border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > Enclosure / Reptile Room Showcase

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-18, 12:46 AM   #1
Shauna0522

Send a message via MSN to Shauna0522 Send a message via Yahoo to Shauna0522
Question How to modify fish tank?

So I bought a 90 gallon fish tank and I want to put swinging glass doors on it with a 7in deep substrate glass piece does anyone have ideas on how to do this to make it look right ideas pictures anything would be great... a link to a video... any and all advice is much appreciated thank you. My original plan is to take the front glass off take it to a glass shop have them cut 7 inch off the bottom of it and then the remaining in half to make the doors with does anyone have any ideas on whether or not this will work.? I've tried to search YouTube and cannot find any videos of people doing what I want to do all I can find is sliding glass doors and I don't want sliders.
Old 05-18-18, 08:54 AM   #2
Jim Smith

Re: How to modify fish tank?

I think that you will find most people have opted to lay the tank on its side open top facing you. Then, add the piece of glass (or whatever you plan on using to hold in the substrate). Then make the door(s). It is going to be VERY heavy once you add the substrate, so you might want to consider an external framework around it. This would allow you to add the doors much more easily since they could be attached to the external frame and not put the additional stress on the glass. Good luck and let us know what yu come up with.
Old 05-18-18, 10:52 AM   #3
Shauna0522

Send a message via MSN to Shauna0522 Send a message via Yahoo to Shauna0522

Okay great that sounds like a great idea thank you
Old 06-21-18, 03:58 PM   #4
akane

If you don't need openings on the top and having it 24 depth and 18 height instead works then I agree using the open side is easiest. We did a test 10gallon vertically for baby geckos to have bioactive enclosures by framing it out in wood so we could hang a screen mesh door. Wood was sealed and the plexi turns out has too much bend for even that width to remain waterproof with soil against it and only silicone. I plan to do a 55gallon, 40gallon long, and 30gallon long for the adults this year.

Closed Thread