Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Lampropeltis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-05, 06:38 PM   #1
nimsu

Send a message via AIM to nimsu Send a message via MSN to nimsu
Exclamation a bit concerned about my honduran

Hi,
Im a bit concerned about my milk, shes in one of those plastic fauna boxes at the moment as she is quite small (2ft), well at night she decides to get in between the lid and side of the container, every so often i her a 'clonk' in the night where shes fallen, im a bit worried about her breaking any bones, i keep a few layers of kitchen roll as the bedding, but i dont want her to come to any harm, iv only had her for a month. is there any way to tell if she has any broken bones? i dont think she has, she seems to move normally. Im just a little over concerned i think, im moving her to her proper vivarium soon. advice on signs of broken bones/trauma would be really helpful - thanks
Login to remove ads
Old 07-23-05, 09:31 PM   #2
Pinto2

Well, this is a tricky subject, cause i can't see exactly where shes getting stuck (show a pic). But my advice would be to fill the space where she is with somthing to prevent her from getting there. The only thing else i can think of would be to put padding where she would fall. How tall is the box? Snakes are extremely strong, and i think that if it hurt her, she wouldn't do it. To check for broken bones, pick her up and carfully, apply a medium amount of pressure to her entire body, if she doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort, then your ok. Also, my snake used to do that too, but he evetually got bored and stopped. Good luck, and welcome to ssnakess.
Daniel
Old 07-23-05, 10:08 PM   #3
nimsu

hey thanks for replying- i forgot to add the sie of her box, its only small about 20cm high and 40 long. shes not getting stuck, she just manages to cling on to this small gap on the side of the lid- and she falls! I'm just a bit overconcerned with her at the min- iv had a lizard for 9 years and switching to a snake is a bit strange! :-)
Old 07-24-05, 08:52 AM   #4
Classic

Send a message via MSN to Classic
I dont think you need to worry about iut hurting anything internally from a 20cm fall but stranger things have happened. Good to be concerns but i think you might be just fine.

Brian
HighWaterHerps

Got Milks!

www.highwaterherps.ca
Old 07-24-05, 08:45 PM   #5
nimsu

thanks for advice. does anyone know a little more about checking for broken bones, also has anyone known of a snake to become brain damaged, if so - what are the signs? sorry, i know these are really silly q's- im just a little inexperienced, and that sort of info isnt in any books that i can get hold of! thanks
Login to remove ads
Old 07-25-05, 12:38 PM   #6
oscar

Send a message via MSN to oscar Send a message via Yahoo to oscar
you really dont need to worry about a 20 cm fall if she is 2'-0". my hognose used to do the same thing when he was just inches long. what he wanted was a nice tight space to feel secure. as soon as i changes the substrate from carefresh to aspen shavings, he hasnt tried since. be buries himself in there and is happy as could be. if you want remedy your situation, try making sure he has a small tight spot to hide in. i also wouldnt worry about brain damage, but good signs are twitching and no muscle tone as if he were paralyzed.

Scott
1.0.5 Crested Gecko - 0.1 Chinese Cave Gecko - 0.1 Leopard Gecko - 1.1 Mossy Leaftail Gecko - 0.0.1 Cat Gecko - 1.0. Rhacodactylus Leachianus - 1.1 Western Banded Gecko - 1.1 Viper Gecko - 1.0 African Clawed Gecko - 0.1 Albino Sonoran Gopher Snake - 1.0 Coastal California King - 0.0.1 Western Hognose - 0.1 Licorice Stick Ratsnake - 1.0 Blizzard Cornsnake - 0.1 Grayband Kingsnake
Old 07-25-05, 01:55 PM   #7
nimsu

thanks thats really helpful, i was thinking of getting a substrate which she could bury into, il definately get some now
Closed Thread