border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Breeding / Incubation

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-15, 06:13 PM   #1
sSAIRSCHUTTSs

Talking Male/Female Python Housing Together

Hey all!
I have two male pythons, one royal python that I rescued (& Im pretty sure he is blind due to the horrendous environment he had to live in, but thats another story.) and my bumblebee morph royal python. Ive had the first male for three years now, and i just got my bumblebee last year.
However just recently I got a fancy female, who was rescued by the previous owner, and she was being housed with his male. Now, shes about two years old and my oldest male is probably 6 or 7 since he was full grown when I got him and has stayed the same length.
Since she was housed with the other male, i took her in and kept her in her tank alone for the first three weeks, then i introduced her to our oldest male.
They have been in the same enclosure for two days now, and seem inseparable. Hes always right there beside her. I read online that the female has to be at least 4? Before breeding? But other forums people were trying to breed 2 yr olds.
Is it possible that they will become a mating pair? Im happy for him having a friend because hes blind and it sometimes makes him skittish.
Other forums said that the male lays with them as a form of dominance though, and the snakes aren't actually enjoying themselves? Does this apply for male/female housing? & she is already used to having company so maybe its good for her??
I still have her own enclosure in case they should be separated, and I have been keeping a close eye on them.

Just looking for pointers here!

Input is appreciated if its helpful!!
If you dont have anything nice to say.. keep scrolling.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-18-15, 04:25 PM   #2
SnoopySnake

Re: Male/Female Python Housing Together

They should be separated.
Old 05-18-15, 04:44 PM   #3
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Huh....interesting situation. I've heard Blind animals do benefit from companionship...but I don't know about snakes. Either way, unless breeding, males and females shouldn't be kept together.

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 05-18-15, 06:28 PM   #4
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

They should be separated. Even while breeding they're together 3 days and apart three days. If she isn't receptive to breeding he's going to keep trying. That's what he's probably doing.

I have no respect for those who try and breed immature females. It's dirty dealing.

Oh and "fancy" isn't a thing. What you likely have is a pastel. Petsmart lists them as "fancy" because they don't know their backside from a hole in the ground.
Old 05-18-15, 07:02 PM   #5
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_bug87 View Post
They should be separated. Even while breeding they're together 3 days and apart three days. If she isn't receptive to breeding he's going to keep trying. That's what he's probably doing.

Oh and "fancy" isn't a thing. What you likely have is a pastel. Petsmart lists them as "fancy" because they don't know their backside from a hole in the ground.

I'm a little too 'politically correct' to say it like you did...but Yes...SO MUCH YES!

The geckos (cresties and leos) are either 'normal' or 'fancy' and some of their 'fancy' are simple hypos/flames or can go as 'high end' as blazing blizards and super harlies. But they never know what they have. Same goes for their snakes. 'Fancy' corn snakes and such.

bottom line, snakes need to be separated.

Login to remove ads
Old 05-18-15, 07:06 PM   #6
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
I'm a little too 'politically correct' to say it like you did...but Yes...SO MUCH YES!

The geckos (cresties and leos) are either 'normal' or 'fancy' and some of their 'fancy' are simple hypos/flames or can go as 'high end' as blazing blizards and super harlies. But they never know what they have. Same goes for their snakes. 'Fancy' corn snakes and such.

bottom line, snakes need to be separated.
It's ok to admit I'm quickly becoming your favorite poster...
Old 05-18-15, 08:43 PM   #7
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Lol. I have mixed feelings because of your bluntness, but I can admit that I generally agree with what you say XD

Old 05-18-15, 10:23 PM   #8
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
Lol. I have mixed feelings because of your bluntness, but I can admit that I generally agree with what you say XD
minor details. ..
Old 05-19-15, 07:21 AM   #9
Albert Clark

Separate them if you want to do what is acceptable. In the wild they only come together to breed and they are solitary animals by far. Females should not be bred until they have gone through their third winter or are 3 years old. If the previous owner housed the female with a male she may already be gravid and you may get a clutch of eggs soon. I would buy or make a incubator and be somewhat prepared for the event. Ball python males only need to be with a female for two to three days out of a month for a couple of months to actually become gravid if she is producing follicles and they are the right size. Good luck. Actually housing a female with a male will stimulate her to produce follicles and then at 2 years of age she certainly is capable.

Last edited by Albert Clark; 05-19-15 at 07:26 AM..
Old 05-19-15, 08:22 AM   #10
yeloowtang

I will also say separate them, and I will add to what Albert said about the 3 years old.
the female should be at a minimum 1500g - 2000g before breeding.. can/could she breed smaller than that ?? yep most probably but is it advisable ?? nope not at all
and don't think that power feeding them 2-3 times a week to get them fat will work.

they need to be both mature and of proper size..

what i find puzzling lately is the amount of people posting about keeping them together, not just here but on other forums.. seems like a new trend going, i've seen big pet store do this !!!! I wonder if they are pushing this on costomers now ??
Old 05-19-15, 10:44 AM   #11
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloowtang View Post
what i find puzzling lately is the amount of people posting about keeping them together, not just here but on other forums.. seems like a new trend going, i've seen big pet store do this !!!! I wonder if they are pushing this on costomers now ??
The petco near me usually doesn't keep snakes other than baby corns together. But the other day, I saw like 4 or 5 SMALL BPs together. Not sure if age matters or not though.

Old 05-19-15, 10:46 AM   #12
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Quote:
I will also say separate them, and I will add to what Albert said about the 3 years old.
the female should be at a minimum 1500g - 2000g before breeding.. can/could she breed smaller than that ?? yep most probably but is it advisable ?? nope not at all
and don't think that power feeding them 2-3 times a week to get them fat will work.

That's because people are losing their damn minds
Old 05-19-15, 05:13 PM   #13
trailblazer295

I wonder if the multi snake in a cage is partly because of reptile expos. I've only been to 2 and both times you'll see juvie BPs in the same small box. Now I know it's a space issues and having the most animals present and limited space and caging. But anyone else who didn't know could see 2 snakes crawling over each other without fighting etc and appearing as calm as the rest could think well that must be okay.
Old 05-19-15, 05:19 PM   #14
trailblazer295

Quote:

Having kept fish for over a decade the over all animal knowledge when it comes to non cats and dogs in pet stores is basically nothing. They will lie to make a sale, answer any question they don't know with "ya that will be fine", the gem "they only grow to the size of their environment" (the body stops but the insides don't) and goldfish one that they are short lived fish when in reality they can live over 25yrs when cared for properly, a common goldfish can reach 12"+. Most people that work in chain stores might like dogs and cats or other fuzzy things and want a job there but get put in the fish or reptile department. People buying a baby fish that can grow 2ft to put in there 10g aquarium etc. There are exceptions of having a knowledgeable person working in chain stores who will steer customers in the right direction but the vast majority are worthless for help.
Old 05-20-15, 07:38 AM   #15
sSAIRSCHUTTSs

Alrighty they've been separated!
Thanks All!
&& I know petstores dont know what "fancy" means, but I didnt get mine at a petstore. I just assumed when using that term it was to make a regular ball python sound fancy. hehe

Ill post some pics later and you lot can help me determine what they really are.

My female has a more yellow tinge to her markings than the male so im sure they are different.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
ballpython, female, housing, male, python