border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-16, 02:33 PM   #1
Aayrick

Dumerils boa questions

So, there's a boa locally available which I believe to be a Dumerils. I've handled it a few times, seems pretty calm, and has a nice coloration. I was wondering what people's experiences are with these boas. I'm considering getting it, but want to make sure I know a bit more about what I'm getting myself into. I've already got 2 ball pythons and a Columbian Boa, so was thinking this might be a nice addition.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-28-16, 02:51 PM   #2
aaron_cg

Re: Dumerils boa questions

The one's I have had were strike happy as young snakes. Similar behavior to that of a carpet python. As they aged, they typically mellowed out pretty easily.

They enjoy burrowing, and are very much an ambush predator.

If you have the opportunity to get it, and can provide for it correctly, I say go for it. The tend to average around 6-7 feet, so make sure you have a 3x2 or 4x2 enclosure for it.
Old 01-14-17, 03:12 PM   #3
Dozer187

great snakes, i have a juvenile female dumerils, amazing temperament. only thing is she refuses to eat which seems to be a common problem for young dumerils. so make sure the snake is readily eating(hopefully on f/t) before you pick it up
Old 01-15-17, 01:43 AM   #4
toddnbecka

My female is usually easy enough to handle when necessary, though she did strike me unexpectedly once when my wife was holding her and I reached toward her. Individual animals have different tolerances and triggers. A low tub or 12" tall enclosure is fine, they don't climb at all that I've seen.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 01-15-17, 05:14 PM   #5
SWDK

My female dumerils is an awesome snake. She's super sweet and laid back. I have her in a large enclosure with deep substrate. They love to burrow and hide.

2 Black Rats,2 Retics,2 Texas Indigo,1 Albino Chinese Beauty,1 Bull,1 Black Milk,1 YT Cribo,1 Albino Garter,5 Corn Snakes,1 Brooksi,1 VBB,1 MBK,1 Bairds Rat,1 Albino Cal King,1 Pied BP,1 Dumerils Boa,2 Rattlesnakes
Login to remove ads
Old 01-16-17, 09:55 AM   #6
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

I love dumerils myself, beautiful creatures. The ones I had were pretty mellow adults. Had one nippy male.