border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-15, 10:27 AM   #1
KyleKennedy

How often should a one year old 4 foot long retic eat

Is a jumbo rat a week okay or every two weeks?
Login to remove ads
Old 06-17-15, 04:08 PM   #2
IW17

Re: How often should a one year old 4 foot long retic eat

Jumbo rat is too big for a four foot retic. More appropriate would be a weaned/small rat weekly.
Old 06-17-15, 09:26 PM   #3
KyleKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IW17 View Post
Jumbo rat is too big for a four foot retic. More appropriate would be a weaned/small rat weekly.
I fed him a jumbo last night. Took him about an hour to swallow it, but he did. Weaned/small rats are way too small. I am thinking he can already take small bunnies.
Old 06-17-15, 09:31 PM   #4
KyleKennedy

Here he is after taking a jumbo. He looks dead, but he's not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed (1).jpg (24.9 KB, 131 views)
Old 06-17-15, 09:35 PM   #5
KyleKennedy

During the process of swallowing it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed (2).jpg (23.8 KB, 131 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 06-17-15, 10:36 PM   #6
that1guy

Wow, that is way too big of a meal for that little guy. I don't understand how you can't tell that. I mean just from looking at that picture the snake is stretched to it's limit. I agree it should be eating a small, or possibly medium at the maximum, rat once every 7 days. Just because a snake can force huge prey down doesn't mean you should feed them huge prey. After that large of a meal I wouldn't feed it for at least a month. Over feeding them huge prey items week after week to force them to grow faster is unhealthy for the snake.
Old 06-17-15, 10:44 PM   #7
CosmicOwl

In another thread, you said that you fed a ball python a jumbo rat which it hadn't digested in a week. Now you ask if a jumbo rat is too big for your retic, and then ignore the advice of a poster and feed your snake a clearly oversized rat. On top of that, you make the worrying statement that think you can push the snake further.

This isn't a competition. There is no reason to stress your snakes out by feeding them massive meals.
Old 06-17-15, 10:45 PM   #8
SnoopySnake

Yeah that is wayyy too big, especially taking that long to eat it...if small rats are really too small then try mediums... I don't understand the whole deal with feeding them the biggest they can eat, its completely unnecessary, unhealthy and added stress...
Old 06-17-15, 11:04 PM   #9
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I have to concur. That's obviously too large of a meal for the snake. You really should heed the advice you've received and dial back the prey size.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 06-18-15, 04:24 AM   #10
jossh27

The first picture reminds me of my brother after Christmas dinner.... Except this time he ate the entire turkey
Login to remove ads
Old 06-18-15, 05:57 AM   #11
Albert Clark

Yeah Kyle, too big for him now at his size. Maybe in the wild that would be the norm but try to go with mediums for now. You can always increase the frequency of the meals.
Old 06-18-15, 06:12 AM   #12
RAD House

I hate to say it but I think the best thing for you and your uncles snakes are for them to be sold to someone who can properly care for them. One of the most basic and agreed upon pieces of information in this hobby is that you should not feed an animal that is more than 1.5 times wider than the snake at its widest part. You either ignore this information, did not bother to do any research, or just don't care. I can't shake the feeling your are going to kill your snakes with all the issues you are having. I can't understand how you think getting more snakes is a good idea if you have not gotten the hang of the care of the ones you already own? Also you should refrain from giving advice to others until your own situation is fully under control and you have a better understanding of snakes in general.
Old 06-18-15, 06:17 AM   #13
eminart

That's too big.

Just because a snake CAN eat something that large, doesn't mean it should. Snakes in the wild eat whatever they can, because they don't usually get too many opportunities. Getting a huge meal may be risky, but it's better than the alternative of starving to death. In captivity, we can provide optimum conditions and food. No need to take any chances or push the limits.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 06-18-15, 07:34 AM   #14
KyleKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesoCorney View Post
I hate to say it but I think the best thing for you and your uncles snakes are for them to be sold to someone who can properly care for them. One of the most basic and agreed upon pieces of information in this hobby is that you should not feed an animal that is more than 1.5 times wider than the snake at its widest part. You either ignore this information, did not bother to do any research, or just don't care. I can't shake the feeling your are going to kill your snakes with all the issues you are having. I can't understand how you think getting more snakes is a good idea if you have not gotten the hang of the care of the ones you already own? Also you should refrain from giving advice to others until your own situation is fully under control and you have a better understanding of snakes in general.

I do know how to properly care for snakes. I love my snakes, and they get fed well. Sometimes they eat better than I do. So what if this snake ate a jumbo. Hes' already pushing 4 feet. He isn't a baby.
Old 06-18-15, 07:43 AM   #15
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Seeing as how they get over 16 feet....4 feet IS a baby. =/

I stopped counting at 30....
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread