border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-03, 05:58 AM   #1
XxRachxX

Question anybody have ponds? now with extra added sturgeon goodness!!

nobody ever talks about ponds!! so i thought id see if anybody actually has one?
we have 10 koi and a sturgeon. we have 6 really nice koi and 4 slightly manky ones to start the pond off but theyre all loved equally!
the biggest are about 14"
i dont exactly know all the stats of the pond etc. but its pretty damn good.
its a bit boring and plants arent exactly flourishing at the moment,its not too fancy, and my gardens a complete and utter mess
the waters not exactly pristine at the moment, and these are the best piccies i could get!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg koi.jpg (17.1 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by XxRachxX; 05-27-03 at 03:35 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 05-25-03, 06:04 AM   #2
XxRachxX

ooh and one of the pond!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pond.jpg (24.1 KB, 147 views)
Old 05-25-03, 06:26 AM   #3
corr

I would love to some kind of water garden if someone would just give me some more time and money.

I like yours Rach. I like the thought of being able to sit at the edge and watch the fish. Some potted plants around the edge would be nice.
Old 05-25-03, 07:01 AM   #4
Shane Tesser

Very cool Rach..could you get a pic of the sturgeon for us?
Old 05-25-03, 07:36 AM   #5
Emily-Fisher

Send a message via MSN to Emily-Fisher
I was going to make a huge, 800 gallon pond in my backyard but the price was unbearable and so I just bought myself a pet treefrog instead and that's what got me interested into herps but I now have a pond anyways at my country house which I take care of. I always clean it and remove any bad-plants and I always remove all of the frogspawn and hatch it myself to make sure that the mosquito babies don't eat it. Then when the tadpoles grow legs, I release them back into the pond. A good quarter of those tadoles are from grey treefrogs and another quarter is frog spring peepers. Another quarter is just normal green frogs and the other quarter is for the toads I also hatch the salamander and newt eggs myself too but I only get about 100 of those eggs a year It's a big job but I do it anyways
Old 05-25-03, 07:42 AM   #6
Stockwell

Yeah I have a pond. Just put the fish back in yesterday in fact. We bring them in every fall to keep them from freezing. I keep them in my hibernation room with the snakes.
Gold fish and Koi like it cold, and maintaining them in the 50's keeps their winter food requirements down.
With the Current West Nile situation it's very important to keep fish in any water garden , to keep the mosquito population at bay.
Our biggest problem has been keeping the Racoons from eating the fish..They pull the pump hoses out, and this drains the water, then they just walk in and get them...At least that's what happened a couple years ago..The fish had babies too, and boy was my wife upset.
I've installed a level control now that turns the pump off if the water gets low. I also put gear clamps on all the hose connections...
They're smart little guys Racoons! They eat water lilies and other pond plants too, not to mention our frog..It's annoying, but they're just doing what comes natural!
It's a Lifestyle
celebrating 26 years of herp breeding
Old 05-25-03, 09:30 AM   #7
XxRachxX

its right on our patio, its nice to site around in summer
im thinking about creating a "planting unit" thingy to put over the filter chambers, we have a crappy piece of old kitchen unit on there at the mo!
i was wondering what people over in cold places did with their ponds when it gets REALLY cold! now i know!
i will try and get a photo of the sturgeon! thats if im fast enough to spot the little bugger hehe he sneaks up the side when your not looking...tsk tsk
Old 05-25-03, 09:43 AM   #8
Matt_K

we currently have two ponds up and running right now. We have a fairly large 17'x7'x4' in the yard and also a smaller 4'x2'x'2 that sits on the deck. Both are planted with lillies, iris', parrots feather and other oxygenating plants. They all have a numerous amount of feeder minnows (great for the mosquito larvae) and feeder goldfish. Unfortuantly in the early spring we had a run in with a mink or a martin, not really sure, but he decided to have a wonderful fish feast!! He cleaned out the large pond of all the LARGE fancy tail type goldfish a couple of smaller koi. I'll try and get some pics of the pond up soon, our Marsh Marigolds are in full bloom right now!! (Martha Stewert signing out )
Old 05-25-03, 02:22 PM   #9
Tim and Julie B
Please Email Boots

You guys put fish in your ponds? Why? Just kidding but I am building one on my deck for my turtles. It is one of those formed blk plastic ones. I am building it above the deck in a box painted the same as the deck. Little garden fence around it to keep the dogs from drinking out of it and getting a tounge snapped off. I was going to start a pond thread also.
Old 05-25-03, 02:56 PM   #10
Darlene

Send a message via MSN to Darlene Send a message via Yahoo to Darlene
I have a fish & turtle pond outdoors every season. I'm a bit behind this year though as we had bad flood damage.Once we get it repaired we are putting in a couple more ponds for homeless turtles to come to. I don't have a cam for pics but will see if I can borrow one after the repairs are done.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-25-03, 03:12 PM   #11
Jeff_Favelle

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle

I manage a Koi farm and water plant nursery, so I get my fill of ponds there!! LOL!!

But yeah, because of West Nile, we've sold 6x more feeder goldfish this year than any other year!!
Old 05-27-03, 12:26 PM   #12
RachelS.

Send a message via AIM to RachelS. Send a message via Yahoo to RachelS.
My friend Axel (pres.nixon) has a pond like that for his koi! very nice
Old 05-27-03, 03:38 PM   #13
XxRachxX

i may sound stupid......but whats this west nile thingy? it has something to do with mosquitos??? bad for people good for goldfish sales then? hehe
do any of you have pictures of your ponds??

Last edited by XxRachxX; 05-29-03 at 02:37 PM..
Old 05-29-03, 05:40 PM   #14
Darlene

Send a message via MSN to Darlene Send a message via Yahoo to Darlene
You don't sound stupid. West Nile is a virus that mosquitos carry.It affects mammals (flu-like I believe) & can be very serious even deadly. They thought it was most dangerous to elderly & children but new studies show children to be least susceptible as they are building immunities. You can be infected mildly & not know & build a tolerance. There are vaccines (my horse was done in March). I'm not sure if they are vaccinating everyone, just high risk people such as the elderly , I think. Fish ponds & bat houses are being promoted to help safely control the mosquito population. If you are in good health they are now saying not to worry too much as you will most likely build immunities. Severe cases usually come with poor health to start. Anyway , I'm getting long-winded here ! I'll post some pond pics later in the season as I'm still recovering from some flood damage here. Hope I helped a bit & if anyone knows more about W.N. hope they'll post.
Old 06-03-03, 11:43 PM   #15
Crusty

Ponds rock!!!, I have in one of dem darn thangs in my back yard.The Johnstones got one too, I had tons of fish they lived there all year round. Upntil last year that is, the darn thang froze solid like toirtuss crap in february. Had Coyz & goldies and something else? The thangs made babies POK-HER-EYE(that's port-u-goose fer crazy I think), freaky cross-breeds with far out colors man! Even have wild guarder snakes (spelling?) I don't know,ya anyways, they lived under the lime stone rocks we got set up as a water fall. Also tons of frogs that flock there in the steam'in summer heat along with some freaky lookin bugs. Oh ya last summer while induldging in some frosty brews & smokables, I watched the big mother guarder downed a frog, waz cool, snuk up on the little leper like it was nothin!!! The snakes are all cool they swim about the lillies like they all own the darn place. I wonder if they ever got any of the smaller fish? TOO many to tell, probably too quick for the snakes? You peeps talk about coons givin yall a rash, I've got a bloody BLUE HERON(big @ss fish eatin bird), that stops by for lunch...HAHA, I have a BEEBEE gun (BOOM!!!!!!) Naw! I'd never do that, it's really a cool, one of my favorite hardly seen kinda birds, not that I'm a fruity @ss bird watcher(00) or nothin. It's not a big pond but has alot of action and low maintenance. SHANE!!! you need a pond, yer house is a darn swimmin' hole. The Lass time I waz over at yer place, yer Ma made me put on water wings before go'in down the cellar. She knows I can't swim, remember I flunked swimmin lessons away back in kintergarten. Now that you got that there new job, you bess borrow a couple O them there excavators and we'el (me you & TRACTOR BOB) will dig ya one of them there lakes over a bottle of yer papi's moonshine, so as we can stock it with big bass!!!!! and fish them mothers till are hearts coontent!!!YEEEEEHAH! could even use that there lake to water yer daddy's mEEEEEEEEEEEEn weed field.WOOOWEEE!!!
LOVE CRUST
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread