border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-17, 12:51 PM   #1
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

What do you all use to feed your larger snakes?

A few of my snakes are getting too big for me to use the normal feeding tongs. What do you all with larger snakes use for feeding? I saw some at Midwest tongs but these look like they're more for handling snakes than feeding them. Do I really need to spend $80 for tongs. Anyone have a better option?

Gentle Giant 40 Inch Tong

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Stain...tongs+reptiles
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 01-19-17, 01:01 PM   #2
SnoopySnake

Re: What do you all use to feed your larger snakes?

What do you currently use? I use both of these, from Reptile basics.

I use these 18" tweezer/tongs for my rainbow boas who are around 4 ft.
Tweezer - 18" - Reptile Basics Inc

I use these for the white lip python, he is about 6 ft. They also have 24" tweezer/tongs.
Hemostat - 24"
Old 01-19-17, 01:01 PM   #3
Humble308

I'm not feeding large like you zig but for my tongs I just picked up a large set of needle nose pliers at a pawn shop for $2. In many pawn shops you'll even find automotive hemostats which will bear weight better than regular herp tongs.

20 mins with some steel wool and some oil and my $2 pick up looks better than the $40 set at Lowe's lol. All the best my friend
Old 01-19-17, 01:14 PM   #4
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I'm currently using the 18" tongs but with a 7' bull snake, a 6' carpet python, and a growing olive python, it's getting a little hairy when I open their enclosures for feeding. My bull snake will lunge across the length of her enclosure with her mouth wide open. Those small tongs don't offer enough security for me. It's hard to hold onto a large rat with those things too. I can't imagine trying to dangle an XL rat or small rabbit with them.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 01-19-17, 01:39 PM   #5
SnoopySnake

Hmm, reptile basics also has these tongs, I know they are more for handling snakes but you may have to bite the bullet and get them, especially with the potential size of your olive python. I've seen people use snake tongs for feeding but never personally done it.

Narrow jaws-
40" Snake Handling Tongs - Reptile Basics Inc

Wide jaws-
40" Snake Handling Tongs - Reptile Basics Inc
Login to remove ads
Old 01-19-17, 01:45 PM   #6
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Suppose I'm the weird one out just using normal feeding tongs? Maybe I should use something different.. Never really thought about it.
Old 01-19-17, 01:52 PM   #7
eminart

I have a large (18 or 24" I think) hemostat that I bought off of amazon or ebay. Stop looking at "reptile" stuff and you'll get the same equipment for 1/2 the cost.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 01-19-17, 01:55 PM   #8
eminart

Here you go, $20.

MEGA FORCEPS HEMOSTATS TOOL S.STEEL 24" LONG STRAIGHT | eBay

I filed all but the last "tooth" of the locking section off of mine so it only locks if I clamp it very tight.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 01-19-17, 02:02 PM   #9
dave himself

I just started drop feeding our lot
Old 01-19-17, 02:51 PM   #10
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave himself View Post
I just started drop feeding our lot
That's what I'm thinking too Dave. Even with drop feeding I have to wait until the larger snakes aren't looking to be able to drop the food in their tanks. The carpet is pretty cool. He'll at least wait for me to offer the food to him. The bull is a strike first ask questions later critter. She's almost tagged me a few times. It's amazing how fast they are.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-19-17, 03:37 PM   #11
dave himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Ziggy View Post
That's what I'm thinking too Dave. Even with drop feeding I have to wait until the larger snakes aren't looking to be able to drop the food in their tanks. The carpet is pretty cool. He'll at least wait for me to offer the food to him. The bull is a strike first ask questions later critter. She's almost tagged me a few times. It's amazing how fast they are.
We just get the snake interested up at the opposite side of the viv, then open the other door and throw in the prey item
Old 01-19-17, 04:14 PM   #12
bigsnakegirl785

I use tongs like you'd use for barbecues. They're maybe 12" long, but only hold up to 1 lb rabbits. After that, they're too heavy to grip properly and fall out. After that, I'll probably start tossing them in or find heavy duty locking hemostats or something.
Old 01-19-17, 06:35 PM   #13
SWDK

I use 24" hemostats for my hots and some of my crazy feeders. The other ones get the 18" hemostats.
2 Black Rats,2 Retics,2 Texas Indigo,1 Albino Chinese Beauty,1 Bull,1 Black Milk,1 YT Cribo,1 Albino Garter,5 Corn Snakes,1 Brooksi,1 VBB,1 MBK,1 Bairds Rat,1 Albino Cal King,1 Pied BP,1 Dumerils Boa,2 Rattlesnakes
Old 01-19-17, 06:50 PM   #14
serpentgirl123

I use the 24" hemostats with and without clamp locks (just had to do with what was on sale) for all my snakes--boas to hognoses. Since I don't feed anything larger than a large/medium rat, it works out perfectly and if they happen to bite the hemostat, there isn't too much damage and let go pretty fast.
Old 01-19-17, 08:15 PM   #15
akane

Still dangling rodents by the tail. This is a problem I rapidly need to solve though because my blood python is not growing slowly and when that sucker strikes you don't want to be in the way. My bull is bigger but slow to feed. He'll wait in his cave while I set the rodent on his feeding rock and I have the lid closed before he finishes tasting and eats it. The rosy and king snake are of no concern. The rosy got me once and oh no I bled for less than a minute and noticed the wound for an hour before forgetting it existed. I do have plans for more big snakes in the future though.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread