border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Breeding / Incubation

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-18, 10:33 AM   #1
kazz

enclosure for eggs

Hi.
I know everyone use for eggs vermiculite or perlite. But this very experienced man use water .

That is much more convenient than vermiculite or perlite.
So is it ok to use water ?
Old 01-13-18, 02:20 PM   #2
DJC Reptiles

Re: enclosure for eggs

Hi Kazz,

I like Viper keepers content, but I am still saying it's better to use vermiculite. I have seen this video before, and it is a little outdated. Coastal taipans need high humidity to hatch and I think that's why he used water. I am not too experienced with breeding, so you may want to hear what others have to say.
“The Only Difference Between Fear and Respect is Knowledge”(Daniel Jensen).
Old 01-13-18, 08:12 PM   #3
TRD

kazz, reading through your other posts I think you should first get like 2-3 years experience in actually keeping your snakes before you even venture in breeding anything, especially species with which the market is already flooded.

Just some friendly advise.
Old 01-13-18, 09:33 PM   #4
DJC Reptiles

I don't think he is actually breeding any snakes. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), your just asking a question.
“The Only Difference Between Fear and Respect is Knowledge”(Daniel Jensen).
Old 01-14-18, 01:06 AM   #5
jjhill001

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazz View Post
Hi.
I know everyone use for eggs vermiculite or perlite. But this very experienced man use water .

That is much more convenient than vermiculite or perlite.
So is it ok to use water ?
I couldn't view the video you posted but went on youtube and found him incubating eggs.

The main reason the majority of people use vermiculite and perlite is because there are specific recipes IE 1 ounce of vermiculite to 1 ounce of water. That if used with recommended temps will maintain the proper humidity level for the duration of incubation.

I've never bred reptiles but I've been into reptiles and absorbed every bit of knowledge from just about every book in the library as a kid (some really oldschool 70's reptile books) to now on the internet. His method is resembles the old school aquarium heater in a 10 gallon aquarium half full and the eggs are up out of the water on a rack in a little dish method out of some of the really old books. It's what they would do when a wild caught snake or lizard would come in and lay eggs. That's how we got the first captive hatched animals in the hobby.

One clear benefit that I can see from his method is that it's basically impossible to drown the eggs because they aren't in direct contact with the water which can happen with over-saturated vermiculite or perlite they should stay dry yet humid and clearly it's got to be hard for the eggs to dry completely out.

I'm not completely in the know on the differences between humidity levels for individual snake, lizard or turtle species incubation requirements but I have to imagine they aren't all that much different for example a quick search reveals corn snake eggs should be between 75-90% humidity, while leopard geckos are best at 80-90%. I would be interested to know the exact humidity level in his egg containers which is interesting.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-14-18, 01:10 AM   #6
jjhill001

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
kazz, reading through your other posts I think you should first get like 2-3 years experience in actually keeping your snakes before you even venture in breeding anything, especially species with which the market is already flooded.

Just some friendly advise.
Just a guess but Kazz seems like an enthusiastic young herper who wants to get as much knowledge as he or she can, it's not as easy to find concise large amounts of information in one place anymore they seem to see stuff and come here for clarification. All while fighting what appears to be a bit of a language barrier.

Everyone is giving Kazz a hard time, perhaps just answering their questions or discussing ideas is better, not just for the user but also for others reading the threads.
Old 01-14-18, 02:50 AM   #7
kazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC Reptiles View Post
I don't think he is actually breeding any snakes. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), your just asking a question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhill001 View Post
Just a guess but Kazz seems like an enthusiastic young herper who wants to get as much knowledge as he or she can, it's not as easy to find concise large amounts of information in one place anymore they seem to see stuff and come here for clarification. All while fighting what appears to be a bit of a language barrier.
you are right

Last edited by kazz; 01-14-18 at 03:03 AM..
Old 01-14-18, 02:56 AM   #8
kazz

Quote:
I couldn't view the video you posted but went on youtube and found him incubating eggs.
here is pics as in a video from viperkeeper(youtube member)

Quote:
His method is resembles the old school aquarium heater in a 10 gallon aquarium half full and the eggs are up out of the water on a rack in a little dish method out of some of the really old books. It's what they would do when a wild caught snake or lizard would come in and lay eggs. That's how we got the first captive hatched animals in the hobby.
As far as I saw in his video he use incubator, he just dont use perlite or vermiculite and just place eggs above water.

Last edited by kazz; 01-14-18 at 03:03 AM..
Old 01-14-18, 04:25 AM   #9
jjhill001

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazz View Post
here is pics as in a video from viperkeeper(youtube member)

As far as I saw in his video he use incubator, he just dont use perlite or vermiculite and just place eggs above water.
Just like with keeping snakes I assume there are plenty of ways to keep eggs.
Closed Thread