Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-14, 05:45 AM   #1
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783
Unhappy Help!!! Snake tattoo gone wrong

So,

I love tattoos, but I'm very particular about where I'll have them on myself and the precision of them. I have been debating getting a second tattoo for about 2 years now, and finally settled on a concept- a brain with snakes integrated into the folds of the cortex (as if the brain was made of snakes). I wanted to go to my good friend's artist, because he loves and keeps snakes, and I've seen his work on multiple people and it was stellar. I went with her to the shop, met him, pitched my idea and all seemed good.

Then he was really slow working up the design and I asked for a number of changes. We got it worked out to where I loved the sketch- a big viper busting out of the top, and simpler snakes within the brain, with tails coming down to form the brainstem. I had my fiance finalize stencil placement and size, since it's on my shoulder blade and I couldn't see behind me that well.

The first sitting was to be outline and scales on the viper. Second sitting was to be shading and detail. Well, the actual tattoo is time and a half the size of the stencil that went onto me, there are twice the number of small snake heads and half are misshapen. He colored in the eyes on the small snakes solid black (they weren't in the sketch) and put scales on them. The big viper up top looks good, but his eye blends too well with the scales and the heat pit is dark black so the eye is drawn there. It's still healing, but I'm freaking out because it's not right. I'm hoping another artist can fix it, but I'm not a tattoo expert so I don't know. I certainly don't think I can trust this guy to finish it.
I'm furious because I've seen such amazing work on my friends and it's like he just half-assed this on me!!

Attached are photos of the night it was done (last Friday) and one taken Wednesday night.

Any advice on how to handle this and what options I might have would be appreciated. I know nothing can be done about the size; I don't mind the size. I mind the jacked up small heads with giant empty black eyes. If the eyes can be highlighted or shaded so that they fit the heads better or something, and some of the heads have no visible bottom jaw because they were oriented differently in the sketch. ....

I've been sobbing for days and can't sleep. I know it's not all healed yet, but it's still killing me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140627_210556.jpg (24.8 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg 20140702_213606.jpg (23.9 KB, 282 views)
Old 07-05-14, 06:46 AM   #2
marvelfreak
Captain America

Re: Help!!! Snake tattoo gone wrong

The problem is it to small for what all he trying to put in it. So it limits what he can do to make it look good. Sometimes less is more.

I do like the whole snakes on the brain concept.

I do have a question this it going to have color add to it?
Old 07-05-14, 08:08 AM   #3
dshin963

My advice is look around for some artists who have done a lot of work with tattooing snakes and show them it see what they think.. Just go around and ask a bunch of artist and when you feel comfortable with one work it out from there
Old 07-05-14, 09:27 AM   #4
jpsteele80

You may end up having to do a cover up on that and get it redone
Old 07-05-14, 09:42 AM   #5
Will0W783

I hope I don't have to get a full cover-up. It's already so big; I cannot have anything bigger than that on me. I guess I'll start shopping around for other artists to see who can do what. I was going to have it black and grey, but it might need color now to lighten it up/highlight areas. I'm so mad.

Do you guys think it's awful?
Old 07-05-14, 09:52 AM   #6
marvelfreak
Captain America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0W783 View Post
I hope I don't have to get a full cover-up. It's already so big; I cannot have anything bigger than that on me. I guess I'll start shopping around for other artists to see who can do what. I was going to have it black and grey, but it might need color now to lighten it up/highlight areas. I'm so mad.

Do you guys think it's awful?
Truthfully it sucks but if you are having color added to it, it might still come out looking really good. I have seen a few tats that looks iffy after the outline. Then once the color was added they looked really nice. Color would help draws the eye away from small mistakes in the outline. But with as poorly as the outline looks i would with out a doubt fine another artist to finish it.
Old 07-05-14, 10:52 AM   #7
aaron_cg

Just showed this to a good friend of mine who has been tattooing professionally for about 12 years.

He said to find a "tattoo artist" who has been doing it for at least 10 years, and get it colored. Ask for references, and request a portfolio of his/her work. And don't be afraid to skimp. Remember, it is what will be on you forever.

That is his advice. I hope you are able to get it fixed. Love the concept!
Old 07-05-14, 11:19 AM   #8
Will0W783

Thank you. The really aggravating part is the guy who did this has been tattooing for 20 years and has won tons of awards. How he could have just done this to me is....I don't even have words. I loved the design and sketch and all....

I hope I can find someone who can fix it.
Old 07-05-14, 11:29 AM   #9
aaron_cg

What type of work does he do? Some people just specialize in different areas. For example, Mike (my buddy) does real good with the "old school" styles, which is why he did my cross on my back. I am currently shopping around because I want a Snake going down my arm, and that's something he couldn't do.
Old 07-05-14, 02:43 PM   #10
Will0W783

This guy specializes in black and Grey and realistic stuff. I should have shopped around more, but he is close with my friends and everyone around that I mentioned his name to told me I couldn't go wrong with him. I should have walked away when he was so slow drawing something up. I think it's salvageable. ...There are parts I really like; but the eyes being screwed up like that, and the uneven outline.....that's not excusable for ANY artist who's been tattooing for more than two decades with tons of awards.
Old 07-05-14, 02:57 PM   #11
dshin963

Keep an eye on what the artists mood and temperament is the day of the tattoo... Some people just have really off or cruddy days... Which in the end would affect their outcome..
Old 07-05-14, 03:31 PM   #12
Will0W783

Hmmmm. I hadn't thought of that. His dog had been sick so he'd had to rush home right before my appointment. :-(
Old 07-05-14, 06:27 PM   #13
dshin963

Yeaa a little over a month ago my artist seemed a little preoccupied while he was doing my sleeve, he ended up missing a couple spots and was moving a little slow. After when it came time to pay he docked two hours off of the 5 hour session because he felt that was what was fair... But still something I will look out for with future artists..
Old 07-05-14, 06:30 PM   #14
dshin963

Just be glad you caught it early! There are some incredible things artists can do! I dunno if it's possible but maybe he can add white to the eyes then another colour over that... Sort of like a primer.
Old 07-05-14, 07:28 PM   #15
Will0W783

Dan,

I'm pretty sure it'll be possible to highlight with white. It's just most likely going to take several sessions to lighten it and I think I might need to have it color now to blend it and lighten it. I had really wanted a nice greyscale piece. Oh well. There's nothing I can do about it now except hope the line work looks better once the scabs come off and discuss fixing it or going elsewhere.
Closed Thread