sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-15, 09:14 AM   #1
alpha

Snake Identification : Istanbul Turkey

Hello all,

I am new to this place and hope to find useful information here.

Can someone please help me identify this snake ? I saw it in Istanbul Turkey.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5553.jpg (24.7 KB, 92 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 05-06-15, 10:02 AM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Snake Identification : Istanbul Turkey

No clue. It's too far to really tell. The head LOOKS like a viper of sorts but it's so difficult to tell that I'm just making a random guess.
Old 05-08-15, 06:13 AM   #3
alpha

i could not get a better picture as it just stopped for a little while and then ran away ...
Old 05-08-15, 06:26 AM   #4
alpha

Here is a zoomed in picture , hope it helps ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snake.jpg (31.1 KB, 88 views)
Old 05-08-15, 05:20 PM   #5
Albert Clark

Definitely a viper! What locale were you in?
Login to remove ads
Old 05-08-15, 05:48 PM   #6
CrotalusR#1

Defiantly not a viper, the vipers in turkey are all pretty distinguishable from the non venomous. Looks like some sort of whip snake.
Old 05-08-15, 06:42 PM   #7
FWK

Hello alpha! That's an interesting critter you've got there, I'm really not sure what it is but I do have some ideas. It doesn't look quite right to be a Viper to me either (the tail looks rather long and thin, the body to lean and the head is just weird lol) but I'm not willing to rule a Viper out just yet, you seem to be within the range of Macrovipera sp. and the picture is fuzzy enough that a specimen with a muted pattern could slip by. My initial thought was either the very common Dice Snake (Natrix tessellata) or, as CrotalusR#1 suggests, a Whip (possibly Hemorrhois nummifer?). If you could give us a bit more detail about the snake and where exactly it was found I'll look at it more in depth in a couple hours when I have more time. Would you describe as having smooth scales or rough (keeled)? Is the pupil round or elliptical like a cats eye? An elliptical eye does not necessarily mean it is a Viper. Roughly who long is it? What sort of habitat was it found near? Grassy fields, water, bushes, etc. Also, if it is possible, uploading the picture to a photo hosting site and linking it could help big time, this forum compresses photos far more than a photo hosting site will.

Last edited by FWK; 05-08-15 at 06:51 PM..
Old 05-08-15, 09:07 PM   #8
CrotalusR#1

If you take a look at the eyes in the pic you can tell there almost protruding out exactly like a garter snake dose, kinda hard to explain but any one here who has kept them will know exactly what I'm taking about and that is NOT somthing the native vipers share. That and along with what FWK said, very long tail, which is why I was thinking whiptail..
Old 05-09-15, 07:01 AM   #9
PatrickT

You guys crack me up. Its natrix tesselata we also have them in germany but they are rare. Totally harmless. They live close to water, eats mostly fish and frogs. You guys need more knowledge about european snakes. Its totally harmless.
Old 05-09-15, 07:30 AM   #10
SnoopySnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickT View Post
You guys crack me up. Its natrix tesselata we also have them in germany but they are rare. Totally harmless. They live close to water, eats mostly fish and frogs. You guys need more knowledge about european snakes. Its totally harmless.
We need more knowledge about European snakes? Seriously? How much do you know about North American snakes?

I don't know what it is, and I'm not gonna take a guess without better pictures.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-09-15, 08:40 AM   #11
PatrickT

Its natrix tesselata. The eyes, head shape and coloration is a 100% hit.

The only other species that looks like this would be the closely Natrix maura. But Natrix maura lives in western europe. Both, Maura and tesselata live in germany, but are very rare. Tesselata is very common in greece, the entire balkan region and the istanbul region.
Old 05-09-15, 08:42 AM   #12
PatrickT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopySnake View Post
We need more knowledge about European snakes? Seriously? How much do you know about North American snakes?

I don't know what it is, and I'm not gonna take a guess without better pictures.
I think i´m pretty good in north american snake species as well. I can distinguish crotallus, copperheads, thamnophis, coluber, pantherophis, lampropheltis and coral snakes pretty good.
Old 05-09-15, 09:26 AM   #13
pet_snake_78

It's a king cobra
Old 05-09-15, 10:05 AM   #14
FWK

I agree with you PatrickT, Natrix tessellata was my initial thought as well. But I have zero hands on experience with this species and if I'm not completely confident in my ID I'll say so. Given the low quality of the photo and my lack of familiarity with European species I was not confident. I also agree I need to learn more about European species, and I'm working on that. You have piqued my curiosity, if you'd care to demonstrate just how superior your ability to ID North American species is over my ability to ID European species I have some pictures for you to consider.
Old 05-09-15, 10:13 AM   #15
PatrickT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWK View Post
I agree with you PatrickT, Natrix tessellata was my initial thought as well. But I have zero hands on experience with this species and if I'm not completely confident in my ID I'll say so. Given the low quality of the photo and my lack of familiarity with European species I was not confident. I also agree I need to learn more about European species, and I'm working on that. You have piqued my curiosity, if you'd care to demonstrate just how superior your ability to ID North American species is over my ability to ID European species I have some pictures for you to consider.
Ok i accept the challenge.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
identification, istanbul, snake, turkey