border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-14, 06:32 PM   #1
deathdealer91

Talking angel fish

Anybody have any basic info on marbled angel fish? I'm thinking about getting a nickle sized marbled angel fish!!!

Last edited by alessia55; 03-31-14 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: spelling "angel"
Login to remove ads
Old 02-17-14, 09:14 PM   #2
Jim Smith

Re: angle fish

While I haven't kept fish in years, angel fish are not at all difficult to maintain and to get them to grow to very respectable size. Simply, keep the PH slightly on the acid side and the temps right and you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 02-17-14, 10:39 PM   #3
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

What size is your tank? Angels don't stay small for long - they get large and need adequate space.

Be careful what other fish you put them in with. When they are that young they are fragile, and often fall prey to nippy fish such as barbs and tetras.
Instagram: pareeeee17
Old 02-18-14, 10:44 AM   #4
Deva

I have always had a problem getting small angelfish to survive. Pareee is right, they are fragile. I would go with a larger one. Also, they like warm temperature water - around 80F. Good advise about not keeping them with barbs. Also once I had three together and they were fighting all the time. Two were evidently a pair and eggs were laid but none hatched. In the process the male was fighting with the other one all the time and eventually died from the injuries.
0.0.1 Thayeri Kingsnake, 0.0.1 Tiger Salamander, 5 fire bellied toads, 2 Kweichow Newts, 0.0.1 Red Salamander, 2 fire salamanders, 0.0.1 Loveridge's limbless skink, 1.0 crested gecko,0.0.1 Chahoua Gecko, 3 Pictus Geckos, 1 Velvet Banded gecko, 1.0 dwarf yellow headed gecko, 0.1 cat.
Old 02-18-14, 11:22 AM   #5
DragonsEye

Had to laugh when I read "angle fish" in the thread title ... sounded like something elementary teachers would use in a lesson to introduce the kiddies to shapes and making angle measurements. (Matter of fact, I think I will mention that to some elementary teachers I know and see if they have used such ideas to create interest in such lessons.
Old 02-18-14, 12:23 PM   #6
dbank999

Do you measure the size an Angle fish with a ruler or a protractor? LOL
The Marble Veil Angel is a strain of angelfish that has a black, white, and yellow marbled pattern. The fins are long and thin with delicate-looking webbing, and will typically extend past the length of the body.
It prefers a well-planted tank of at least 30 gallons with soft, slightly acidic water. Rocks and driftwood can be added to the aquarium, but leave plenty of space for swimming.

It is best, when trying to breed the Marble Veil Angel, to house a number of angels in the same aquarium until they pair off. After a pair has developed, a flat surface needs to be provided where the eggs can be laid. A piece of slate, a large plant leaf, or even a flowerpot should be positioned at an angle of about 30 degrees in an area of moderate water flow. The female will lay the eggs and the male will follow behind to fertilize. After approximately three days, the eggs will hatch and the fry will emerge. Feed the fry newly hatched brine shrimp until large enough to accept crushed flake food.

The Marble Veil Angel needs to be fed a variety of foods including vegetables as well as meaty foods. Feed a quality flake food as well as live and frozen foods such as brine shrimp and bloodworms.
Great site for info and to purchase from

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Marble Veil Angel
Old 02-18-14, 02:27 PM   #7
deathdealer91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pareeeee View Post
What size is your tank? Angels don't stay small for long - they get large and need adequate space.

Be careful what other fish you put them in with. When they are that young they are fragile, and often fall prey to nippy fish such as barbs and tetras.
I have a 55 gallon tat i only have one pleco in right now. i also have some Christmas moss growing too. lol
Old 02-19-14, 05:07 AM   #8
deathdealer91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbank999 View Post
Do you measure the size an Angle fish with a ruler or a protractor? LOL
The Marble Veil Angel is a strain of angelfish that has a black, white, and yellow marbled pattern. The fins are long and thin with delicate-looking webbing, and will typically extend past the length of the body.
It prefers a well-planted tank of at least 30 gallons with soft, slightly acidic water. Rocks and driftwood can be added to the aquarium, but leave plenty of space for swimming.

It is best, when trying to breed the Marble Veil Angel, to house a number of angels in the same aquarium until they pair off. After a pair has developed, a flat surface needs to be provided where the eggs can be laid. A piece of slate, a large plant leaf, or even a flowerpot should be positioned at an angle of about 30 degrees in an area of moderate water flow. The female will lay the eggs and the male will follow behind to fertilize. After approximately three days, the eggs will hatch and the fry will emerge. Feed the fry newly hatched brine shrimp until large enough to accept crushed flake food.

The Marble Veil Angel needs to be fed a variety of foods including vegetables as well as meaty foods. Feed a quality flake food as well as live and frozen foods such as brine shrimp and bloodworms.
Great site for info and to purchase from

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Marble Veil Angel
i don't have one yet. lol. its at my local pet store petco. all it said was: marbled angle fish nickle size
Old 02-19-14, 11:12 AM   #9
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

Your tank is ample size for angelfish.

Angelfish and Plecostemos should get along ok, since plecos usually keep to themselves. Most people keep them together with no problems.

I personally will not buy angels that young. They don't last long unless your water is PERFECT, they catch diseases easily, plus most other fish will bully them. I always buy older angels.

Also, the store is wrong, they are called Angel Fish (Pterophyllum scalare), not Angle Fish.
Instagram: pareeeee17
Old 02-20-14, 11:11 AM   #10
deathdealer91

Quote:
Your tank is ample size for angelfish.

Angelfish and Plecostemos should get along ok, since plecos usually keep to themselves. Most people keep them together with no problems.

I personally will not buy angels that young. They don't last long unless your water is PERFECT, they catch diseases easily, plus most other fish will bully them. I always buy older angels.

Also, the store is wrong, they are called Angel Fish (Pterophyllum scalare), not Angle Fish.
Ok. thank you. and ill have to let them know that they made a typo. lol. Thank you for the advice. ill consider everything you have told me. Oh and also, what live foods can i feed them? on the web it say you can feed live, frozen, or freeze dried.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-30-14, 10:09 PM   #11
deathdealer91

Talking Re: angle fish

Quote:

I have a 55 gallon long tank. lots of fake plants and lots of filtering. i keep the temps between 75 and 80 degrees and they are the only fish in there. two of them. they are getting bigger. whenn they do i might put them in the 120 gallon tank i got.
Closed Thread