sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Lampropeltis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-13, 05:55 PM   #1
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Caesar's not eating

I dont know what's going on but Hannibal Caesar didnt eat again tonight. He ate a week ago so I figured he'd be chomping at the bit when I offered food tonight. Last week he ate his first mouse but refused the 2nd. He's normally a beast when it comes to feeding so I'm a little concerned. I tried feeding from the tongs but he didn't take. I just covered his tank and will see if he eats overnight. Temps are spot on- 78 on the cool side, 88 on the hot side. Sasha Fierce is in deep blue so I didn't try feeding her. Any ideas on what could be wrong?
Login to remove ads
Old 10-10-13, 06:20 PM   #2
drumcrush

Re: Caesar's not eating

Oh no! Try leaving him in his feeding container and put a towel or a blanket over it. Works for me all the time
Old 10-10-13, 07:31 PM   #3
SSSSnakes

Missing a few meals is not a problem. Don't worry and don't stress him out by trying to feed him to often.
Old 10-10-13, 07:34 PM   #4
drumcrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSSnakes View Post
Missing a few meals is not a problem. Don't worry and don't stress him out by trying to feed him to often.
^^^ I agree. Over winter, my Mbk went almost 3 months without eating. As soon as spring rolled around, she was hopping on those mice pretty fast! Haha
Old 10-10-13, 08:19 PM   #5
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Thanks guys. Should I continue attempting to feed once a week?
Login to remove ads
Old 10-10-13, 08:22 PM   #6
SSSSnakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
Thanks guys. Should I continue attempting to feed once a week?
Once a week is fine, but not more than that.
Old 10-10-13, 08:43 PM   #7
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSSnakes View Post
Thanks Jerry, I was definitely starting to worry. I'll try again in 7 days.
Old 10-10-13, 10:14 PM   #8
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumcrush View Post
^^^ I agree. Over winter, my Mbk went almost 3 months without eating. As soon as spring rolled around, she was hopping on those mice pretty fast! Haha
Nice to know DC. I've heard of other snakes going off feed for periods of time but this is the first I've heard of it with kings. I hate wasting the mice but at least I feel reassured that nothing's wrong with Caesar. Good thing we just got a new supply of mice . Sasha Fierce should finish shedding in a couple of days. Hopefully she'll be hungry. I'll keep everyone posted. It's getting cooler here but still in the 70's during the day and low 60's at night. No big changes in temps in their vivs though. This will be my first winter with the snakes, anything else I should prepare for?

Last edited by EL Ziggy; 10-10-13 at 10:22 PM..
Old 10-11-13, 04:35 AM   #9
drumcrush

Quote:
Nice to know DC. I've heard of other snakes going off feed for periods of time but this is the first I've heard of it with kings. I hate wasting the mice but at least I feel reassured that nothing's wrong with Caesar. Good thing we just got a new supply of mice . Sasha Fierce should finish shedding in a couple of days. Hopefully she'll be hungry. I'll keep everyone posted. It's getting cooler here but still in the 70's during the day and low 60's at night. No big changes in temps in their vivs though. This will be my first winter with the snakes, anything else I should prepare for?
Oh sweet all I can say is to just keep your eye on those temps.
Old 10-11-13, 07:33 AM   #10
sharthun

Keep us posted!

Steve
Login to remove ads
Old 10-11-13, 08:32 AM   #11
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharthun View Post
Keep us posted!
I will definitely keep everyone posted Steve. Have any of your snakes ever gone off feeding for a while? I guess this is technically just Caesar's first missed feed so I won't worry too much.
Old 10-11-13, 08:51 AM   #12
sharthun

Quote:
I will definitely keep everyone posted Steve. Have any of your snakes ever gone off feeding for a while? I guess this is technically just Caesar's first missed feed so I won't worry too much.
Yeah Augustus is finicky sometimes and will not eat while in shed and has refused food while not in shed a couple times. I'm lucky though, I just feed the mouse to Dawg! lol the garbage disposal! I had a BCI back in the day and she would go off feed sometimes. I wouldn't worry too much. Just wait another week and try again. Is his behavior any different other than refusing to eat? Your temps sound good btw.

Steve
Old 10-11-13, 10:52 AM   #13
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharthun View Post
Yeah Augustus is finicky sometimes and will not eat while in shed and has refused food while not in shed a couple times. I'm lucky though, I just feed the mouse to Dawg! lol the garbage disposal! I had a BCI back in the day and she would go off feed sometimes. I wouldn't worry too much. Just wait another week and try again. Is his behavior any different other than refusing to eat? Your temps sound good btw.
His behavior is pretty normal. The only thing that's changed is I was feeding him in a separate feeding bin but I started feeding him in his viv about a month ago. This is the first time he didn't eat besides his last feed when he didn't want seconds. I guess it happens sometimes so I won't worry. I'm just used to his normally voracious appetite. I'm sure the animals and insects in the woods behind my apartment will enjoy the discarded mouse. Let's hope Sasha Fierce eats when she finishes her shed in a day or 2.
Old 10-11-13, 10:56 AM   #14
sharthun

Quote:
His behavior is pretty normal. The only thing that's changed is I was feeding him in a separate feeding bin but I started feeding him in his viv about a month ago. This is the first time he didn't eat besides his last feed when he didn't want seconds. I guess it happens sometimes so I won't worry. I'm just used to his normally voracious appetite. I'm sure the animals and insects in the woods behind my apartment will enjoy the discarded mouse. Let's hope Sasha Fierce eats when she finishes her shed in a day or 2.
Yeah, Sasha will be ready! We also have 2 cats so if i discard a mouse, they bring it right back in! lol Doe's Caesar follow the mouse with the tongs? I make mine follow the mouse for a little bit of hunting skillz lol.

Steve
Old 10-16-13, 09:17 AM   #15
sharthun

Quote:
I dont know what's going on but Hannibal Caesar didnt eat again tonight. He ate a week ago so I figured he'd be chomping at the bit when I offered food tonight. Last week he ate his first mouse but refused the 2nd. He's normally a beast when it comes to feeding so I'm a little concerned. I tried feeding from the tongs but he didn't take. I just covered his tank and will see if he eats overnight. Temps are spot on- 78 on the cool side, 88 on the hot side. Sasha Fierce is in deep blue so I didn't try feeding her. Any ideas on what could be wrong?
Any luck with the feeding?

Steve
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread