border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-15, 09:38 AM   #1
Sasha2

Are snakes ever really pets?

I was just going over my snakes and thinking about the future and the fact that we are in such a small house now.
I was thinking maybe I should give up my dream of breeding and just keep a few that would be pets.
But really are snakes ever pets. Pets enjoy our company. In all the years of having snakes, well over 20 Ive had boas, pythons and many colubrids, im 50 yrs old and started keeping at 20.
Even the ones that were considered pets and handled often would fuss about coming out of the cage and always happy to go back. With the exception of the boas that always wanted to go upwards instead of in the cage but were the worse about grabbing everything in the cage when it was time to come out.

I currently have 10 snakes, all but one hates to come out. The one cornsnake loves to come out but would take off in an instant if given the chance simply because they feel no attachment.

So are they ever really "pets"????
Login to remove ads
Old 06-14-15, 09:57 AM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Are snakes ever really pets?

I like the way you framed your question. I guess it depends on how you define a pet. If it's an animal that enjoys your company and reciprocates your affection then a snake won't fit that bill. I call my snakes "pets" but I'm really just their caretaker . I still love them and I love keeping them in good health.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 06-14-15, 10:00 AM   #3
RAD House

If you are looking for a connection like one you would have with a dog, then no a snake is not the pet you are looking for. If you are looking for a pet that is a small piece of nature that can enjoy in your own home then I think a snake is a great pet.
Old 06-14-15, 10:06 AM   #4
trailblazer295

With your definition the same could be said about most animals kept in captivity fish, many birds, most rodents. Each animal provides a different feeling or emotion. You could run around in the park in the day with your dog and sit and stare at fish tank in the evening. You could call both pets but they don't give the same experience.
Old 06-14-15, 10:19 AM   #5
prairiepanda

I don't consider mutual affection to be the defining characteristic of a pet. A pet, to me, does need to offer me something in return for my care, but they don't need to return my love. Most of my pets offer great stress relief for me, and often that is all I need from them. The only pet that I keep for the sake of social interaction is my cat. None of the others are social, though most are very interactive.

As for snakes in particular, I think they make fantastic pets! Not in the same way that cats make good pets, though. All my snakes were acquired as babies, and I got to experience the process of taming those flighty, defensive worms down to docile, relaxed pets. That process in itself was very rewarding for me. Now, their good health and consistent growth continue to motivate me to spend my time and energy caring for them. My work is rewarded with seeing how I can affect a life positively. Usually when I take my snakes out for handling it is when they want to come out(when they're poking around their lids), so I don't normally get any resistance when taking them out. I enjoy spending time with them, either watching them explore or just hanging out with them in general. I just love interacting with animals in general, regardless whether they would run away given the chance.

But if that kind of a pet does not appeal to you, there's nothing wrong with that. Perhaps a mammal or bird of some sort would appeal more to you, if you want a pet that will feel attached to you.
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Login to remove ads
Old 06-14-15, 11:24 AM   #6
SnoopySnake

Well said, Prairie. I agree.
Old 06-14-15, 11:34 AM   #7
Albert Clark

I believe they are pets bc I provide living space for them, food , water and any medical care necessary. They are dependent on me and it's my responsibility to keep them safe and sound. These are the things we do for every pet. The other aspect is the principles of conservation and propagation of a species that has been unjustly persecuted since the beginning of time. That is to me, what elevates reptiles above all other classes of pets.
Old 06-14-15, 12:01 PM   #8
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

I consider any animal you choose to take care of is a pet regardless of affection or needs. I don't see 'pet' as a title however. I don't say I have a pet dog or pet cat or a pet snake. I just say 'my dog' or, as far as reptiles go 'my collection'. It may sound a bit more impersonal for yhe reptiles, but I like it like that. Don't get me wrong. I love each gecko and snake that I own, and take good care of them and know each one's personality. I just have a different connection to them than I do ny furry things.

=)

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 06-14-15, 02:08 PM   #9
Wingbeats

I suppose it all depends on how you define a pet! Prairie said it well above.

I have cats to provide me with happy warm fuzzy social interaction. I call them my animal companions, and I love them.

I don't expect my snake to ever give me that same social interaction, but I still feel the warm fuzzies when I hold her, interact with her, feed her, etc. It still feels awesome to provide care for such a lovely animal, even if she does not experience an endorphin rush like I do, haha. And that's fine! I love her to bits regardless. So, she is my other kind of animal companion
Old 06-14-15, 04:46 PM   #10
AlexCrazy

Red face Re: Are snakes ever really pets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiepanda View Post
I don't consider mutual affection to be the defining characteristic of a pet. A pet, to me, does need to offer me something in return for my care, but they don't need to return my love. Most of my pets offer great stress relief for me, and often that is all I need from them. The only pet that I keep for the sake of social interaction is my cat. None of the others are social, though most are very interactive.

As for snakes in particular, I think they make fantastic pets! Not in the same way that cats make good pets, though. All my snakes were acquired as babies, and I got to experience the process of taming those flighty, defensive worms down to docile, relaxed pets. That process in itself was very rewarding for me. Now, their good health and consistent growth continue to motivate me to spend my time and energy caring for them. My work is rewarded with seeing how I can affect a life positively. Usually when I take my snakes out for handling it is when they want to come out(when they're poking around their lids), so I don't normally get any resistance when taking them out. I enjoy spending time with them, either watching them explore or just hanging out with them in general. I just love interacting with animals in general, regardless whether they would run away given the chance.

But if that kind of a pet does not appeal to you, there's nothing wrong with that. Perhaps a mammal or bird of some sort would appeal more to you, if you want a pet that will feel attached to you.
I had tarantulas.. fish.. and lizards.. they never gave me afection.. i love there beauty and the complexity of life they emit... even my hamster dosent give me love cos he is nocturnal.. he enjoys the freedom i give him wen i take him out.. i enjoy.. watching him be (watching them all be). I also love my 3 dogs.. they play with me.. but.. even doo the others or my future snake don't give affection.. i love them just as much.. and i also feel just as bad wen they perish as i would with dose that do give their love. to me pet is an animal you keep that makes you happy.. and devote your self too.. not so much a matter of.. does he love me or not
Login to remove ads
Old 06-14-15, 05:40 PM   #11
CosmicOwl

Are animals at the zoo the pets of the people who curate them? I guess that is the way I feel about my snakes. I get a lot of joy from them and I'm very attached to them, but I don't think I consider them pets. For instance, if I had to sell off all of my snakes to keep my dogs, I would. As long as my snakes were taken care of, they wouldn't care who they were with. On the other hand, it would feel like a betrayal(to me) to give up my dogs.
Old 06-14-15, 05:59 PM   #12
Mikoh4792

I would put snakes in the same category as fish. They are pets because they are an animal you keep for pleasure but you don't bond with them as you do with dogs, cats, or birds.
Old 06-14-15, 08:10 PM   #13
sirtalis

I think it's dependent on the keeper. I keep my reptiles in display enclosures, never handle them, the only interaction I get is when I feed them, and that's only me putting their meal into the cage. However, I know many people keep their reptiles in a way that I would keep a dog. They hand feed it, they pet it, they hold it, they would call it a pet, and I see nothing wrong with that. To me, I enjoy my reptiles like a rare piece of art work, look but don't touch, they'll never be a pet to me, but they are pets to other people. (I hope someone understands what I'm saying )
Old 06-15-15, 03:44 AM   #14
bigsnakegirl785

For me, a pet does not need to give me something in return. A pet, for me, is an animal that I feel attached to and care for. If the animal served a purpose and did something for me (such as herding, mousing, and solely stress relief), it's not a pet in my eyes but a working animal. Although my snakes can offer stress relief, it's not the main reason I have them or even the main reason I enjoy them. So yes, by my definition snakes are pets.

I have bonded more and care more for my snakes than any dog or cat. I'd give up a dog or cat before I'd give up my snakes. (Just to clarify the bonding is purely my feelings for them, not a mutual thing.)
Old 06-15-15, 06:10 AM   #15
eminart

I think it's just semantics. I call any animal I keep for my own enjoyment a "pet", although I probably rarely use that word. It doesn't matter if they're domesticated, or if they enjoy my company. It's just a word to describe the animals at my house. The only animals I keep that I don't refer to as "pets" are my falconry birds. They're used more as tools for hunting. But the main reason I don't call them pets is to discourage the constant stream of people who want to get into falconry because they think it would be cool to have a "pet" hawk.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Last edited by eminart; 06-15-15 at 06:16 AM..
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread