border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-15, 10:51 PM   #1
Praireboyfarmer

Are Jungle Carpet Pythons large enough to injure a human?

I knew an old lady who owned a large (almost 6 foot long) Jungle Carpet Python and ever since then that has been my goal... to own one. She had that snake to the point it was as friendly as dog (That silly snake would actively follow her around her place)

But is their size and stature large enough that you would need two people to handle them? Are they capable of constricting/injuring a grown man? I know a lot of people of whom that was their first snake.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-01-15, 11:11 PM   #2
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Re: Are Jungle Carpet Pythons large enough to injure a human?

Most jungles top out around 6ft. They're right at the limit of where you would want a second person. If you start with a baby and work with it until it reaches it's adult size you should be ok. It is large enough that it could injure a grown man, however if you're careful you can minimize that risk. They can (and oftentimes do) make great pets.
Old 05-01-15, 11:16 PM   #3
MDT

so...classically speaking, prob not....but, in all honesty, even a small constrictor (think milk or king) could potentially cause injury if for instance, they were wrapped around your neck and decided to constrict. i know some will take issue with this, but, if enough pressure is applied to the carotid sinus (a baroreceptor on the carotid artery), then you could not only merely "pass out", but it can also cause fatal cardiac events. it does't have to be a burm or retic to do this....

so, do you need two people? prob not. could they hurt you if you don't respect and handle appropriately? yes....

just be cool with them and don't drape around your neck.
Old 05-02-15, 10:42 AM   #4
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

It only takes 4 pounds of pressure to stop the blood flow to the brain or cut off the windpipe. Just some food for thought.

Also....most snakes can injur as they have teeth and can break the skin. This would be minor of course, but it's still an injury.

Now, if you're asking about 'serious' injury or death, I'd say you're fine.

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 05-02-15, 02:40 PM   #5
mistersprinkles

I never let any snake around my neck when I had snakes. As long as you don't do that, you're usually ok.

Jungle carpets are not large snakes. If you keep them away from your neck the worst thing that can happen is a bite, which would be pretty minor given the size of the snake.

If the snake did bite you there would be more danger to the snake (if it got hooked on your skin, broke a tooth, etc) than there would be danger to the human.

Personally, I only feel like venomous snakes, and constrictors over 6-7 feet long are really dangerous to humans. And, IMO, constrictors don't get truly "bring a friend when you handle the animal" dangerous until about 10 feet or so.

I think that anybody who handles a 20 foot retic with no "buddy system" is insane, personally.

But no, jungles are small and inoffensive. You can hurt him a lot more than he can hurt you. Keep the snake off your neck.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread