border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-16, 04:37 PM   #1
reptiledude987

Thoughts and input on a serpentarium

So a friend and I have been considering opening a serpentarium for a while now. We've found a good space in a tourist heavy area. We are planning to lay it out so that each section is a different continent. With zoo accreditation we will have venomous species as well.

The reason I'm posting this is to get some ideas and opinions on some things that you guys would like to see at zoos that they don't usually have or things that you wouldn't keep yourself. Also any other thoughts ideas or opinions please let me know.
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Login to remove ads
Old 03-06-16, 04:44 PM   #2
trailblazer295

Re: Thoughts and input on a serpentarium

Giants would be nice, not only for those that don't keep them but would be good education for those considering them but don't realize how big that cute worm in a cup will end up being.
Old 03-06-16, 05:48 PM   #3
reptiledude987

We will have a dwarf platinum retic and a SD. But won't likely have the space for a mainland.
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Old 03-06-16, 05:49 PM   #4
Tiny Boidae

I would like to see communal settings, where more than one species is present in a large enclosure. I would usually think against it, but I'd think you'd have the resources and knowledge at hand to pull off something I've personally never seen in person before... Wait, scratch that. I had gone to an alligator farm last summer and they had a setup with a blood python and 2 other species (only remember the one) in a VERY spacious enclosure. What was interesting about it though was that each snake occupied a different niche and had plenty of room and hiding opportunities so that they probably rarely intermingled. But by spacious, I meant it was about the size of my bedroom kinda spacious. Something like that would be nice to see.

Edit:
Did a lot of searching on the internet for a picture of the enclosure... And I think my memory had exaggerated the size of the enclosure ^.^ It's the big one on the left, best pic I could find
http://www.zoochat.com/615/reptile-house-90392/

Last edited by Tiny Boidae; 03-06-16 at 06:05 PM..
Old 03-06-16, 05:57 PM   #5
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I think it's a great idea. I say show as many species of snakes, lizards, and frogs as your resources allow. Best wishes in your endeavor.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 03-06-16, 06:13 PM   #6
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Boidae View Post
I would like to see communal settings, where more than one species is present in a large enclosure. I would usually think against it, but I'd think you'd have the resources and knowledge at hand to pull off something I've personally never seen in person before... Wait, scratch that. I had gone to an alligator farm last summer and they had a setup with a blood python and 2 other species (only remember the one) in a VERY spacious enclosure. What was interesting about it though was that each snake occupied a different niche and had plenty of room and hiding opportunities so that they probably rarely intermingled. But by spacious, I meant it was about the size of my bedroom kinda spacious. Something like that would be nice to see.

Edit:
Did a lot of searching on the internet for a picture of the enclosure... And I think my memory had exaggerated the size of the enclosure ^.^ It's the big one on the left, best pic I could find
Reptile House » St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park Gallery
Eh even then I'd be against it, I've heard of zoos keeping stuff like a breeding pair of scrubs in cages much much larger than bedroom-sized and having males/females injured or killed.

To be plain, I don't expect this from the majority of species, but it goes to show you things can go wrong, even in a big enclosure, and cannibalism will still be a possibility.

I personally like when I can handle the snakes, so maybe find a few snakes that are ok with being handled and offer a handling day once a month or VIP access for people to handle the snakes. Idk, whatever would work, but hands-on stuff tends to be a hit.

I can understand not doing that though, as people aren't always gentle or very clean, just a suggestion.
Old 03-06-16, 06:18 PM   #7
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

I love it when the walk ways are dim or dark and the natural enclosures are super well lit. Also, when the outside of the enclosures look like their habbitats like special trees or rocks.

Also, LOVE it when I can get hands on. So having even simple animals that take being handled well. Even things like common pets such as bearded dragons, leos, cresties, different kindso snakes and so on.

It could also be neat to include an insect area to educate about diets and stuff. And again, tactile. Letting people handle the bugs and learn about theor nutrition and so on.

Would be cool to have things that are also more rare to be handled.

Reltated activities that are crafty and I loooove related figurines of the animals I have seen. Could be cool to do one of those egg machines with a little plastics toy in it that the kids can put a quarter in or something. Could get really interesting if te eggs looked like reptile eggs! Lol.

Oh. Also, I liked it when there were rooms with infermational shows going. Like national geograpgic stuff. And of course live shows.

There really is sooo much you could do, would really deend on your budget. =)

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 03-07-16, 02:39 PM   #8
reptiledude987

Thanks for some of these really great ides and please keep them coming! It will most like be strictly snakes. We do plan to do full guided educational tours as well as some things that visitors will be able to interact with.

One thing we want to have made is a large acrylic aquarium/terrarium with rounded corners that will double as a counter that will have a banded sea krait in it.

Also for things that are nervous and reclusive we will be putting a 2 way mirror so they can't see people walking by and looking at them. That way the things that don't like to be seen won't look like it's just a big empty enclosure.
Old 03-07-16, 02:57 PM   #9
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Those are great ideas! I do suggest that you offer more than just snakes though. Not that snakes aren't enough on their own, but looking at it from a business stand point, you are more likely to get more business with a more varied collection. And, it would draw in those who aren't fond of snakes but do like lizards or amphibians.

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 03-07-16, 02:57 PM   #10
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

How do you plan to generate income for the business? Have you done a proper business plan?

What type of demographic do you have living in a 5 mile, 10 mile, 25 mile and 50 mile radius?

I think it's a fine idea but a strict serpentarium is tough to do. I would go with other species, especially crocodillians as people think those are bad ***.

Not trying to be a jerk I just want to see you succeed and not have to learn things the hard way.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-07-16, 04:07 PM   #11
Mad Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptiledude987 View Post
We will have a dwarf platinum retic and a SD. But won't likely have the space for a mainland.
This won't help then, but I'd like to see the less common anaconda species. Anything I haven't seen in person before would be interesting though.
Old 03-07-16, 07:04 PM   #12
pet_snake_78

Many have pulled it off but I don't know how many failed either. I have been to many in Latin America and they seem to be making a go of it, but there is also a low cost of living there and the zoos are often not world class to compete with. The expense in Canada would seem significant. I wonder if it makes sense to combine such an effort with another income generator to help cover the operating costs such as non-venomous birthday parties or perhaps only having the center open to the public during the summer and then teaching the rest of the year?
Old 03-07-16, 07:21 PM   #13
jpsteele80

I think its's a pretty sweet idea, only problem i see is your just catering to one type of crowd which is fine if that's what your trying to do, a lot of people will visit a zoo and never step foot into the reptile house. I think an even sweeter idea would be to just give me all the animals you plan on putting in there and call it a day
Old 03-07-16, 07:34 PM   #14
MDT

I would echo Aaron's thoughts man. I'm assuming your space is a rental? So how many "admissions" will you need to pay rent, utilities, insurance, vet costs, food costs, and salaries? I don't know about the tax structure in Canada, but you've figured that in on your pro forma? Having run a business (medical clinic) for several years, the widgets you sell (in my case, sick visits..in your case, admission tickets) may take several years to ramp up to what you would call "self sustaining"- most small businesses do. Can you stand 24 months of no personal income? How are the banks in Canada in terms of small business loans? I ask, because since the tanked economy in the U.S., it's tough to get a capital loan. Lots of stuff to consider...I hope you can do it! Sounds like a neat idea. Best of luck.

On the chance you guys are like business majors/M.B.A.'s and venture capitalists, disregard everything I wrote and go buy a bunch of big, rare stuff and have a ball!!
Old 03-08-16, 10:44 AM   #15
macandchz

i agree with trailblazer. it's the giant ones that get the kids attention ( and mine ) every time.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread