border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-16, 06:30 PM   #1
cbgarner2002

Snake anxiety

Hello all! I had something I wanted to ask some fellow reptile lovers about and maybe get some good advice. I've always been attracted to the aesthetics of snakes and have always wanted one for a pet. I've handled them multiple times in my life and think I'd really enjoy having one for a pet. Something happened to me a few years back that has unfortunately had more of an impact on my potential relationship with snakes than I care to admit.

I was working for a pet store in the specialty pets area which entailed feeding the snakes. I'd fed each of them countless times without incident and thoroughly enjoyed interacting with them. One day I was feeding a ball python when he struck my hand. Granted, I'm a pretty jumpy person to begin with, but it scared the ever loving bejesus out of me, I jumped and knocked over things, etc. Since that day I have anxiety with snakes in that its almost in innate fear that they're going to strike at me. My mind knows that this type of thing comes with the territory and that most bites are from feeding mistakes but for whatever reason I just get really anxious around them now, which I hate because I find them to be such amazing animals. Any advice on how to overcome this? Has anything like this happened to anyone before and caused anything similar?
Login to remove ads
Old 01-29-16, 08:09 PM   #2
dross9615

Re: Snake anxiety

Start off really small maybe go to the pet store or find a breeder in your area with maybe cornsnakes. Because if a baby or just a younger corn bites you your not really going to feel more than a pinch. Just work your way up until you feel comfortable again. I really wouldnt get anything large just because I feel like the fear would be super heightened due to the pain of larger snake bites. But I think if you see a cute little tiny corn your anxiety might go away. Just a suggestion
Old 01-29-16, 08:26 PM   #3
pitontheprowl

Find someone with older animals that are use to tolerating us.
All hatchlings can be pissy because they think everything is out to eat them.
Old 01-29-16, 08:53 PM   #4
dross9615

I only suggested hatchlings because even if they do bite you really don't have anything to worry about. Little to no pain which I think is part of the anxiety. Kind of suggesting exposure therapy haha
Old 01-29-16, 09:47 PM   #5
macandchz

re:snake anxiety, if you happen to live near a pet shop that might have a small snake you might like to own, visit the shop several times and ask to hold the snake and see how he reacts to you. when my dtr. bought macandchz she did this several times -plus he was expensive and she had to get the money together to buy him. it was almost like they got used to each other and when she finally did get him home,he adjusted very easily. i do't know if it's true but i was told albino pythons have calm dispositions .
Login to remove ads
Old 01-30-16, 09:14 AM   #6
cbgarner2002

Thanks for the advice and I'll try that. I think what caught me off guard was that the bite came from a ball python which, up until that point, were notoriously chill snakes. I'd never seen one be aggressive before so it took me by surprise. The California King that we had, on the other hand, was vicious so I would've been more cautious!
Old 01-30-16, 12:04 PM   #7
pet_snake_78

I just let the snakes bite me, unless you're keeping something really big it doesn't hurt. With the smaller snakes, I usually don't even need a bandaid.
Old 01-30-16, 01:49 PM   #8
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbgarner2002 View Post
Thanks for the advice and I'll try that. I think what caught me off guard was that the bite came from a ball python which, up until that point, were notoriously chill snakes. I'd never seen one be aggressive before so it took me by surprise. The California King that we had, on the other hand, was vicious so I would've been more cautious!

All snakes are individuals and many factors come into play as to why a snake will strike or attempt to bite. I have encountered some very bitey ball pythons personally. California kingsnakes like their food and sometimes they'll mistake fingers for food...and they can be very nervous which causes them to be quite defensive, but "vicious" is definitely the wrong word to use here when they're the one facing a giant.

Best way to get over this fear/anxiety is to face it head on. Take some bites, but also don't overwhelm yourself because it may have the opposite effect that you want it to.
Old 02-03-16, 05:30 PM   #9
Zelg

I had a ton of anxiety about getting bit. Fortunately, I'm not too jumpy and if anything I didnt have a reaction to the bite because it happened and was over before I realized wtf just happened. I would recommend looking on youtube for some handling videos for aggressive snakes. Theres been a few things that I believed have helped me a bit...though what can work on some snakes will just entice others lol.

^I gotta agree with andy. Face it head on, EXPECT to get bit. I was bit twice by a young White Lipped Python recently. Scared the bejeebus outta me but it was over and done before I knew what happened. He was also curcled around my arm so I couldnt exactly jump and run away lol. I bled more than I thought it would but it wasnt anything crazy. It literally felt like someone whapped my finger with a #2 pencil.
Old 02-03-16, 06:26 PM   #10
ngav3

My first snake bite was a long time ago while field herping around a pond and finding a very PO'd gravid female garter. She bit me once, and to be honest it really wasnt super painful. It may look scary when they strike, but if its a smaller snake theres little to know pain at all.

My advice-Like dross9615 said, let a baby snake bite you a few times and work your way up from there.
Old 02-03-16, 09:46 PM   #11
sam

In my experience, the fear of the bite is MUCH worse than the actual bite. In my opinion you're in more danger around a feeding dog than you are around a hungry snake. Do you know if the snakes get handled? keep in mind that in alot of pet stores Ive seen the only time the enclosures get opened is for food, so there may be some more inherent cage bites because of that. Having said that, I've only been bitten by young snakes and I may just be speaking of ignorance.
Old 02-04-16, 08:24 PM   #12
macandchz

if you are going to look at snake videos on youtube, stay away from "snakebytes" -they have a nut-job on there named chewy who gets bit for kicks! but seriously after seeing those videos i'm a little afraid of getting bit,too. maybe that's a good thing. it keeps in perspective that mac is a wild pet, not a domestic one and i need to stay alert and slightly cautious when handling him.
Old 02-04-16, 08:36 PM   #13
trailblazer295

A small snake will get the fear of being bitten away because like others have said it is basically harmless. A baby spotted python bit me once and didn't even break the skin. Looked at my thumb of the hand I was holding him with, tilted his head 45degrees and bam. Or hold a corn or ball that is very relaxed and let it work through your hands. The fact you loved snakes before and want to love them again means you can get over it. It's like jumping in the pool of cold water, just take the plunge and you'll be okay. Good luck.
Old 02-06-16, 08:57 AM   #14
sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandchz View Post
if you are going to look at snake videos on youtube, stay away from "snakebytes" -they have a nut-job on there named chewy who gets bit for kicks!
Awh man, I love snakebytes. Nothing more entertaining that watching Chewy getting bit in the nipple by a grumpy snake . In general though I think that the main guy Brian is a pretty good example for new owners. He gets bit all the time on cam and he hardly flinches. It's helped me gain a lot of confidence around my (sometimes grouchy) snakes. Their videos have been pretty educational however and are part of the reason I got into herps.

Go snakebytes!
Old 02-06-16, 05:02 PM   #15
macandchz

dear sam, i agree with you 100% about Snakebytes. i do learn a lot from brian and I've been bugging my husband to plan a vacation around a trip to see their place. i heard you can get a tour. as for chewy... that's what too much stuff up the nose will do to you, man!!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread