border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Varanid

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-16, 04:19 PM   #1
reptiledude987

Tree monitor enclosure

So I have always loved varanids and am strongly considering adding a tree monitor to my collection. Im leaning towards a blue tree but not dead set on anything spesific as of yet. This addition will be at least a year away so I have lots of time to build or buy an appropriate enclosure. I was wondering if anyone could share some info on setups and maybe some pictures for design ideas as well.
Thanks.
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Login to remove ads
Old 01-21-16, 06:46 PM   #2
sirtalis

Re: Tree monitor enclosure

I have a peacock monitor, its care is essentially the same as the other tree monitors, atm I have it in a 5Lx2.5Wx6T ft enclosure. I'll try to get a few pics but my phone is almost dead lol . You'll want the monitor to be able to move from one side of the cage to the other without being seen, reptilewhisperer on youtube has some amazing specimens so you should definitely check her out.

Last edited by sirtalis; 01-21-16 at 06:55 PM..
Old 01-21-16, 06:57 PM   #3
reptiledude987

Ill check out those videos for sure. I hadnt heard of her before so Ill take a look. Those are the dimensions I had in mind. I planned to have lots of climbable branches but how do you set it up so that it can climb around without being seen?
Im also wondering if they would make use of a swimming area or not?
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Old 01-21-16, 07:40 PM   #4
sirtalis

I thought about a pond area but It was too much work for me lol I hung fake ivy (the cheap stuff from a craft store) across the back wall and he often hangs out behind it, I think it was $10 for 6 ft, I'm gonna get more try to cover all the walls.
Old 01-21-16, 09:19 PM   #5
chairman

I recall a tree monitor keeper recommending cork rounds almost as tall as the enclosure and with an internal diameter that allowed the monitor to go inside it. A combination of several of those and dense hanging plants (trees can easily die from being uprooted) to provide cover. I think that the same keeper suggested that having tree monitors was akin to having an empty enclosure that contained plants that mysteriously ate mice. They sure are good looking, though.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-23-16, 04:01 PM   #6
pet_snake_78

Great idea for a purchase. IMO the blue and also the green tree monitors are some of the most captivating species of reptiles available.
Old 02-14-16, 09:35 PM   #7
Blueblood

All of these are great suggestions! Again check out Reptilewhispers channel she has a good care guide and lots of feeding videos. Make sure to include a nest box and some sort of cork or coco fibre sheeting on all sides to maximize the amount of surface area able to be used. The fact that you live in Canada (like me) means that it will be a struggle to find any tree monitors let alone captive bred ones. The only guys working with blue trees in Canada to the best of my knowledge is Canadian Coldblood they also have peacock monitors and timors and lots of other dwarf monitors if that's what your into. Good luck😄😄
Old 02-19-16, 02:22 PM   #8
reptiledude987

Thanks for the suggestions on the setup Ideas. I will keep all of these in mind when the time comes to set up an enclosure. As far as wc vs cb the one I will be getting will be a wc. I know several people who have ordered them through the same importer and they usualy come in in really good condition.
Old 02-19-16, 06:42 PM   #9
Primal Rage

Here are a couple pics of my hatchling V.prasinus setup. It was my first time building a false wall in a vivarium. The set up is a 36" x 18" x 36" exo terra. My hatchling came from a "farm" in Indo... I had my reservations regarding the overall health of the little guy but after a check up he only had worms. Which was a relief. He eats gut loaded crickets chopped pinkys and small pieces of raw chicken thighs. If you trust your importer go for it! They are awesome animals!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0122.jpg (25.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0119.jpg (26.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0124 (2).jpg (23.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 02-19-16, 07:04 PM   #10
trailblazer295

WOW nice cage and stunning lizard. Very jealous for sure.
Old 02-21-16, 07:33 AM   #11
Primal Rage

trailblazer295- Thank you! Building the false wall was actually much easier than I thought. The most difficult and expensive part was buying all the cork rounds. The little guy is pretty shy but will eat off tongs which was surprising. I can't wait til he/she mellows out!
Closed Thread