border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-15, 04:15 PM   #1
DDW

Diurnal vs Nocturnal

Just curious, what is in your opinion the pros and cons of diurnal or/and nocturnal species of herps?
Login to remove ads
Old 07-23-15, 04:58 PM   #2
eminart

Re: Diurnal vs Nocturnal

Diurnal
Pros: they're out when you can see them
Cons: none

Nocturnal
Pros: none
Cons: they're not out when you can see them

I'd rather all snakes were diurnal. But it's definitely not a deal breaker.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 07-23-15, 05:05 PM   #3
trailblazer295

Depends on your personal habits in your lifestyle. If you're someone that works a lot and isn't home during the day and diurnal only animal maybe isn't the best choice if you're getting only 1 pet. Because it's mostly active when you're not around to watch it. While noctural will give you more watching entertainment when you're home. Different story if you have 2 or more. For example I'll be up to 3 snakes once they all come in. A ball python, Mexican black kingsnake and a Indonesian vine snake. So bit of a mix of nocturnal, diurnal and sort of middle of the road.

Nocturnal cage equipment is cheaper due to not needing lighting, uv bulbs etc.

Beyond that it just comes down to what species catch your and personally like.

I would like a lizard but the daily care required doesn't fit my lifestyle and work life. Snakes are more my speed. I have a pushy cat and that's enough high demand for me for now lol
Old 07-23-15, 05:36 PM   #4
SSSSnakes

Pros: Get some of both. The you can watch them day and night. The more snakes the better.
Old 07-23-15, 06:00 PM   #5
MDT

it's kinda funny...my carpets like to perch and they make great display animals....but not super active at all during the day. at night, when i have to go into the "snake room", i'll kick on the lights and it looks like they're having a party..they are all over the place. so yeah, basically what eminart said
Login to remove ads
Old 07-23-15, 06:06 PM   #6
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

I like them all and have them all and want more! Lol

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 07-23-15, 06:48 PM   #7
pet_snake_78

I guess it depends on if you want to watch something out in the open a lot. There are some species that will come out during the day to bask or chase food or whatever. Most species I keep hide during the day but with time most will come out to beg for food or at least poke their head out of a hide. I can't say that I prefer one over the other although if you only had one pet reptile I could see wanting something more visible.
Old 07-23-15, 08:45 PM   #8
DDW

I guess all of your answers are what I should have expected I think I want a diurnal snake for my next(insert opertunity to tell me your favorite diurnal and/or nocturnal snake here)

@Minkness BUY ALL THE SNAKES!!!!!!

@ssssnakes again BUY ALL THE SNAKES!!!!!!

Thank you all for giving me your input.
Old 07-23-15, 08:55 PM   #9
Minkness
Forum Moderator

I have become VERY fond of my hoggies. They almost never hide and are pretty active but also mellow when handled. I see them out and about way more than my king snake. =)

Old 07-24-15, 06:36 AM   #10
DDW

I'm leaning back to the albino cali kings (I guess you can tell I love yellow lol)

I did run across some stuff with hybrids with kings, milks, and corns. I'm going to ask about this in another thread, but if you like any hybrids, let me know(I know the bit about mudding up blood lines and difference in care ect, as far as I've seen,kings corns and milks have basically the same conditions of care, other than size, that is the only reason I'm bringing it up at all)

To stay on topic, I know some species are more diurnal as some nocturnal. As far as I know, none of these species require special lighting so that also should not make a difference in care right?

Last edited by DDW; 07-24-15 at 06:49 AM..
Login to remove ads
Old 07-24-15, 08:25 AM   #11
Obsidian_Dragon

My diurnal snakes are plenty active even during the early morning/evening hours when I'm at home. And of course, on the weekends, when I have more time to handle them!

My nocturnal snake is...seldom caught out, even at late hours.

Russian rat = best snake. (and they have yellow! ...as adults)
Old 07-24-15, 08:44 AM   #12
Sylphie

Uhh I think that it's mostly the matter of each snake. I was having ball python that was super curious, and was out and about for most of the day. And I'm having 2 colubrids that are rather "wait till night, and then we can go out of our hides". I have one corn and one Russian Rat that are super active, always want to go out, and you can see them all the time.
Old 07-24-15, 08:48 AM   #13
DDW

I understand that, each snake has its own personality. Isn't it the norm for corns to be out and about most the day as well?
Old 07-24-15, 08:51 AM   #14
Sylphie

Haha, I'm having two that sometimes are like that, but they often go hiding for month/two... and then one day they start to be more active again. I check everything in husbandry, but these seems to be just "i don't have the mood to go out".
Old 07-24-15, 08:52 AM   #15
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphie View Post
Uhh I think that it's mostly the matter of each snake. I was having ball python that was super curious, and was out and about for most of the day. And I'm having 2 colubrids that are rather "wait till night, and then we can go out of our hides". I have one corn and one Russian Rat that are super active, always want to go out, and you can see them all the time.
This is soooo true. I have 2 ball pythons. One is ALWAYS in his hide unless he's hungry, then the other is out, sprawls in the middle of her floor, hangs halfway outside of her hide, hides under an 'incomplete' hide and just likes to watch everything. I have 2 hognoses that hide alot, and then 3 that don't, and one that also likes to sprawl in the middle of her floor. Then my kingsnake also is a hider. Almost never see her out but I do catch her peeking around every so often.

Login to remove ads
Closed Thread