border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-14, 04:17 PM   #1
Alexy

Unhappy Having Issues with humidity

I got my first BP a few months ago which has been the best experience ever, but has also ended up being a nightmare because SOMETHING always has to happen to one thing or another.

Basically, I need a new item to keep the humidity up in his tank.

The humidity item I use now is the ReptiRain timed sprayer, and I really hate it. It often skips or delays the time it's suppose to spray, dies for days at a time when it gets wet inside, and I believe it's causing my light bulbs on my snakes tank to go out cause the water may be hitting the bulbs, or it simply gets humid inside the bulbs and dies. I've gone through about 5 bulbs in the past month and a half already. I've tried moving the bulbs as far away from the sprayer as I can, but it still hits them and the sprayer can't be aimed downward.

I'm not a builder of any kind or have any useful skills to completely come up with something on my own so my only option is to buy a different timed sprayer, I just don't know what is reliable and where I can buy one. Our two petstores have nothing useful for reptiles either.

I also can't use a house humidifier for the whole room since it's a living room and always has people in it, windows open, etc and just really wouldn't work out.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-29-14, 01:02 AM   #2
toddnbecka

Re: Having Issues with humidity

I place a bowl or plastic container of saturated long-fiber sphagnum moss in my enclosures to raise humidity. Wet them down again every couple days when I change the water bowls. I'm currently using aquariums with screen tops, and I cut foam board to fit the openings to cover most of the tops to help keep humidity in. UTH heat pad on one end of the tanks, ceramic heat bulb on the other to maintain overall temp and create a basking spot.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 11-29-14, 01:48 PM   #3
mrgrimm

More details on your enclosure would help - but assuming you are using a screen top, it can be a bit challenging. Like toddnbecka said, small tupperwares with holes drilled in them and wet sponge/paper towel, etc. inside the enclosure on each end will help.

A large surface area water dish helps, and also allows for the snake to soak if they want to.

I leave about 8" open each side of my screen top, with a damp towel covering the rest of the middle. On top of that are wood tops I made with waterproofing on the bottom (prevents mold from setting in) that I set the weights on to prevent escape.

I also use several pieces of wood and sticks in the enclosure that I spray down when I mist several times a day, they kind of help hold moisture in it seems.

I have gotten away from using a heat bulb, they just draw out the humidity like crazy. I do have a red one though that I turn on here and there but it is suspended about 8 in. from the top of the tank. I prefer to use an under tank heating pad.

Have you thought about putting the setup in a small room so you can control the ambient a little better? Since I have moved my tank into my room I keep a small thermostat controlled space heater and a humidifier in there and it help A LOT.

I also have 2 little kids, a cat and 2 dogs running like crazy through the house so I think the snake appreciates the peace and quiet he gets now lol.
Old 11-30-14, 12:45 PM   #4
CosmicOwl

Heat bulbs aren't great for BPs. They cause convection which dries out the cage, particularly if you're using a screen top cage. You'd be better off with a heat pad(controlled by a thermostat) and covering the screen with aluminum foil to conserve humidity. Large waterbowls and humid hides are good ideas, but try using a substrate that holds moisture without molding, like paper towels, eco earth, repti-bark(though it's really expensive) and so forth.
Closed Thread

Tags
humidity