sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-16, 05:46 PM   #16
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Make sure your bredli is well fed!

I hope you and your critter are both fine John. I'm sure he was plenty hungry after 5 weeks and attacked the first warm object he saw. I'm on vacation now and it'll be 2 weeks since all of my snakes have eaten. I'm planning on feeding my adult carpets every 14 days.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 07-09-16, 08:44 PM   #17
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Thanks Meso...

See...we really did not have all the facts. To the OP...hope your bredli doesn't nail you again...but if it does, unless there are some teeth embedded that you can't get out or if you pull away and require stitches...an emergency visit may not be warranted.
Old 07-10-16, 01:14 AM   #18
Ian of Oldham

Well I did not use any words that indicted abuse but more concern than abuse, also that if you was it the same situation that you my take a bite at anything that looks like prey.
Old 07-10-16, 03:12 AM   #19
PatrickT

I stand for my words. Leaving an animal for 5 weeks without food is animal abuse for me.
Old 07-10-16, 05:11 AM   #20
John962

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Ziggy View Post
I hope you and your critter are both fine John. I'm sure he was plenty hungry after 5 weeks and attacked the first warm object he saw. I'm on vacation now and it'll be 2 weeks since all of my snakes have eaten. I'm planning on feeding my adult carpets every 14 days.
Thanks for your kind wishes Ziggy. Good luck with y snakes.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-10-16, 05:15 AM   #21
John962

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickT View Post
I stand for my words. Leaving an animal for 5 weeks without food is animal abuse for me.
OK Patrick, I hear your opinion. I think we have to to get the right balance for the good health of our animals. Many people overfeed their reptiles and make them obese. Obviously in this situation I was at fault.
Old 07-10-16, 06:35 AM   #22
gebon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John962 View Post
What surprised me about this experience is the power of a bredli bite.
Yes, it's good pressure in the bite in adult carpet pythons and must be experienced to be understood
Old 07-10-16, 08:13 AM   #23
Ian of Oldham

Well hear ends the first lesson.
Old 07-10-16, 09:25 AM   #24
jpsteele80

Wow every 4 weeks that is just sad, I don't have bredli's but my snakes eat ever 7 days. If I was that snake I would have bit you as well.
Old 07-27-16, 03:45 PM   #25
dannybgoode

Quote:
Wow every 4 weeks that is just sad, I don't have bredli's but my snakes eat ever 7 days. If I was that snake I would have bit you as well.
Totally depends on the species and age of snake. Feeding an adult boa constrictor or imperator every 7 days could be considered abuse as they should be fed every 4-6 weeks. Feed an adult boa weekly and it will die young from fatty liver disease in all likelihood.

Similarly every 7 days is way to often for the vast majority of pythons also.

In fact every 7 days is too often for the vast majority of snake species full stop. Yes there are exceptions but not many.

Perhaps research the snake in question before posting a comment like this.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Login to remove ads
Old 07-27-16, 09:10 PM   #26
sirtalis

Hardly, keep a reptile in a proper enclosure and fatty liver disease will probably never be an issue, yes certain species such as boas are better off every few weeks but a bredli has a higher metabolism and requires higher temps so I'd go every 7-10 days for an adult
Old 07-28-16, 02:19 PM   #27
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Hooks bro. Hook train your snakes and this becomes a non-issue.
Old 07-28-16, 02:27 PM   #28
Snake_eyes_88

I definitely second the hooks idea... I can't suggest them enough to people, they save so many bites and make the whole thing less stressful on both the keeper and snake.
Old 07-30-16, 09:12 PM   #29
franks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
Totally depends on the species and age of snake. Feeding an adult boa constrictor or imperator every 7 days could be considered abuse as they should be fed every 4-6 weeks. Feed an adult boa weekly and it will die young from fatty liver disease in all likelihood.

Similarly every 7 days is way to often for the vast majority of pythons also.

In fact every 7 days is too often for the vast majority of snake species full stop. Yes there are exceptions but not many.

Perhaps research the snake in question before posting a comment like this.
I agree. How often you should be feeding a snake depends on many different husbandry variables. I do agree that feeding most snakes once every 7 days is overfeeding.
To the OP if you want to continue feeding once every 4 weeks or so I would suggest having some "seasonal" periods where it gets a few meals for that month. Obviously, with a feeding schedule like that it is even more important to make sure prey is ample size.
Old 07-31-16, 01:48 AM   #30
John962

Thanks for all the sensible comments. I was feeding him every month because the meal size was relatively very large, a large rat for a 2 metre snake left a very big bulge. But I did that because so many carpet keepers on forums suggest that they can easily take huge meals.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread