border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-14, 07:46 AM   #1
NewSAHSnakeMom

Blaze is out of hiding

My Sinaloan, Blaze has spent 99% of time we've had it under the substrate, now that I've installed a thermostat and somewhat lowered under tank heat he's been above it. Or maybe he's just comfortable with his new home now? Either way my girls are happy they can see their pet today! [IMG][/IMG]
Login to remove ads
Old 07-28-14, 07:57 AM   #2
pdomensis

Re: Blaze is out of hiding

Good stuff. Nice lookin snake.
Old 07-28-14, 08:08 AM   #3
NewSAHSnakeMom

Thank you! I'm still new and nervous but I've raised two kids so one snake shouldn't be hard. especially since I'm not the one who does the hard stuff. I'm the research and supervisor, my husband does the hands on stuff. I joined this forum for tips seeing as most of my friends and family only know how to run away from snakes! Lol
Old 07-28-14, 08:31 AM   #4
sharthun

Awesome! Beautiful snake!

Steve
Old 07-28-14, 10:38 AM   #5
NewSAHSnakeMom

Is there anyway to tell how old my snake is? The pet store didn't know. They didn't know much lol. It is unsexed, which will stay that way because I wouldn't want anything shoved up my butt just so others knew what pronoun to use in reference to me. As of right now we have no plans to breed so that would the only reason to sex it, just to know. That feels wrong to me. If I could find out without probing it that would be different but until they figure out another way Blaze will remain a mystery!
Login to remove ads
Old 07-28-14, 10:48 AM   #6
SnoopySnake

There's really no way to tell how old the snake is. If you give length and weight of the snake, someone could make a guess, but that's all it would be, is a guess. If the snake wasn't fed enough then it will be smaller than it should be for its actual age and seem younger. The other way to sex a snake is by popping them, and that should only be done by someone experienced as it can seriously hurt the snake if its not done right. If you ever have to take the snake to a vet, you may be able to find out then.
Old 07-28-14, 11:12 AM   #7
pdomensis

I think the best anyone could do is guess whether it's an adult or juvenile based on size at this point. But like gender, it shouldn't matter much as long as you take good care of it.
Old 07-28-14, 01:28 PM   #8
NewSAHSnakeMom

Thank you both. I will just be happy taking care of Blaze from now on trying to figure out age is just making angry at the pet store. The more I learn about my snake the madder I get! I knew not to try popping it, that needs to be done by a vet. I'm just going to love my snake from afar and my my husband and kids do the up close Lovin! When & if he gets too big for his enclosure we will give him a new one. Blaze's past will have to remain a mystery.
Old 07-29-14, 08:21 AM   #9
NewSAHSnakeMom

Blaze moved up to fuzzies last night! [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-29-14, 08:41 AM   #10
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Congrats on the successful feed and nice job making it a family affair .
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 07-29-14, 09:06 AM   #11
NewSAHSnakeMom

It's her snake, feeding is part of it. But actually we tried talking her big sister into feeding the snake. Lily chickened out but the 5 yr old was all about doing it! Lmao! Now there's teasing rights!
Old 07-29-14, 09:27 AM   #12
sharthun

Cool, the prey size looks just right! Congrats!

Steve
Old 07-29-14, 09:38 AM   #13
NewSAHSnakeMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharthun View Post
Cool, the prey size looks just right! Congrats!
OK thanks I was worried it was a little on the big side, he hesitated at first it being his first fuzzy. But got it down, then ate a second one too! The second was a touch smaller though. This feed definitely took longer but I expected that with bigger prey and an audience. Can mice be refrozen if uneaten?
Old 07-29-14, 10:27 AM   #14
sharthun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSAHSnakeMom View Post
OK thanks I was worried it was a little on the big side, he hesitated at first it being his first fuzzy. But got it down, then ate a second one too! The second was a touch smaller though. This feed definitely took longer but I expected that with bigger prey and an audience. Can mice be refrozen if uneaten?
I refreeze mine just one time if uneaten and offer at another time. Also, most of us feed inside the enclosure. Much easier on you and the snake.

Steve
Old 07-29-14, 10:53 AM   #15
NewSAHSnakeMom

See that's where I get different info from different people all the time. I was told never to feed him in the enclosure, to feed him in a seperate one. We use a light tub so when we are done he can slither back in since we have a side open enclosure. He seems happy with the arrangement so I think I'll keep it that way for now. Plus with the girls "helping" its easier than having their hands in the cage. We don't have to pick him up to move him back in. We just put the tub up to the doors and he goes back in. But if it gets tricky or he has issues we will feed him in his enclosure. Not trying to be rude, I've read the research on both and from what I've read its really a matter of opinion. Some claim its about not getting substrate digested (yada yada) and what not. My theory is its a lot like raising kids, everyone does it different. Do what works for you and as long as everyone is happy and healthy that's all that matters. (Sorry if this sounds cranky I just got yelled at by my mother for letting my daughter feed her snake!)
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread