border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Lampropeltis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-16, 09:01 PM   #1
trailblazer295

Does this mean anything?

This might be a dumb question but I'm anxious. My king is curled up in her humid hid for the first time that I've noticed. Now she has a hot and cold hide, a skull in the middle and can bury herself. She hasn't shed in the 6 weeksish I've owned her so wondering if this is a sign she is getting ready to shed soon? Her feeding with me has been weekly instead of bi weekly from previous owner. It has be suspected by others in my other thread that she has stuck shed over her eyes obscuring her vision so I'm really hoping for a shed soon to clear that up.
Old 02-13-16, 09:32 PM   #2
AZretic

Re: Does this mean anything?

Do you see any shed on her eyes? Is she going blue?
Old 02-13-16, 09:36 PM   #3
trailblazer295

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZretic View Post
Do you see any shed on her eyes? Is she going blue?
I can't tell about the blue but her eyes have a crusty white coloration. My other thread on her has more detail
Old 02-13-16, 09:53 PM   #4
Jim Smith

If her eyes are whitish opaque coloration, that is a sign that she's preparing to shed. In a day or so, her eyes will clear up and two or three days later, she should shed.
Old 02-13-16, 10:00 PM   #5
trailblazer295

The crusty eyes was a week ago. Wasn't the normal opaque blue I've seen from my BP
Old 02-14-16, 01:06 AM   #6
toddnbecka

If she does have retained eyecaps from a previous shed it wouldn't be surprising if she didn't look blue this round. My Jap rats typically duck out of sight for a while before shedding, so does the everglades rat. The thayeri don't have a humid hide, but they shed cleanly and perfect one-piece every time, so I don't bother giving them one.
Fingers crossed your new girl sheds cleanly this time.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 02-14-16, 07:57 AM   #7
Lefitte

Could be a sign of a shed to come! If she's got retained eye caps then hopefully it is. My king loves her humid hide. I've tried paper towels and moss, she just loves it. It's not even really humid at this point but I spray it down when I see a shed approaching. It's one of her favorite hides and she has... 5 actual hides plus corners that count as hides. So it could also just be preference.
Old 02-14-16, 09:39 AM   #8
macandchz

dear trailblazer295, i just wanted to share with you something i read about retained eye caps. i've never had to do this, but, this source said you go to a dollar store and buy one of those soft rubber thumbs that you have seen people at a bank count money with. then you gently use that to lift off the retained caps. they said this also works when your snake doesn't shed completely. but you have to be real gentle. has anyone else heard of this?l
Old 02-14-16, 11:33 AM   #9
trailblazer295

This is would be her first shed in my care so I'm hoping it goes smooth. I'll give her a chance to do it herself. She has ample water, regular feeding and humid hide so crossing my fingers.
Old 02-14-16, 12:52 PM   #10
macandchz

dear trailblazer295, sounds like she should do well with her shed. i'm still trying to convert mac back to eating f/t. he acted like he was nice and hungry and so i tried f/t today instead of his preferred fresh killed. forget it. he wouldn't touch it. I'm starting to feel like"mouse assassin". I'm going to wait him out. If he gets hungrier he may give in.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-14-16, 02:38 PM   #11
prairiepanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandchz View Post
dear trailblazer295, i just wanted to share with you something i read about retained eye caps. i've never had to do this, but, this source said you go to a dollar store and buy one of those soft rubber thumbs that you have seen people at a bank count money with. then you gently use that to lift off the retained caps. they said this also works when your snake doesn't shed completely. but you have to be real gentle. has anyone else heard of this?l
I would just use a damp cotton swab or cloth instead. If it doesn't come off easily with a damp swab or cloth then it would be best to leave it there for it to come off with the next shed. Using more forceful methods like the rubber thumb could cause damage. I know it doesn't sound forceful, but rubber would create a lot more friction and pulling force than a damp swab.

But yeah, sounds like the snake is getting ready to shed. Those old eye caps should come off along with the shed if everything goes well.
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Old 02-19-16, 03:38 PM   #12
reptiledude987

My woma just had a stuck eyecap. I let him soak in warm water for around 15 min. When I took him out held him behind the head and they peeled off quite easily.
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Closed Thread