border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-17, 10:42 PM   #1
Catherine

Doing Snake Presentation at School

Hello. I was wanting to do a presentation at my middle school on the psychology behind why people are afraid of snakes and what they misinterpret them for. So I was curious how I should go over why people think they'll "kill" you, they'll "bite" you, which I'll mention that anything with a mouth bites. For the killing part, I was wondering if I should include the fact that venomous snakes are more than likely to kill you if you come across one and pissed it off so much that instead of fleeing it attacks. And many people think they're slimy, I'm bring my 3 foot ball python to school with me to let people touch her, but not hold her. Do you think I'm covered? Or should I add something else?
Login to remove ads
Old 03-03-17, 07:42 AM   #2
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: Doing Snake Presentation at School

Cool of you do a presentation on the fear of snakes. I wish I could help uou with that but I don't really know why people are afraid of them other than the stereotipical reasons you already mentioned.

I'm sure it is a mixture of social 'grooming' of sorts. Such as a snake being the original bad guy in the bible. Then we have the media showing movies where snakes are 'bad' as well. Like Anaconda. As for venomous snakes killing people, well, most bites happen because a person doesn't see it and startle it while walking or whatever and the snakes first reaction may be to bite. Then of course there are some not so good handlers that get bitten and then the media blows it up and sensationalizes it.

Also. Just the human condition of being weary of the unfamiliar. There are no other animals quite like snakes. No legs, no fur or festhers to make it cute and petable, and they deform themselves evey time they swollow a meal whole. They are also ninjas. Jumping out at the last second if startled which naturally startles the person.

Interesting fact about fear is 'fear memory'. As humans, we remember fear far more easily than anything else. This is a natural survivalists method that most animals have. So, id a erson watches a scary movie or is startled by a snake they didn't see just a second ago, that feeling becomes attached to that animal, causing fear to resurface any time they are presented with that animal again.

Ok...I guess I did know more than I thought....but I'm no psychologist! Lol. Good luck on your presentation!

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 03-03-17, 10:09 AM   #3
Kathryntheclean

I've just got this to say.... my husband is scared to death of snakes. Never was before he was 17. We, at the time, were dating and we were taking a stroll in high grass beside a pool on his grandparents land. He steps on a huge black water moccasin that he never even saw. It bites his foot. The snake apparently only bit to say "dude, get off" not to kill. No venom penetrated into the bloodstream. He was very lucky. We went to the hospital, where his foot got swollen, but he did not get sick or have any suffering. After some ice packs, we went home. So there's our story. So, I guess I'm saying snakes are not as deadly as we think. It's just a kind of fear we have about them. I mean, dogs could kill too, but we are ready to stick out a hand to pet one, right? Not necessarily for snakes, though. Of course, when our 13 year old daughter begged her dear daddy for a snake, he caved. But he still hates them and now that our corn snake is housed in my girl's room, he won't even open her door!
Old 03-03-17, 10:37 AM   #4
RedTailRutiodon

It's a point I'd suspect someone to bring up, and there's a very good counterpoint to it:

Odds are pretty good that someone will bring up a fear of snakes as being a natural, instinctive reaction to a dangerous animal from our past (which I think we can all agree is untrue, but it is a point someone will make).

You can make a very good argument that the fear of snakes is very much a Western, Christian sentiment, with older cultures revering them as symbols of health and fertility (the idea coming from watching snakes shed their skin and looking fresher and younger). Hospitals to this day use snakes a symbol of healing!

Old 03-03-17, 12:36 PM   #5
sockSnek

I know this probably isn't quite middle school material, but I think the science behind snake phobias is pretty interesting. If you want to read about it, there's this article. It talks about a study that shows animals are more likely to learn to fear snakes than to fear other things, but aren't born with the fear itself.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-03-17, 02:57 PM   #6
Kathryntheclean

My cat, Happy, is the only other animal in my house who's ok with our corn snake. I got Happy out of a shelter where he and his six brothers and sisters were. Because he was a newborn he was unafraid of everything. I introuduced him directly to my giant Labrador mixes and he loved them-was never scared. So, because he has no ideas about snakes from experience, he actually likes the snake. He'll go up to him when my daughter handles him and lay right by it like it's perfectly natural. I guess every animal has to learn what's scary and what's not. If we don't give any reason to freak out and act like it's normal, the animal will probably learn the same. But, what do i know? I'm neither snake nor cat-just report what i notice.
Old 03-03-17, 04:39 PM   #7
GyGbeetle

Send a message via Yahoo to GyGbeetle

I took an interesting short course at a local rescue society, where they taught us a few things about snakes, which may help to teach about fear of the unknown.

With most snakes, their intent is never to bite anything that is too big for them to eat or kill. That's just survival of the fittest. So a big human to a snake is more of a threat than anything else. With the exception of some very venomous, and yet very chill snakes, all of which are found in Australia and parts of Asia. So this fear people have, it mostly because of the unknown.

A good majority of venomous snakes build up venom over a few days, in order to kill their prey. So why would they waste venom trying to defend their territory too? Like rattlesnakes, who have the ability to ward of anyone invading their snakes, a good majority of North American venoms will first give you a warning, and then a dry bite, before using venom as a last resort. If they use venom, they are left vulnerable and unfed until they can build up their reserves.

there's also this rumor going around that all snakes, venomous or poisonous or none of the above, carry salmonella and other infectious agents, so they are dirty and unhealthy to be around humans. No clue what the origin of this is, but it helps to engage people's fears.

And the last thing I can think of is the concept of invasive species, which we read so much about in Florida. There is sooooo much mis-information about why there are so many burms out there in the swamps of Florida. A lot of people believe that reptile owners become bored of their pets, or their pets became too big, so they flushed them down the toilet, or let them loose out there, and "omg look at them eating all the local wildlife and messing everything up!". when in fact a colony of feral cats can effectively eradicate and even make endangered or instinct local wildlife more so than these snakes. Truth is, there was a huge hurricane that wiped out a breeding facility, and the snakes all got out. In reality, you'd be lucky to catch 1-2 burms in any given month out there in the wetlands, but the media perpetuates this myth that these guys are so invasive, that the American crocodile is all but extinct in that area, which simply isn't true.

Good luck with your project!!!!

But if anyone asks, I only have 1. The rest just showed up for the house party.
Old 03-03-17, 06:17 PM   #8
Catherine

Thank you everyone so much for all the information. I will be using it to my advantage next Friday, as it is the end of the school quarter, and we get out at 12 30. So my ball python is out of her cage for the least amount of time possible.
Old 03-04-17, 11:19 AM   #9
Catherine

Thank you everyone so much for the information. I will use it to my advantage when I do my presentation. Also, it is next Friday, as we get out 12 30 that day. What should I do to keep my snake warm?
Old 03-04-17, 11:42 AM   #10
Scubadiver59

Someone mentioned disposable hand warming packs from an outdoors/sporting good store...they shouldn't get too hot; but you can put a barrier between snake and packs...something like a towel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
Thank you everyone so much for the information. I will use it to my advantage when I do my presentation. Also, it is next Friday, as we get out 12 30 that day. What should I do to keep my snake warm?
Login to remove ads
Old 03-04-17, 06:04 PM   #11
Catherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver59 View Post
Someone mentioned disposable hand warming packs from an outdoors/sporting good store...they shouldn't get too hot; but you can put a barrier between snake and packs...something like a towel.
Okay. Thanks
Old 03-04-17, 09:35 PM   #12
regi375

makes me want to do a presentation at my school...
Old 03-04-17, 11:23 PM   #13
bigsnakegirl785

Unless you've gotten written permission from the school, liability covered, and you either do not let any of the students touch the animal or you have them all sign papers, do not bring your snake to school. You could cause a whole lot of legal trouble for yourself if you do so without having everything squared away beforehand.
Old 03-05-17, 10:05 AM   #14
Klinger

I did a presentation yesterday and several people asked why the snakes don't bite. We talked about why other animals don't bite, and why people don't bite each other. Explain about why animals defend themselves, and possibly add the exception snakes(Some mambas) that actually are aggressive to keep the kids from going out and catching their own snakes.

Another topic that comes up a lot is the fear of snakes, and you could talk about how many people have irrational fears like heights, closed spaces, and spiders so those who do not like snakes understand it is ok to have different thoughts than other people, and everyone is is disturbed by something. I hope it goes well, and you and the students have a fun time!
Old 03-05-17, 06:20 PM   #15
Catherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
Unless you've gotten written permission from the school, liability covered, and you either do not let any of the students touch the animal or you have them all sign papers, do not bring your snake to school. You could cause a whole lot of legal trouble for yourself if you do so without having everything squared away beforehand.
I have already cleared it with the principal and vice-principal. Also the teacher I'm doingoing the presentation with. And I'm also bringing a paper for students to sign. Even though ball pythons are one of the more docile snakes. I'm also bringing stuff to use if she were to bite anyone. Thank you for your concern. But I've had my snake for 4 years and she's never bitten me or my 4 year old brother or ANYONE in my family when there's a party. So I'm not too worried about her attacking someone.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
ball, ball python, presentation, python, school