border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-13, 06:16 PM   #1
Southernangel

Shedding question first snake!

Ok I got a ball python baby at repticon in may and he is starting to xxxhave signs of sheding but I dont know if im doing all I can to help him shed good in his tank I have him on a towel easy to tell ifhes pooped and stuff and they said it was fine and I have a rockhideon one side and a little half log on the other the room hes in stays about 80 and what I read said that was fine I have an undertank heater I just dont want to over heat him cause I dont have away to control the temp of it. I also have a water dish that he drinms out of and I take him out every now and then on sunny days to soak up the sun and play outside. Any tips would be great but just didnt know if I should keep his tank more moist or not than just a water dish.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-21-13, 08:21 PM   #2
Starbuck

Re: Shedding question first snake!

you should be measuring humidity with a digital hygrometer (the analog dial style are often inaccurate), as well as temperatures (not just ambient room temp). I would also get a thermostat ASAP for the under tank heater. If you don't have the means to do that right away, i would unplug it for now.

As for shedding, yes the humidity should be a little higher. Since you dont have a way to measure that right now (?), i'd make a humid hide for your snake. Take a small plastic food container (yogurt, take out, w/e) that is clean and seals shut. Cut a hole in the side only slightly larger than your snake, and put damp sphagnum moss inside, or paper towels. You want them moist, not dripping wet. Put the lid back on, and place it in the tank. Dont be concerned if your snake spends a good deal of time (i.e. all of his time) inside this hide for now. If he is going into shed he needs this high humidity micro-environment.

Can you give us a little more information on your set up? what size/style of tank is it etc?
0.1 Jungle Carpet "Bhageera", 2.0 Corn snakes "Castor & Pollux", 1.1 Cal Kings "Lux & Nyx", 0.1 Honduran Milksnake "Demeter", 0.1 Rosy boa "Neki-monster", 1.0 Axolotl "Grendle", 2 tarantulas, 0.1 Leopard gecko "Remus", and a freezer full of mice (and Rats!)….
Old 06-21-13, 09:20 PM   #3
Amadeus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernangel View Post
Ok I got a ball python baby at repticon in may and he is starting to xxxhave signs of sheding but I dont know if im doing all I can to help him shed good in his tank I have him on a towel easy to tell ifhes pooped and stuff and they said it was fine and I have a rockhideon one side and a little half log on the other the room hes in stays about 80 and what I read said that was fine I have an undertank heater I just dont want to over heat him cause I dont have away to control the temp of it. I also have a water dish that he drinms out of and I take him out every now and then on sunny days to soak up the sun and play outside. Any tips would be great but just didnt know if I should keep his tank more moist or not than just a water dish.
I hope English is you second language.

Humidity should be about 65-75 during sheds, this could be accomplished through the use of a larger water bowl. or misting your enclosure.

80f? what? you need a cool side and a hot side. those temps should be 91-95 hot 77-80 cool.

Don't handle while in shed, it causes stress.
Old 06-21-13, 09:26 PM   #4
Starbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
I hope English is you second language.
Seriously? Take your attitude elsewhere, and keep things about the reptiles. thanks.
0.1 Jungle Carpet "Bhageera", 2.0 Corn snakes "Castor & Pollux", 1.1 Cal Kings "Lux & Nyx", 0.1 Honduran Milksnake "Demeter", 0.1 Rosy boa "Neki-monster", 1.0 Axolotl "Grendle", 2 tarantulas, 0.1 Leopard gecko "Remus", and a freezer full of mice (and Rats!)….
Old 06-21-13, 09:42 PM   #5
rocknhorse76

The English is just fine, but the typing could use a little work lol. We definitely got the idea though, so no worries.
Like Starbuck said, give us the details on what type of enclosure he's in. I'd also recommend that you get a thermostat, a digital thermometer/hygrometer (humidity meter), and a temperature gun ASAP.

You can get a temp gun at any pet store like Petco or Petsmart. Zoo Med brand will work just fine.
The thermo/hygro meter can be found at Walmart for $8.94 (Accurite brand)
A decent, yet inexpensive thermostat can be found here Amazon.com: Hydrofarm MTPRTC Digital Thermostat For Heat Mats: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Old 06-21-13, 10:23 PM   #6
Southernangel

The tank is a 20g
Old 06-21-13, 10:30 PM   #7
Southernangel

The breeder that I got him from and most breeders iv talked to said a higher one temp room is ok for ball pythons...
Old 06-22-13, 12:33 AM   #8
Lickeypie

lowes sells temp guns for $20, I saw them there last weekend.. they reduced the price from $35
Closed Thread

Tags
ball python, care, shed, snake