border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-14, 03:19 PM   #1
Cmwells90

Retaining heat questions

So I'm using an Exo Terra Large Heat Wave Heat Pad to heat the enclosure for my BCC. I'm having no problems getting the heat in her warm hide (I'm also using a thermometer and a thermostat). But I would like to increase the ambient temperature, it seems that the heating pad is really only heating the substrate directly above it, and not the rest of the cage. Any advice to increase the general temp of the cage? I am using a glass 20 gal tank, and I know most of the issue is because the tank is glass. Anyone know of an insulator that would help retain the heat? I've seen online about using a polystyrene base under the heating pad, but I don't want the glass to crack if it gets too hot, or the Polystyrene to melt (Not sure what it's melting temp is.) plus it seems like the larger issue is the glass walls, so maybe some insulation for the walls? Also the lid is mesh, but has been covered with plastic to increase the humidity (which worked great), with a few holes provided for air.

Any ideas would be great, other than using a different cage, I like the glass for the aesthetics.
Old 03-15-14, 03:50 PM   #2
formica

Re: Retaining heat questions

if your room is cool, ie under 24C, you will have great difficulty maintaining the temperatures required for a BCC, in a glass tank with a heat mat.

you can try insulating the walls with polystyrene or foil, and yes polystyrene under the heat mat can help a little as well (and if the thermostat is setup correctly, it wont melt), but neither solution can increase ambient temps significantly

heat mats work best with wood and plastic when ambient temps are a concern, as the heat is distributed better and remains within a more stable range, and because the heat mat heats the wood or plastic, the ambient temperature also increases and remains more stable.

using a radiant heat source or increasing the ambient temperature in the room itself is the only way to really improve the situation.

but actually the biggest issue here, is that a 20 gallon glass tank, in a room with low ambient temps, is not suitable for a BCC, and I would be very surprised (and concerned) at any advice offered to the contrary.

you need a large wooden or plastic enclosure, basically.
Old 03-15-14, 05:02 PM   #3
Stewjoe

I agree, fish tanks are no place for a tropical snake. You could add a low wattage heat lamp above the tank to supplement the pad but then you risk drying it out too much.
Old 03-15-14, 05:09 PM   #4
Sublimeballs

Radient heat panel. It worth it.
Old 03-15-14, 07:00 PM   #5
Cmwells90

Actually I just started looking into a new cage, I think I'm gonna pick up something from Boaphile. It's about time to start looking for her final cage anyway. Thanks guys!
Old 03-15-14, 08:32 PM   #6
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Cover the top with tin foil instead of plastic and then set a heat lamp on top of it. This will act similar to a radiant heat panel.
Old 03-15-14, 09:20 PM   #7
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

heat mats/pads are little use in getting ambient air temperatures achieved mate

i would go with a non light emmiting ceramic bulb with a bulb guard...

this will give you a good easily controlled consistent basking spot temp,and perfect ambient air temps

heat mats/pads only really give off ground heat

you won't need any other heat source should you get a ceramic set up

cheers shaun