sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-14, 10:14 AM   #1
reptiletalk

Dumeril's Boa

Hey guys,

I am thinking of making my next step in my collection. I got bored of my ball python to be honest (very picky when it comes to food). It's been 4 months she eats every 3-4 weeks a medium-large rat. She is now approx 1.3 m and around 1400gr. I read in many websites that sometimes they reduce their food when they reach specific sizes.

My red tail boa on the other is a trash can. One medium-rat per week non stop. She is almost 1 years old, 1.3m and 1500gr (maybe little more) .

My idea was to sell the ball python with the first chance and get a dumeril's boa. Anyone has experience with this species ? I love their markings-coloration. My terrarium is more than enough for a female one.

0.1 BCC Suriname
Login to remove ads
Old 12-02-14, 10:28 AM   #2
bigsnakegirl785

Re: Dumeril's Boa

You could try offering to your ball python sporadically, I've heard that works for some people. If your boa constrictor is ~1 year old, I'd say she's just about ready to step down to every 10-14 days. She's a bit large her age, so it definitely won't hurt her. Unfortunately I have nothing to offer concerning a Dumeril's as I've never owned one, but they seem like a good choice.
Old 12-02-14, 11:29 AM   #3
UserNameIsValid

A local pet shop by me has a Dumeril just a little under a year old. He's awesome. So docile and sweet. The lady who owns the shop, he son runs the reptile room and handles every single reptile there.
Old 12-04-14, 02:47 PM   #4
Snakesitter

I wouldn't ditch your ball. They can be fussy, but are good pets...and there is a chance a "quantity" breeder will scoop her up and use her for nothing but an egg factory. :-(

The best feeding tip I ever heard for balls was to change their viv (or clean out the old one to change the scent) when they went off feed...vastly increased feeding response.

However, as the poster above said, I'd offer meals less frequent to avoid obesity.

Good luck!
Website, Facebook
Old 12-04-14, 03:08 PM   #5
reptiletalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
I wouldn't ditch your ball. They can be fussy, but are good pets...and there is a chance a "quantity" breeder will scoop her up and use her for nothing but an egg factory. :-(

The best feeding tip I ever heard for balls was to change their viv (or clean out the old one to change the scent) when they went off feed...vastly increased feeding response.

However, as the poster above said, I'd offer meals less frequent to avoid obesity.

Good luck!
To tell you the truth in my country (Cyprus) the number of people that breed snakes is around the number of your fingers . Most of the people keep snakes as single pets. If someone is interested i might consider pass her over...After i got the boa i understood the size of snakes that like more is 2.5 - 3 meters.....Best case scenario ball stays ( she is a lovely snake dont get my wrong) and a dumerils also comes along....

0.1 BCC Suriname
Login to remove ads
Old 12-04-14, 04:13 PM   #6
marvelfreak
Captain America

Get the Dumeril they are awesome, mellow, and very active.
Old 12-05-14, 03:16 PM   #7
Snakesitter

Ah, in that case, do whatever works best for you, and good luck!
Website, Facebook
Old 12-11-14, 06:53 AM   #8
R19Ses

Send a message via ICQ to R19Ses Send a message via Yahoo to R19Ses Send a message via Skype™ to R19Ses
Dumeril

General Consensus is that a cross between a Live Bearer and an Egg Layer will not work.
However, I do know of species of which you get females that give live birth and another female of the exact same species which will lay eggs.
This leads me to think that the Python/Boa cross could work.
Old 12-12-14, 03:57 AM   #9
reptiletalk

Re: Dumeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by R19Ses View Post
General Consensus is that a cross between a Live Bearer and an Egg Layer will not work.
However, I do know of species of which you get females that give live birth and another female of the exact same species which will lay eggs.
This leads me to think that the Python/Boa cross could work.
Hey, what are you talking about?

0.1 BCC Suriname
Old 12-12-14, 07:28 AM   #10
TurboChris

Go for it dumerils are awesome! I know your feeling when they don't eat it can be very frustrating as my corn goes off food for a month every winter. But no fears with the dumerils as she is an eating machine and never refuses a meal, she had the shed starting to peel on her head during the last feeding and still ate right before shedding lol!
mine just turned a year old about a month ago and is about 1300 grams currently.
Good luck and I think they are a fantastic choice, and get a female so it will be bigger!
To help motivate you even further haha!
Login to remove ads
Old 12-12-14, 09:13 AM   #11
reptiletalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboChris View Post
Go for it dumerils are awesome! I know your feeling when they don't eat it can be very frustrating as my corn goes off food for a month every winter. But no fears with the dumerils as she is an eating machine and never refuses a meal, she had the shed starting to peel on her head during the last feeding and still ate right before shedding lol!
mine just turned a year old about a month ago and is about 1300 grams currently.
Good luck and I think they are a fantastic choice, and get a female so it will be bigger!
To help motivate you even further haha!
Thanks for the tip.

0.1 BCC Suriname
Old 12-12-14, 05:39 PM   #12
metalcopper

I did the same thing you are wanting to do; my friend was interested in getting his first snake, so I sold him my Ball python, and then I bought a Dumeril's. She's a great snake, still a baby, but I really like her. She's calm, never bites, but is a little nervous at times.
Old 12-16-14, 06:02 PM   #13
Dan84

TurboChris,

Sorry to hijack, but are you sure your dumerils is only a year old. I have one as well that I bought at 3 months at 145g and is now a year old, 500g and 3ft. I have been trying to find growth data but there is not much out there. I feed approximately 12% body weight every 10 days. She is now on small rats.

To the OP, get a dumerils, they really are quite laid back for a snake. Mine will not even strike at me nor at food. I have to leave food in the tank and walk away.
Old 12-17-14, 03:55 PM   #14
TurboChris

From what I was told by the breeder she was about 1-2 months when I got her and I got her in January so I estimate her as a thanksgiving baby :-)
She was about 120 grams when I got her beginning/mid January of this year if I remember correctly on the weight.
They told me she was taking rat pups so that is what I started on and has been on a 7 day feeding schedule since. Although I am now backing it down to 10 days as well. She never has refused a meal and will eat even in shed.
Did you just switch yours over to the small rats? My girl has been on them for a little while now and I definitely have noticed a huge increase in her growth since.
Old 12-17-14, 08:30 PM   #15
Dan84

I just switched to small rats for the last three feedings. Mine has only refused once when she was just about to shed, but she has eaten during shed before. I'll look forward to the growth spurt coming soon.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
ball, boa, dumeril, python