sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Varanid

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-16, 06:50 AM   #1
Kirsty-k

Getting a poorly Nile monitor

Hi everyone, new to forum.

Last week we noticed a Nile monitor up for sale on a local Facebook group and we have decided to take him on. He is very thin and looks very poorly from the photos and his current owner has said he doesn't eat.
He currently lives in a fish tank and a heat bulb with no substrates only paper but we have a vivarium ready here for him to go in. Having read up on their care over the last few day we realise our viv is not ideal for him either but will be a lot better than his current situation.

We have joined here to get tips from experienced owners and as a place to show his progress
Login to remove ads
Old 01-17-16, 11:28 PM   #2
dannybgoode

Re: Getting a poorly Nile monitor

What do you know about Nile"s? What experience do you have of keeping lizards?

If you're an experienced keeper with a viv or room at least 10'*6'*4' and are happy that you can handle a lizard that will top 6' even 7' and weigh 10 stone plus and possibly be grumpy and that has the claws of an Eagle then go for it.

If you know your current viv is no good then again I wouldn't get it. Whilst I understand your desire to give it a home better than what it has now one of the things that makes a Nile aggressively defensive is a home that is too small as they feel cornered and in the long run you will not be helping it much.

If not then really please pass on the opportunity. They are massive lizards who need a huge amount of space, will need $$$ of food, heat and lighting. They can have a temper on them and can do serious ham if they are so inclined.

As I say, you haven't said what your experience is so no patronising is intended in the above.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 01-18-16, 12:07 PM   #3
murrindindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
What do you know about Nile"s? What experience do you have of keeping lizards?

If you're an experienced keeper with a viv or room at least 10'*6'*4' and are happy that you can handle a lizard that will top 6' even 7' and weigh 10 stone plus and possibly be grumpy and that has the claws of an Eagle then go for it.

If you know your current viv is no good then again I wouldn't get it. Whilst I understand your desire to give it a home better than what it has now one of the things that makes a Nile aggressively defensive is a home that is too small as they feel cornered and in the long run you will not be helping it much.

If not then really please pass on the opportunity. They are massive lizards who need a huge amount of space, will need $$$ of food, heat and lighting. They can have a temper on them and can do serious ham if they are so inclined.

As I say, you haven't said what your experience is so no patronising is intended in the above.
Hi, I agree with almost all you`ve said except the statement that they can weight 140lbs, where are you getting your info? Even at 2 meters a healthy adult would weigh around 40lbs...
Old 01-18-16, 12:09 PM   #4
murrindindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsty-k View Post
Hi everyone, new to forum.

Last week we noticed a Nile monitor up for sale on a local Facebook group and we have decided to take him on. He is very thin and looks very poorly from the photos and his current owner has said he doesn't eat.
He currently lives in a fish tank and a heat bulb with no substrates only paper but we have a vivarium ready here for him to go in. Having read up on their care over the last few day we realise our viv is not ideal for him either but will be a lot better than his current situation.

We have joined here to get tips from experienced owners and as a place to show his progress
Hi, how big is the monitor just now and what size enclosure do you have, plus do you have any experience with Varanids?
Old 01-18-16, 12:35 PM   #5
dannybgoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrindindi View Post
Hi, I agree with almost all you`ve said except the statement that they can weight 140lbs, where are you getting your info? Even at 2 meters a healthy adult would weigh around 40lbs...
Speed typing, not thinking. Wrote at 5 am after being vomited on by a poorly toddler. I meant 10kg+-not stone. Thanks for correcting and good spot.

To the op, it's worth mentioning that people often don't bother with a viv for a nile and instead convert a spare room. Yes they get that big and yes they require that kind of space. Bear in mind for example they like a water area big enough to fit their whole body in - That's a huge amount of floor space just for that.

Further if you have small children or other pets (particularly free roaming ones such as cats and dogs) I really wouldn't consider getting the lizard.

They're a massive commitment and not something to jump into just because one is in a bad way. You really wouldn't be helping it out in the long run.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Login to remove ads
Old 01-18-16, 01:22 PM   #6
Kirsty-k

Thanks for the replies.

The only monitor experience I have is with a ackie, not really Nile territory I know. But I do have experience with iguanas as my dad has two who are both in their late teens now and we have had them since babies.

The Nile is between 1-2ft I can't tell by the photos and if I do get him, an adult enclosure wouldn't be a problem.

I spoke to his owner earlier and he said we could collect tomorrow if we wanted him.
Old 01-18-16, 03:38 PM   #7
murrindindi

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

The only monitor experience I have is with a ackie, not really Nile territory I know. But I do have experience with iguanas as my dad has two who are both in their late teens now and we have had them since babies.

The Nile is between 1-2ft I can't tell by the photos and if I do get him, an adult enclosure wouldn't be a problem.

I spoke to his owner earlier and he said we could collect tomorrow if we wanted him.
You haven`t said how big the enclosure is that you have just now, can you put a couple of photos up of it?
Old 01-18-16, 04:00 PM   #8
dannybgoode

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Can you house a fully grown nile i.e do you have a spare room to dedicate to it or a massive free space in an existing room for a viv of at least the size I mentioned in my first post?

If not don't get it.

Do you have a cat. Would you be upset if it was killed in a lizard related accident? If not don't get it.

Can you change what will essentially be a large bath's worth of dirty lizard water at least once a day? If not don't get it.

Do you mind sharing your house with a 7' lizard who may be aggressive toward you most of the time (ok it might not be but you just don't know at this stage and nile's can be grumpy). If not don't get it.

What will you do if it turns out to be the sort of lizard where you need two people on hand every time you feed it, muck it out, change its water etc? Will there always be two people around? If not don't get it.

In fact I'd just say don't get it. That is unless you're competely happy with all of the above and realise that it will be about as much work as a small child, cost about the same only you won't be able to go on holiday because unlike a child you can't take it with you and you'll struggle to find a babysitter for a week or two.
Old 01-18-16, 07:40 PM   #9
sirtalis

You know you'll need at least a 12+ foot cage when its an adult, I just got a peacock monitor, less than a week ago and its been more work in one day than the rest of my collection in a week, actually probably 2 weeks
Old 01-18-16, 07:46 PM   #10
sirtalis

Check out this guy, he's got some pretty healthy monitors.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7so_PG8-5aA
Old 01-19-16, 01:00 AM   #11
dannybgoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtalis View Post
Check out this guy, he's got some pretty healthy monitors.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7so_PG8-5aA
That gives you an idea of a) how big their enclosure needs to be (viv is just not an appropriate word for something that size) and b) how much they eat. That's a lot of money being eaten each feed.

Yes they are truly awesome creatures but more of a job than a hobby. They're not the sort of animal that you can be out of the house ask day working then just spend a bit of time with in the evening.

You'll have an electricity bill to rival a marajuana growers also.

Have a read here Correct Savannah Monitor Care. Ok it relates to savannah monitors (also known as bosc monitors here in the UK) but it gives you an idea of the amount of time and care big monitors need.

If anything the nile will be even more work just because the scale of everything is just that bit bigger.

Genuinely not trying to pass on your fire with all this negatively. It's great you want to rescue it but you've got to have thought really long and hard before going in to this. Time, money, space and the willingness to commit 20 years of your life to looking after this lizard.

A couple of final thoughts. Have you asked why the person is getting rid of it. I bet I can guess - it's way too much work for them, costs tons of money and their lizard is a grumpy, aggressive beast that they simply can't handle. To be honest, if you were happy to commit the resources to looking after it I wouldn't pay money for it, they're just trying to get a bit of cash back out.

Also you say it looks poorly. Are you setting yourself up for £££££ of vets bills, do you know how to nurse it back to health, has it been mistreated and is therefore extremely defensive?

Again, if I was going to commit to such a beast of be looking for a nice healthy specimen with provenance.

Rescuing a poorly nile when you have no experience of the large monitors is a massive risk...
Old 01-19-16, 09:49 AM   #12
sirtalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
That gives you an idea of a) how big their enclosure needs to be (viv is just not an appropriate word for something that size) and b) how much they eat. That's a lot of money being eaten each feed.

Yes they are truly awesome creatures but more of a job than a hobby. They're not the sort of animal that you can be out of the house ask day working then just spend a bit of time with in the evening.

You'll have an electricity bill to rival a marajuana growers also.

Have a read here Correct Savannah Monitor Care. Ok it relates to savannah monitors (also known as bosc monitors here in the UK) but it gives you an idea of the amount of time and care big monitors need.

If anything the nile will be even more work just because the scale of everything is just that bit bigger.

Genuinely not trying to pass on your fire with all this negatively. It's great you want to rescue it but you've got to have thought really long and hard before going in to this. Time, money, space and the willingness to commit 20 years of your life to looking after this lizard.

A couple of final thoughts. Have you asked why the person is getting rid of it. I bet I can guess - it's way too much work for them, costs tons of money and their lizard is a grumpy, aggressive beast that they simply can't handle. To be honest, if you were happy to commit the resources to looking after it I wouldn't pay money for it, they're just trying to get a bit of cash back out.

Also you say it looks poorly. Are you setting yourself up for £££££ of vets bills, do you know how to nurse it back to health, has it been mistreated and is therefore extremely defensive?

Again, if I was going to commit to such a beast of be looking for a nice healthy specimen with provenance.

Rescuing a poorly nile when you have no experience of the large monitors is a massive risk...
this. ^^^^ savannahmonitor.net is like the bible for proper varanid care even though it is for boscs, I think it would work for 90% of monitor species
Old 01-20-16, 12:56 PM   #13
Kirsty-k

Thanks for the link to that website,I will have a proper read of it when I have more time.

We collected the monitor today and the monitor is a lot worse that first thought and the person we got him off said he stopped moving all together on monday.

I will post a few of him. My dad is currently giving him some antibiotics. My dad is actually a vet, an agricultural vet but he is very knowledgeable of all animals so hopefully the monitor will get better.
Old 01-20-16, 01:22 PM   #14
dannybgoode

Quote:
Thanks for the link to that website,I will have a proper read of it when I have more time.

We collected the monitor today and the monitor is a lot worse that first thought and the person we got him off said he stopped moving all together on monday.

I will post a few of him. My dad is currently giving him some antibiotics. My dad is actually a vet, an agricultural vet but he is very knowledgeable of all animals so hopefully the monitor will get better.
I hope you didn't pay money for him. You'll need all you can get by the sound of it...
Old 01-20-16, 01:25 PM   #15
Kirsty-k

No we didn't pay anything.

I can't seem to post the pics, I don't have full membership to the site yet
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread