border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-04, 01:28 AM   #1
kevyn

cannibal rats?

We just recently purchased two rats as a base to start breeding our own feeders. The female rat had a small litter of only two pups. She has since then cannibalized them both. The male rat is in the same room, but in a separate cage. Is it possible she did this in order to breed again? Or do we just have the next Hannibal Lecter on our hands?
Old 03-18-04, 05:44 AM   #2
mykee
Super Genius

No, she did not eat her babies to breed again. Females go into an estrus cycle a day after they give birth, so they could in fact get pregnant the following day. I would leave the male in with the female, there's no need to seperate them. Assuming that this was your females first litter, chalk the eating of the babies up to inexperience, if it happens a second time, feed her off and try again. It happens, don't stress it.
Old 03-18-04, 07:15 AM   #3
sapphire_moon

Send a message via MSN to sapphire_moon Send a message via Yahoo to sapphire_moon
yup. Out of 6 litters (between 3 females) I've had cannabilisim once. I and it was a still born. I have more problems with still borns than I do cannabalisim.

If you want a steady supply of rats you should probably leave the male in with her. Otherwise you have to wait until the babies are weaned to introduce them again.

Mischief~ Hamster
Old 03-18-04, 02:23 PM   #4
Lisa

Send a message via ICQ to Lisa Send a message via MSN to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
often rats will cannabilise the babies that wouldn't survive. We try to get in and remove them first (you see the babies rejected are not in the nest with the other babies).

Other times they just don't have enough food/water.

May you live in interesting times.
Old 03-20-04, 01:34 AM   #5
mykee
Super Genius

Lisa, another reason for seeing babies seperate in the cages is if there is a larger baby:nipple ratio, then the mother will often feed in 'shifts, seperating the babies she's already fed, to feed the others.
Old 03-20-04, 12:23 PM   #6
Jayson

Lisa mykee is correct, the way i tell if they are actually rejected is just put your hand on them and if they feel cold to the touch then they were probably rejected.

But on the other hand i had a nest the other day which had over 40 babies in it and all were doing fine.

I use to remove all still borns right away, but have stopped unless it is cleaning day, I dont put dead rats back in the nest. The reason might seem a little morbid but I think that the still born might add some need nutrition to the females diet (more protine). And in factin the last few months i have noticed that the larger litters are doing better.

I have no prof that this is the reason, Just my opinion
Old 03-20-04, 05:17 PM   #7
kevyn

Thanks all. Very helpful as always.