border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-14, 04:20 AM   #1
Skits

Breeder rat died?

I picked up 6 adult rats for free from someone, her pet store was giving them away as feeders and she took them in. I was told the females were maybe 4-6 months old, I had them for a bit over a month now. One of the females died today suddenly and I was wondering why it could have been? Seemed like she might have been pregnant and maybe died from complications? I'm not sure..

However, I did just realize I've been using cedar bedding which I know gives them RI so I'll change that out tomorrow (it's 5am now)..
3.0.0 dogs - 6.3.0 cats - 2.5.8 tarantulas - 0.1.0 skink - 1.0.0 beardie - 1.1.7 snakes - 0.0.3 scorpions - 0.1.0 leopard geckos - 0.0.1 crested - 1.1.0 golden geckos - 2.0.0 uros - 3.2.0 turtles - 0.1.0 toad - 0.0.3 black moors
Login to remove ads
Old 02-21-14, 11:07 AM   #2
Snakefood
mamma bear

Re: Breeder rat died?

could have been anything, alot of times people don't know how old the rats are, especially when they are the second/third ect... owner and rats don't have that long of a lifespan. it could have been the bedding (but then the others would probably be sick too, it could have been a bad pregnancy or it could have been a cancer which rats are extremely prone to.

You will probably never know unless you plan a necropsy
Old 02-21-14, 11:24 AM   #3
Lickeypie

I had a mouse that I got pregnant, I was planning to keep her until she gave birth and weaned the pups, but *I think* the night she was going to give birth she passed away.
Old 02-21-14, 11:33 AM   #4
CosmicOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickeypie View Post
I had a mouse that I got pregnant, I was planning to keep her until she gave birth and weaned the pups, but *I think* the night she was going to give birth she passed away.
That was a poor choice of words
Old 02-21-14, 11:46 AM   #5
Sharlynn93

^like button! that was funny...but in all seriousness, snakefood hit the nail on the head...idk if you were the first owner, but my pet rat that I had as a teen ended up passing from cancer at age 3.5...vet said it was quite common, and he had actually lived quite a long life for a rat...we used cedar bedding years ago for rodents and it was never an issue with them...never had respiratory issues or anything...(except for the 1 rat and the cancer wasn't linked to the bedding, supposedly, but that was 1989) I think the cedar is only a concern if they are going to be used for feeders (which is your case) because of the toxicity with reptiles...

Whatever you condemn, you have done yourself. ~Georg Groddeck
Login to remove ads
Old 02-21-14, 11:55 AM   #6
Lickeypie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicOwl View Post
That was a poor choice of words
Hahahah! I meant when I got her, she was already pregnant :3
Closed Thread