border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you manage to keep snakes?
In secret, my landlord would throw me out if they knew! 5 10.20%
I own my own home, so it's no problem. 21 42.86%
I live with parents and they are fine with it. 14 28.57%
I live with parents and they don't know about it or I'd be in big trouble! 1 2.04%
I have a reptile store, I keep my pets in the store. 0 0%
I have a very understanding landlord who allows me to keep snakes in my rented apartment. 6 12.24%
I do not keep snakes because I am not allowed. 0 0%
Other (please explain) 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-14, 08:59 AM   #1
limey

Do you keep snakes in secret?

We live in a society that is very intolerant of snakes, both as pets and in the wild - usually due to fear and misunderstanding. Knowing how hard it is to find a place to rent that will actually allow snakes, I wanted to post a poll to find out how you all manage to keep them...

Do you live with your parents who are fine with it? Do you keep them in secret from your landlord, who would throw you out if they knew? Do you own your own home and answer to nobody?

Please let us know your situation, it will be very interesting to find out!!!
Old 02-20-14, 09:13 AM   #2
Skits

Re: Do you keep snakes in secret?

I'm lucky my parents let me have them. I think they've gotten used to the fact I love my reptiles by now. My mom was hesitant of getting me my first snake, but I've always been the type to want a new type of animal and learn about them so I don't think they were too surprised. However, none of my parents know exactly how many I have. When my boyfriend and I move out, we'd probably hide them if we had to but with some of the snakes and reptiles I have (carpet pythons, boa, water monitor, etc), it wouldn't be easy.

Edit: I'm also lucky my boyfriend allows them. I wouldn't be able to hide them from him since he's always around them and helping me care for them.
3.0.0 dogs - 6.3.0 cats - 2.5.8 tarantulas - 0.1.0 skink - 1.0.0 beardie - 1.1.7 snakes - 0.0.3 scorpions - 0.1.0 leopard geckos - 0.0.1 crested - 1.1.0 golden geckos - 2.0.0 uros - 3.2.0 turtles - 0.1.0 toad - 0.0.3 black moors
Old 02-20-14, 09:18 AM   #3
drumcrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skits View Post
I'm lucky my parents let me have them. I think they've gotten used to the fact I love my reptiles by now. My mom was hesitant of getting me my first snake, but I've always been the type to want a new type of animal and learn about them so I don't think they were too surprised. However, none of my parents know exactly how many I have. When my boyfriend and I move out, we'd probably hide them if we had to but with some of the snakes and reptiles I have (carpet pythons, boa, water monitor, etc), it wouldn't be easy.

Edit: I'm also lucky my boyfriend allows them. I wouldn't be able to hide them from him since he's always around them and helping me care for them.
My mom was hesitant at first too you're lucky to be able to keep so many. I've been cut off at 4 animals :/ I'm not aloud to buy another til I get my license -.-
Old 02-20-14, 09:57 AM   #4
Sublimeballs

Im 24 and live on my own and I still will not tell my mom I have a yellow anaconda. The name anaconda would scare her. She knows I have retics and that doesn't bother her but the anaconda would worry her so I just don't tell her.
Old 02-20-14, 10:08 AM   #5
bigsnakegirl785

Currently I live with my mother, who will let me have however many I can care for as long as there's room and money for them. There's only room for what I have currently plus the garter I'm getting soon. We currently live in an apartment and the only rules here are that you're only allowed one dog OR cat, and you can have however many "caged animals" you want. That includes snakes, so I'm set as long as no other tenants complain. They're mostly young people like me, who don't care about snakes, though. The only person who didn't like them moved away recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeballs View Post
Im 24 and live on my own and I still will not tell my mom I have a yellow anaconda. The name anaconda would scare her. She knows I have retics and that doesn't bother her but the anaconda would worry her so I just don't tell her.
That's kinda funny, has she watched the Anaconda movies or something?
Old 02-20-14, 10:18 AM   #6
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Well BC Arboreals hid his snakes from his landlord and when the landlord found out he turned him into British Columbia's version of the dnr. The results were that about 50 snakes were euthanized as he didn't have the proper permits. And that is why it is so important to keep only legal species and to make sure what you have is permitted by whomever owns the place you rent.
Old 02-20-14, 11:24 AM   #7
limey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
And that is why it is so important to keep only legal species and to make sure what you have is permitted by whomever owns the place you rent.
I do tend to agree with you. This last weekend, I was helping host a local reptile expo (more of an educational expo than somewhere to make a purchase) and was surprised how many people I chatted with that were keeping them hidden in their parents' houses or had one in their rented property that the property manager didn't know about.

I guess it's the old "what they don't know won't hurt 'em". It appears that a lot of people get away with it just fine, however, some unfortunately don't - and the results can be devastating.

I thought this would be a really interesting poll to put up.

Be honest people! Nobody is going to get hung, drawn and quartered here - we just want some honest stats and see what we get!
Old 02-20-14, 11:46 AM   #8
limey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeballs View Post
Do you have any pics of your Eunectes? I would love to see him/her.

I am quite fond of yellows - very gorgeous patterning.
Old 02-20-14, 01:08 PM   #9
pdomensis

I own my own home so no worries there, but I do have a concern that the laws could change and all pythons or boas may become regulated. For that reason I don't really want it to be common knowledge that I keep snakes. Not saying I would break the law, but I don't need anyone complaining either.
Old 02-20-14, 01:22 PM   #10
wrecker45

I own i home. As a bonus this is an unorganised township no by laws.
1.Corn snake. 1.Mexican milk snake. 2.California king snakes. 2. Western hognose snakes. 1. Pastel checker garter. 1. Checker garter. 1.Columbian red tail boa. 1. Ball python. 1. Smooth green snake. 1. Five lined skink. 1. Grey tree frog. 1. Chinese water dragon. 3 Bearded Dragons. 2 Leapard Geckos. 1. Black cat. and Lucy my border collie/lab.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-20-14, 01:24 PM   #11
limey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdomensis View Post
I own my own home so no worries there, but I do have a concern that the laws could change and all pythons or boas may become regulated. For that reason I don't really want it to be common knowledge that I keep snakes. Not saying I would break the law, but I don't need anyone complaining either.
You guys that own your own homes are lucky. It gives you a lot more freedom when you don't have to answer to anybody but yourself.

Technically, I'm almost 30 and I could have bought a house by now but instead I chose the "travel the world" route in my early twenties that pretty much annihilated my savings account.

I chose to travel and see stuff, whereas many of my friends didn't go anywhere and settled on the homebuying route instead. I can still buy a home, but it will be in several years time. Whereas many of my mates had kids and got married after they bought the house, so they'll either miss out on the world travels or will have to postpone it till when they are much, much older and the kids have grown up.

I like to think I made a good choice back then. And wouldn't swap those memories for brick and mortar.

But still, a house seems pretty nice right now...
Old 02-20-14, 02:25 PM   #12
Lickeypie

My parents know about my reptiles, at this point they don't care- although my step mom does have random freak outs where she thinks the snakes are going to magically procreate and little bitty snakes are going to attack her in her sleep. But I do not dare tell my boyfriend's family the extent of my collection (they think I only have one bp and a beardie), they are very against snakes- not that I live with them or anything, they just rant about how horrible snakes are.
Old 02-20-14, 02:51 PM   #13
SnakeyJay
Boa Lover

I own my own home now so it's fine, however when I was in rented property it was also fine... Most landlords here in the UK just don't like dogs/cats or anything that will trash a house. Caged animals are generally overlooked in the UK from my experience.
Old 02-20-14, 03:11 PM   #14
IW17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakey-Jay View Post
I own my own home now so it's fine, however when I was in rented property it was also fine... Most landlords here in the UK just don't like dogs/cats or anything that will trash a house. Caged animals are generally overlooked in the UK from my experience.
I think that's the case most of the time. Most places specify no dogs/cats. But even the ones that say no pets, once you explain to them that it's a snake, lizard, fish, etc, that won't destroy property, leave a permanent smell, or attack the maintenance man, they don't care.
Old 02-20-14, 03:46 PM   #15
Sharlynn93

My daughter's landlord has a no dog/cat policy but she can have as many caged animals as she likes...she has none, but the option is there...she may take our little rescue bp once we get him gaining weight and shedding properly...she loves bp's...

Whatever you condemn, you have done yourself. ~Georg Groddeck
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread