monitor D3 levels so that you know you are not over or under doing it? I only use incandecent lights on my nocturnal reptiles, and i suppliment their food. I just want to make sure they are getting exactally what they need

thanks
Old 02-02-06, 09:32 AM   #10
DragnDrop

Quote:
Can you over suppliment straight calcium, no D3? And how can you monitor D3 levels so that you know you are not over or under doing it? I only use incandecent lights on my nocturnal reptiles, and i suppliment their food.

It's possible, but unlikely to OD on straight Ca. Straight Ca supplementation, no D3 and no UVB will not lead to an overdose but it will lead to MBD eventually. Ca can't be absorbed without D3 being available (and to an extent Phosphorus (P) but it's so easy to get it's almost impossible to be low on it). Absorbing Ca decreases the stored D3, eventually depleting the supply. At that point, Ca won't be absorbed, leading to MBD. Without enough P for the Ca to bind with, the bone structure will be weak or nonexistent. A few other vitamins and minerals help or hinder Ca absorption but they usually don't create a problem in a balanced diet. You'd have to have some underlying condition that increases absorption of Ca in order to get an overdose of it without D3 and P being available. It's probably easier to have a condition that hinders rather then increases absorption.

Short of getting blood work done regularly there's no 'real' way of monitoring their D3 levels other than observation, optimum diet and/or enough UVB exposure. Nocturnal animals get dietary D3 from their food, either the animal or plant itself, or supplements (a few nocturnal species bask and get UVB exposure once in a while but not many). Plants tend to supply D2 which gets converted to D3. Prey animals can supply D3 if the whole animal is consumed (such as snakes eating whole mice - the liver is a great source for D3). If you gutload your insect feeders properly and lightly dust them with Ca w/D3 once a week or maybe twice, the other meals Ca w/o D3, you should be fine. You might have to increase the Ca & D3 during breeding season for your females. I like to give my breeding female leos and fatties a pinky or small fuzzy after each clutch to make sure she gets a good feast to help recover but also to get her a good boost in Ca and D3. Some girls don't eat pinkies so I watch their supplementation more carefully. The appearance of the egg shells is a good clue -they shouldn't look thin, yellowish or have irregular shell thickness. This usually shows up before any sign of MBD so you can step in sooner.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-02-06, 02:55 PM   #11
galad

Send a message via MSN to galad
ok call me stupid but your confussing me. Obviously im not saying your wrong but i just finding it hard to understand. a couple uestions.
SO if we dont need the uvb lighting why does everyone freak out when people arent using it on their reptiles?
Doesn't glass filter out most uvb and uva rays?
why am i being told by so many people to uvb lighting and d3 to stop mbd?
isnt it easier to just use uvb lights instead of all the comotion with special supplimenting?

sorry just trying to figure this out
Closed Thread