border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-17, 05:14 PM   #1
Magdalen

PVC/plastic cages

Bare with me if this post doesn't make sense. I didn't sleep all that well and it caught up with me.

So originally I was going to get one of those vivs with the sliding screen tops for Thor, my cape house snake, so I didn't have to strap the lid down like I'm doing in his temp tanks. But then I remembered those screen lids will not hold up to my dumbass kitten (she's over a year but still kittenish), speaking from personal experience many years ago with a similar type tank and my room mates cat -_- Cat caved in lid and sand boa got out. Found the boa not long after but with a house snake I could see him disappearing.

The plan now is to save up for a PVC/plastic cage. I could go for a tub but I'd rather have a nice display tank for him.
Anyway, my questions:
What brands do you like/have been happy with?
How do you heat yours? Would it work with a UTH? Again I worry slightly about using a lamp with dumbass kitten haha.
What size should I look to get from an adult cape house snake? I've got an idea just want to see what other use.

Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 11-30-17, 08:06 PM   #2
trailblazer295

Re: PVC/plastic cages

I use RHPs in all my PVC cages. Low profile (about an inch), don't get hot enough to cause burns and more spread out heating.

In terms of what size RHP it would depend on:
What size cage
Ambient room temp
Desired hot spot temp
Old 11-30-17, 08:16 PM   #3
TLD

For my house snakes I usually use exo-terra glass vivs but I use pvc for my ball pythons and like it. I got my pvc vivs from Constrictors NW a while ago and they've held up fine. I heat mine with radiant heat panels but I've heard of some people using heat tape with pvc cages. Another company I know a lot of people go through is Animal Plastics. Be careful selecting a model with sliding doors because depending on the size of your house snake they may be able to squeeze out. Take the same care with the ventilation holes. You may need to put some sort of mesh over them.

Size would depend on whether you've got a male or a female house snake. With how small male house snakes are even the smaller pvc vivs with a 2ft by 2ft footprint would work for one.
Old 11-30-17, 11:11 PM   #4
Jim Smith

I use PVC cages for all of my snakes heated with RHP from ProProducts. Keeps a nice even temperature and they hold the moisture great for my BRBs.

My cages came from Constrictors Northwest and I have been very happy with them
Old 11-30-17, 11:17 PM   #5
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I prefer Animal Plastics enclosures. RHPs are your best heat source but UTHs work well too for many snake species.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 12-01-17, 12:11 AM   #6
Magdalen

Wow thanks guys! That's a lot of great info. Ok so looks like the rhp is the way to go.
It is a male cape house snake so not a big snake and I wish I could use the exo terra cages but that's just a disaster waiting to happen.
My apartment is poorly insulated, so in the summer with air on looking at about 78 and 70 ish in winter with heat going. Need a hot spot of about 90
He's still growing so I have a while to get it set up and escape proof.
Old 12-06-17, 04:47 PM   #7
kudzu

Am also in the market for a larger cage & looking at PVC with RHP, so this thread caught my attention.
However, my response to Magdalen concerns the cat problem.

We needed something affordable but cat-proof, at least as much as possible. My solution was a Zilla Critter Cage topped with a Zilla Fresh Air Screen Cover. That combo keeps stupid, annoying cats from going through the lid. We do, of course, strongly discourage cats from even getting up by the snake tank, let alone on top but it has happened on occasion. One bonus of using the screen cover is that when it is on, you know you've closed the sliding lid all the way. The screen cover only fits on top when the sliding lid is closed completely.
Old 12-06-17, 06:43 PM   #8
REM955

Here's what I did:
I used Animal Plastics and ProHeat.
ProHeat does not let you buy out right and forces you to call and talk about what you need. (Cage Size, Temp Gradient, etc) Then they will drop ship it to AP Cages, who will install it for you.
I am happy with the process and I will be repeating it in the future. Just regret not getting shelves.
As far as maintaining heat, I have sheets of insulation on the side and back during winter attached with Velcro. Thinking about trying the foil emergency blankets.
Old 12-07-17, 12:04 PM   #9
Magdalen

Thank you kukzu! That's actually a really good idea. I have my gecko setup in an old fish tank with a screen lid clipped on. Supports the cats weight great but I could easily see a snake pushing it up a tad to get out. And trust me I get after her about getting on there, but it's like herding cats. She'll do it when I'm not around. I finally got her to stay off the kitchen counters but that took a while. I think I got her set with the reptiles and when my back is turned she gets on top of a screen ... Part of it is she's still young. And female.

Thank you REM. I think that's the way I'm looking to go. I was hoping to find something at the reptile expo to same on shipping but I like the Proheat ....
Closed Thread