border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-05, 05:13 PM   #1
Elmo

Shedding royal

Hey guys, im a royal python newbie after getting mine only two weeks ago. He is three months old and feeding really well. I handle him quite rarely but when i do he handles really well.

I have two problems: He shed recently, but it was very scrappy, came off over two days. I tried to keep the humidy up as much as possible but it was still bad. And even now three days later he still has a loose silvery patch of skin on his head and at the tip of his tale. How can i get this off, will it cause any harm?

Problem 2: Due to a faulty lid I bought for the viv the shelf dropped through and left a mark on the scales on the back of the python. It squeezed him a bit too. I cant feel any harm but surely it hurt. I was sooooo annoyed with the shop that sold me the dodgy lid but what can i do. He is eating fine still and seems happy enough , should this mean that he is ok except for a little mark? Its not bad just a but dull on the scales.

Oh, i got these new iron shelf things i was going to put into the viv for him to climb and hide in. Is this safe?
Login to remove ads
Old 08-23-05, 08:17 PM   #2
atropabelladona

Send a message via Yahoo to atropabelladona
If he's moving normally there's probably no spinal damage. And as for the sticky shed, that comes with the territory sometimes. Do you have a humid hide in there? Is the water bowl big enough for the snake to curl up in? Either will probably help.
You can get the stubborn pieces of shed off now with a gentle touch and a damp paper towel or washcloth, just rub gently but firmly and it should come off.
Old 08-24-05, 12:47 AM   #3
Bartman

Send a message via ICQ to Bartman
For the shed, atropabelladona is right. Rub it off with something moist.

As for helping it not happen again..the thing I tell everyone that seems to work beautifully is to cover 3/4 of the top of the screen lid with plexiglass, glass, or something similar. Humid hides aren't usefull for snakes, imo.

As for the injury, if you think he looks fine, im sure he is. It would be common sense to realise if he is actually injured or has broken something. Keep an eye on him.
Old 08-24-05, 09:12 AM   #4
Elmo

He seems fine injury wies, as a newbie i was just overly worried. He is eating fine and moving fine so I presume evrerything is ok.

I cleaned him out today and changed the substrate to newspaper and set up everything a big beter so he is happy. I took advice from another thread, i got a butter tub and out a whole in it and a bit of damp cloth, he is in there at the moment and the loose shed on his head is flaking off! Woohoo! I took the bit off his tail last night with a cloth, thanks for the advice guys.
Old 08-24-05, 02:06 PM   #5
atropabelladona

Send a message via Yahoo to atropabelladona
Good luck with the new setup.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread