border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-15, 12:02 AM   #1
jobu84

Bugs in my cage

Hey guys. So I'm having trouble keeping tiny bugs out of my snake tank. I have cypress mulch and I have a rainforest type snake which has me keep the humidity up. Luckily my snake likes heights so she's never on the ground and so never in contact with the bugs really, but I don't like how the bugs multiply in the humidified mulch. I hate this problem. Any suggestions are welcome.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-15-15, 10:20 AM   #2
havoc_vulture

Re: Bugs in my cage

Sounds like you have mites. Or your snake rather not you lol. A lot of people suggest the NIX treatment, search the forum and you'll find the instructions for it. It's pretty effective. And check your snake he's bound to have them in his scales and stuff
Old 08-15-15, 10:25 AM   #3
Tiny Boidae

Havoc, bugs doesn't necessarily equate to mites. If they were mites, you'd be seeing them on the snake, not the substrate. These can be a variety of things, but the most effective way to get rid of them is a complete and total substrate change... Although that doesn't keep them from reappearing again. Why not send us a pic of one if you can? Bugs can be a healthy part in an enclosure, as they can break down feces and airate the soil for plants and good bacteria and such. Not saying this is your case, but it wouldn't hurt to see what the critters are
Old 08-15-15, 10:28 AM   #4
havoc_vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Boidae View Post
Havoc, bugs doesn't necessarily equate to mites. If they were mites, you'd be seeing them on the snake, not the substrate. These can be a variety of things, but the most effective way to get rid of them is a complete and total substrate change... Although that doesn't keep them from reappearing again. Why not send us a pic of one if you can? Bugs can be a healthy part in an enclosure, as they can break down feces and airate the soil for plants and good bacteria and such. Not saying this is your case, but it wouldn't hurt to see what the critters are
You are right lol I jumped the gun a bit.
Old 08-15-15, 10:42 AM   #5
Tiny Boidae

Havoc_Vulture-

You're fine, don't sweat it. They could be mites, but you'd see them on the snake before the substrate usually.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-15-15, 01:14 PM   #6
jarich

I would guess wood mites or fungus gnats are likely in that sort of a set up. If you want to control them then you could switch to a bioactive substrate.
Old 08-15-15, 05:07 PM   #7
eminart

I'd ignore them unless they actually are mites. Or unless there's just an overwhelming number of them.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 08-16-15, 09:25 AM   #8
jobu84

I'll see if I can get you guys a pic. But I didn't think they were mites because I never saw them on her and they don't seem inclined to get near her. I dont know if anyone is acquainted with grey/silver bugs that look like dust or are near paper. They jump quickly away when you try to squash them, like they look like they disappear really quickly until you look around and they are somewhere else. They are really small, like little smaller than ants but you can still see them milling about.

I plan to change the substrate out completely and try a larger bowl to increase the humidity instead of a humidifier. Reason I had a humidifier is that I dont believe a bowl can get the humidity between 60-80%. But I'll try.
Old 08-17-15, 06:01 PM   #9
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarich View Post
I would guess wood mites or fungus gnats are likely in that sort of a set up. If you want to control them then you could switch to a bioactive substrate.
I agree!

If they're wood mites or gnats they're harmless. Switching substrates is a great way to get rid of them
Old 08-17-15, 06:06 PM   #10
reptiledude987

Changing the substrate will help as stated but what you may want to do as well is to sanitize the whole enclosure as well so they dont just pop up in the fresh stuff again.
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
bugs, humidity