border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-15, 06:54 PM   #1
Mmrseed

Angry #%$!i vet killed my snake

My green tree python got killed today. Last six weeks he has been regurgitating. Temps and humidity were fine, he drank regularly and was very active (for a green tree). He was alert and energetic when I took him to the vet. He bit the vet twice and that seemed to piss him off. No blockage and some poop came out. But he didn't analyze the fecal matter, he manhandled my lil snake and jammed a probe down his neck. 5 minutes later my snake was dead. The doctor says he is not at fault and the snake died because he was sick anyway
0.0.2 GTP 1.2 BCC morph 2.2 ball python morph 1.0 IJ carpet python 1.0 dwarf retic 0.1 short tail python 1.0 MBK 1.0 black roughneck monitor 1.0 russian tortoise 1.0 dumerils boa 1.0 crested gecko 0.0.1 Tanzanian egg eater 0.0.1 beardie
Login to remove ads
Old 09-05-15, 07:12 PM   #2
zactay22

Re: #%$!i vet killed my snake

Sorry to hear that, if that would have happened to one of my snakes I would have been pissed.
Old 09-05-15, 07:33 PM   #3
malgus

Yeah if someone did that to one of my animals they would be inserting breathing tubes down his neck by the end of the day. Sorry to hear about your snake mate
"In my dream, the world had suffered a terrible disaster. A black haze shut out the sun, and the darkness was alive with the moans and screams of wounded people. Suddenly, a small light glowed. A candle flickered into life, symbol of hope for millions. A single tiny candle, shining in the ugly dark. I laughed and blew it out."- Joker
Old 09-05-15, 08:14 PM   #4
Mikoh4792

What kind of vet is he? Does he specialize in reptiles? Did it look like he knew what he was doing when handling the snake?

I know it's too late, but the first hint you get that he doesn't know what he's doing, it's time to walk out of that office with your animal and find someone who is experienced and more caring.

I'm sorry for your loss. I would be livid.
Old 09-05-15, 08:28 PM   #5
Mmrseed

Says he specializes in reptiles and my normal herp vet couldn't get me an appointment for another 3 weeks. I am livid and distraught. This is one of two green trees we have and both are ultra tame. I'm going to see if my regular vet can do a necropsy in less than 3 weeks
0.0.2 GTP 1.2 BCC morph 2.2 ball python morph 1.0 IJ carpet python 1.0 dwarf retic 0.1 short tail python 1.0 MBK 1.0 black roughneck monitor 1.0 russian tortoise 1.0 dumerils boa 1.0 crested gecko 0.0.1 Tanzanian egg eater 0.0.1 beardie
Login to remove ads
Old 09-05-15, 10:59 PM   #6
SnoopySnake

I can't even express how angry I'd be in your situation. I'm so sorry for your loss... What are you going to do if the necropsy results point to this?
Old 09-06-15, 05:15 AM   #7
MDT

Mmrseed...wow. I am sorry for the loss. Losing a pet is never good. I want to give another perspective however. I don't know your vet, so I'm not taking sides, but there *could* another side.

6 weeks of regurge could result in issues (like electrolyte disturbances- despite the intake of water). There may have been underlying metabolic issues that were SUBclinical (meaning not apparent at the time) that along with the stress of being handled caused its death (high cardiac output, etc). A probe down the throat shouldn't have caused a death. It would be uncomfortable but unless there was significant blood, not that many fatal possibilities (again possible, but not a typical problem).

As a physician, I see this frequently, in that what seems like a direct correlation, actually has very little relevance at all to the situation, only coincidence.

I think a necropsy would be a good idea. There may well be a direct cause from the vet. But equally so, there is a possibility that your snake would have died regardless, and the stress of the vet visit hastened that.

Let us know what the necropsy shows. Again, sorry for your loss.
Old 09-06-15, 01:33 PM   #8
Albert Clark

Sorry for the loss. The vet may not be directly responsible for the death ,but he certainly is and was a contributing factor to the death. For him to say what he said shows he has no empathy for the snake or you and you should immediately head down to small claims court with your story and any evidence you have about the snake. All your receipts , documentation and let a judge determine how the vet is not responsible. The nerve of him to be so uncaring. Make sure to do a couple of free consultations with a few attorneys. Good luck and so sorry once again.
Old 09-06-15, 01:54 PM   #9
MDT

Wow...we've escalated to an atty (or 2) and there is (at this time) no causality. Mmrseed, your plan on the necropsy is sound. Wait till you have the facts. If the intervention the vet performed is causation, you may talk to the governing board of vets in your state for redress. I doubt you'll get an atty to take this as a case.

Again, very sorry for your loss.
Old 09-06-15, 06:32 PM   #10
Eggplant

Oh no I remember I was scared for my snake when the vet squeezed poop out of her.. There seem to be lots of vets who take reptile visits when they know next to nothing about them. I do hope that the vet wasn't at fault though.. that would make many people afraid to go to the vet. Very sorry for your loss
Old 09-06-15, 07:13 PM   #11
prairiepanda

Sorry for your loss I hope they didn't charge you for the visit???

Let us know how the necropsy goes, if you manage to get one done. It would really give some peace of mind to know one way or the other whether the vet was at fault. Sounds like you had a bad experience with him all around, though...
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Old 09-06-15, 07:40 PM   #12
Mmrseed

Thanks guys. I have no idea what was causing my snake to regurgitate and it's possible that I might have lost him one day...even one day soon, but he was alert and moving and drinking and showing no signs of being sick at all other than the regurgitation. 5 minutes after this doctor touched him (quite roughly) he was dead. The doctor was a jerk and whatever my remedies are I will seek them out
Old 09-07-15, 12:45 AM   #13
pet_snake_78

The timing is a bit suspect. Hope that the cause can be determined.
Closed Thread