sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-16, 10:33 AM   #1
cbgarner2002

Red Tail Boa

Hello all!

I'm very interested in potentially getting a Colombian Red Tail Boa when I move into a bigger home. This is still very much in the fledgling stages and I'm trying to do my research before I even begin to think about getting one. Here are my concerns:

This will be my first snake. I've taken care of snakes as I'm a former pet store employee and I'm very aware of how to do it, but I've never personally owned one. I've heard different opinions as to whether or not this is a good first snake due to the fact that they grow larger than the milks, kings, etc. I'm interested in them, not for their size, but for their temperament. Granted, every animal is different and I'm aware that a docile boa isn't a guaranteed thing, but I know their reputation is one of being more chill than most, comparatively. This is very important to me because at the pet store I was bitten by one of the snakes and since that day I've been nervous about handling snakes. I love them and think they're wonderful creatures but unfortunately my body response is what it is and I can't help it. The potential to get bitten is what it is and I'm very aware of this, but I feel that getting a breed that is known to be less nippy is a good plan rather than getting smaller ones that I know first hand can be very nippy, particularly as babies.

What do you all think? I'm very open to suggestions because I'm very committed to owning a snake one day despite my anxiety, I just don't want to make a mistake and bite off more than I can chew.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-30-16, 01:34 AM   #2
toddnbecka

Re: Red Tail Boa

If you want a snake that simply never strikes or bites look into a Dominican red mountain boa. Absolute worst they'll ever do is musk if they're upset. Stinks a bit but it washes off, lol. Lower heat and humidity requirements than red tails. Also not as heavy-bodied when fully grown, identical to a carpet python (or large rat snake) in build.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 01-30-16, 03:19 AM   #3
RAD House

a red mountain boa would be a great option if they were available.
Old 01-30-16, 04:07 PM   #4
Mad Max

Boas can be pretty feisty if they want to be. I know that a ball python nipped you, but they're one of the most placid species out there.
Old 01-30-16, 05:25 PM   #5
AZretic

Most if not all baby snakes will hiss bite and strike. With good amount off handling they get super tame (at least most do) and they are fine. If you have a fear of getting bit then maybe get fish
Login to remove ads
Old 01-30-16, 08:37 PM   #6
dross9615

Well I mean honestly you shouldn't have a problem with a boa especially with regular handling. I mean my guy at less than 2' long is insanely docile I mean I've had to handle him immediately before a feeding with the scent still on my hands of a mouse and he still showed no signs of even wanting to strike. But each individual snake is different but when it comes to being docile from what I've seen and read boas are the place to be. But hey I guess to each their own.
Old 01-30-16, 09:01 PM   #7
cbgarner2002

Interestingly enough its not even the bite itself that alarms me its the anticipation of the strike. My beardie, for example, used to give plenty of warning that she was displeased and going to try and bite me but snakes, at least for me, are much harder to read. I'm sure once I had one and got used to its body language I'd get more of an idea of when it wasn't happy.
Old 02-02-16, 02:52 PM   #8
Snakesitter

Most species get super tame with handling. Just last night I was working with one of our senior female rainbows to remove some stuck shed...on her chin and neck. I had to restrain her and gently work it off (done after several hours of soaking to soften it), and while this is a sensitive area for snakes and while she objected to the restraint, she never once got angry at me or tried to bite. Redtails are supposed to be even more docile with regular handling.
Website, Facebook
Closed Thread